New menus on Ruby

jasbo49

We got off the Ruby Princess last Saturday and were jazzed to see the MDR menus have gotten an overhaul. I'm surprised no one else has reported this, at least I haven't seen anything.

Maybe it's been posted and I've missed it, and maybe no one else thinks it's a big deal?

There were a number of new dishes and even the Princess Favorites part of the menu is freshened up every night. For example, you can get salmon or chicken every night, but the preparation changes. Salmon may be teriyaki one night and something else the next. Chicken is BBQ one night and in a wine sauce the next. And there is a baked potato soup that is available every night along with the Caesar salad and shrimp cocktail that have always been there.

Anyway, it's nice to have some new options after years of sameness.

I'm wondering whether it's just the Ruby or if other ships have gotten new menus. Anybody know?

Jim

Thanks for sharing. I had not seen that change or heard about it. Did they remove the Princess Favorites different burger every night? My son likes the burger options and they are more gourmet than those from the grill.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for sharing. I had not seen that change or heard about it. Did they remove the Princess Favorites different burger every night? My son likes the burger options and they are more gourmet than those from the grill.

Thank you

I don't think the burger is there every night (good chance you could ask for one, though). Along with the salmon and chicken entrees that changed daily was another item. Often it was something called "the Carvery," which offered turkey or roast beef and such. One night in place of that was something called a Bleu Burger by Ernesto. They did have escargots on one of the formal nights, for those who like to know such things.

Another addition is Sides, where you can choose particular vegetables, etc. There was also a great melt-in-your-mouth pork chop one night -- something I've never had before -- and the new tenderloins of beef was about the best beef I've had in a Princess MDR.

That's about all I can remember, so the rest will have to be a surprise. And that's what we enjoyed most, having unexpected items available.

Jim

I don't think the burger is there every night (good chance you could ask for one, though). Along with the salmon and chicken entrees that changed daily was another item. Often it was something called "the Carvery," which offered turkey or roast beef and such. One night in place of that was something called a Bleu Burger by Ernesto. They did have escargots on one of the formal nights, for those who like to know such things.

Another addition is Sides, where you can choose particular vegetables, etc. There was also a great melt-in-your-mouth pork chop one night -- something I've never had before -- and the new tenderloins of beef was about the best beef I've had in a Princess MDR.

That's about all I can remember, so the rest will have to be a surprise. And that's what we enjoyed most, having unexpected items available.

Jim

Jim that is good to know perhaps Princess is bringing out this new menu fleet wide .time will tell :p

We got off the Ruby Princess last Saturday and were jazzed to see the MDR menus have gotten an overhaul. I'm surprised no one else has reported this, at least I haven't seen anything.

Maybe it's been posted and I've missed it, and maybe no one else thinks it's a big deal? Yup, there were s couple posts last spring/early summer when they were rolled out. Linked one below.. If yours were significantly different than these, I guess they've overhauled yet again..

There were a number of new dishes and even the Princess Favorites part of the menu is freshened up every night. For example, you can get salmon or chicken every night, but the preparation changes. Salmon may be teriyaki one night and something else the next. Chicken is BBQ one night and in a wine sauce the next. And there is a baked potato soup that is available every night along with the Caesar salad and shrimp cocktail that have always been there.

Anyway, it's nice to have some new options after years of sameness.

I'm wondering whether it's just the Ruby or if other ships have gotten new menus. Anybody know? So far, just Ruby. Hopefully will be expanded soon, it seems to have received mostly positive reviews on Ruby...

Jim

Here's one of the earlier posts about the new menus, with photos of the menus...

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2639827

Hopefully Princess will roll out the new menus, or at least some of the items, to more ships! Time for some new menu items for sure.

Glad you enjoyed the food! Positive food reports are always a happy thing...

Here's one of the earlier posts about the new menus, with photos of the menus...

Hopefully Princess will roll out the new menus, or at least some of the items, to more ships! Time for some new menu items for sure.

Glad you enjoyed the food! Positive food reports are always a happy thing...

Yes, those are some of the menus we had. I thought it was a more recent change. Thanks for the link.

Jim

Jim

Thanks again. We can always find something on the menu that works. If it's not something we love, we just move on and leave space for dessert. I'm not worried. :) The kids will enjoy the new options as well. They like to see changing menus too.

We've been on the Ruby 3 times this year and every time they've had a different menu. We also got off the ruby last Saturday and we enjoyed the menus on this sailing. Beware, bring your own butter, they are skimping on the butter again. We were at a table for 6 and we had to beg every night for butter, they's bring 1 little butter ball per person. They did have small bowls of seasoned oil on the table which no one used. Next cruse I'm going to bring a tub on Kerry Gold. But overall the food in the MDR on this last cruise was very good, from breakfast to dinner.

I just got off the Ruby Saturday. We also had the new menu on the Ruby in April this year but there was a different executive chef. I was in love with the food on the April cruise but not so much on this one. Same entrées prepared differently, vegetables were mushy. Lack of butter was not an issue and we all loved the pesto olive oil. Gone were the cheese spreads that were brought to the table in lieu of butter on Ruby in April. Also new, the "fresh" omelettes were made with liquid eggs, thin as a crêpe and filled with pre-cooked vegetables.

we got off the Golden two weeks ago -- I think we had a similar menu.

The burger was still there, but changed nightly -- different styles/cheeses/sauces

I know there were different salmon styles - they repeated on the 12 day cruise

Did your menus have the additional cost beef entrees?

Yes. The link Reedprincess provided in post 6 shows some of the same menus we had, including "Crown Grill Selects" options that don't seem to change from one night to the next.

Jim

A couple of other food comments:

1. I thought the coffee in the MDR and Lido were fine.

2. I had the pizza a couple of times and it was fine. I make sure it's right out of the oven.

3, The hot dishes in MDR was served hot mostly. A big improvement from recent cruises.

4. There is BBQ served at the Grille every night (2 different menus). The wings with pizza made a good late (before 10pm) snack.