Princess Balcony Lights - Annoying Neighbors

Thrak

Have you ever had a neighboring cabin leave the outside balcony light on all the time? Does it annoy you? We have sailed in balcony cabins where the people next door just left the outside balcony light on for the entire cruise. I don't even know if they were aware that it could be turned off as the switches are usually pretty much hidden behind the curtain.

Am I the only one annoyed by this? I would love it if the stewards were required to make sure this light was turned off when they make up the cabin in the morning. It might well alleviate the problem as cabin occupants would have to find the switch in order to turn the light on and then at least one would know they were aware there actually is a switch and the light isn't just always on "automagically". I seriously think some folks don't know the thing can be turned off. It's pretty annoying to try to enjoy your balcony late at night when it's all lit up from the light on the neighboring balcony.

I did once ask my steward if he would please turn off the balcony light next door as it had been on for days. He turned it off and it was never on again for the rest of the cruise which tells me the folks next door had probably just been "putting up with" having a light on all the time out on their balcony. Maybe I'm just being crabby but this seems to happen a lot. Sometimes one can look out along the side of the ship and see numerous balcony lights on in the middle of the night.

Have you ever had a neighboring cabin leave the outside balcony light on all the time? Does it annoy you? We have sailed in balcony cabins where the people next door just left the outside balcony light on for the entire cruise. I don't even know if they were aware that it could be turned off as the switches are usually pretty much hidden behind the curtain.

Am I the only one annoyed by this? I would love it if the stewards were required to make sure this light was turned off when they make up the cabin in the morning. It might well alleviate the problem as cabin occupants would have to find the switch in order to turn the light on and then at least one would know they were aware there actually is a switch and the light isn't just always on "automagically". I seriously think some folks don't know the thing can be turned off. It's pretty annoying to try to enjoy your balcony late at night when it's all lit up from the light on the neighboring balcony.

I did once ask my steward if he would please turn off the balcony light next door as it had been on for days. He turned it off and it was never on again for the rest of the cruise which tells me the folks next door had probably just been "putting up with" having a light on all the time out on their balcony. Maybe I'm just being crabby but this seems to happen a lot. Sometimes one can look out along the side of the ship and see numerous balcony lights on in the middle of the night.

I always ask Stewart to turn it off.

Many times I think people just hit the switch and never realize its for the balcony light.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I bet you are right, people may not realize they can be turned off. I hope I was NOT one of those neighbors.

I do not get to be in a balcony often. I am usually on Deck 8 aside the lifeboats. It is the ships bright outside lights that bother me terribly. They are on all night :eek:

lol, I didn't even know we had lights on the balcony. Granted, we've only had a balcony cabin once.

P.S. yes, we were on deck 8 balconies as well. There was a lot of light coming from below, but that didn't bother us at all. We were so happy to have a balcony. Plus, I am a little night blind.

We noticed our balcony light was on early one morning ... not sure how long it had been on, as a matter of fact. We're pretty sure the steward had actually turned it on one night and forgot to turn it off. It doesn't bother us one way or another but we are very aware that it may bother others in neighboring cabins so are very cognizant of not ever turning it on.

But, you are probably right in thinking that people don't even realize that it causes light pollution for the surrounding cabins.

Yes, I may have been an intentional offender, but I never left the light on all night. After I'm done with the evening I like to sit out on the balcony and may have had the light on. I did clue in though, as I stay up late, that others are asleep and my light could be disturbing. After that realization I left the light on just long enough to get my chair situated then turned it off.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if the balcony dividers were at least as high as the light.

I like it dark at night... If we were relaxing out on our balcony at night, it would be to take in the fresh air, the sea, the stars.

We might try to ask the Steward to see if he/she can try to keep them turned off.

Or perhaps mention it or leave a nice little note, if the neighbor could please turn the light off when they weren't wanting it.

This is my biggest pet peeve. It's one thing to use your balcony light when using your balcony. It's so rude and disrespectful to leave it on continuously. I've asked and had the steward turn it off. Sometimes it works and other times it's right back on like a bad habit. Being amateur astronomer, I really enjoy a moonless night at see; but it's so easily ruined by light pollution.

It would be nice if they added a reminder to turn off balcony lights, along with the other information you get when you get in your cabin. Wash your hands, don't leave balcony door open, and turn off the light after x-o-clock. Simple. I'm sure many folks just don't realize there is a switch for it.

Guest arowe6

One of the most annoying things EVER.

After day 2, I will either knock on the door (yes I will do that) or if I see the steward in the hallway I’ll ask that he/she turn it off when the room is cleaned.

-Andrew :)

Being an avid reader, I read on the balcony nightly until 1 or 2 am because I love listening to the waves. I happily turn out my light when done. It would totally freak me out if someone knocked on the door. To each his own.....

Being an avid reader, I read on the balcony nightly until 1 or 2 am because I love listening to the waves. I happily turn out my light when done. It would totally freak me out if someone knocked on the door. To each his own.....

If someone is actually using the balcony they have every right to have the light on. It's those who just leave it on all the time that are annoying.

Guest arowe6

No one said you had to answer. I’m also not going to knock on doors at 1am.

I am planning to sleep on the balcony some nights so it would be nice if our neighbors would turn of their lights at some point. Then again, I sleep almost anywhere under almost any condition.

And no, I am not dragging the bed outside, I am bringing an airbed and my own bedding except for a blanket which I plan to "borrow" from MUTS.

Theo

My cabin, my balcony and my light. While it may be rude you have zero right to ask anyone else how they use their cabin.

And you really want or need to have the light on all night long when you aren't using the balcony? I'm really trying to understand why anybody would want or need to have the light on when they are sleeping. Many people enjoy sitting on the balcony in the dark. If one is actually using their balcony then I agree that nobody has the right to complain about the light but when you are in bed and asleep or maybe out partying late is there any real reason to have the light on outside?

My cabin, my balcony and my light. While it may be rude you have zero right to ask anyone else how they use their cabin.

So you will not mind if I leave the TV on and loud all the time whether I am in the cabin or not. Or maybe play my bagpipe music CDs loud all the time also.

I also read outside on the balcony at night. However, I have a Kindle w an internal light in it so it will not bother anyone.

DON