Charge for safe on Regal?

Cruiser1862

Never had a charge for a safe on Princess yet in 25 years cruising, or on any other line I have been on.

It does not surprise me that some line might start trying to extreme nickel and dime like this.

You were charged for RC safe ... title says 'Regal?' Got off Royal 2 months ago, no charge. Diamond inarch 2018, no charge. Why different on Regal or am I misreading it?

yes I think you may be misreading it.

OP was on RC and got charged for use of safe, and now he is inquiring if there is going to be a charge for use of the safe if he cruises on Regal Princess.

No, there's no charge for using the safe in your cabin on Princess ships.

And in all my cruises on Royal Caribbean (being Diamond Plus, thsts a fair few), we've never paid to use our safe in our cabin either.

What ship was it? And what was the charge amount? When did they start charging for safe use? Thanks...

Sorry for confusion. I have a cruise scheduled for Nov on Regal. I have cruised only Princess (6 times). Last time was 2 years ago. I just got off the RC cruise where they charged for the safe. I was very surprised and disappointed. I was wondering if Princess (and Regal in particular) was also charging.

Thank you for the answers!! Looking VERY forward to our trip

Sorry for confusion. I have a cruise scheduled for Nov on Regal. I have cruised only Princess (6 times). Last time was 2 years ago. I just got off the RC cruise where they charged for the safe. I was very surprised and disappointed. I was wondering if Princess (and Regal in particular) was also charging.

Thank you for the answers!! Looking VERY forward to our trip

How much does the safe cost?

It was The Enchantment. You had to put your credit card in to use it. We didn’t bother to use it. People onboard were talking about it and were frustrated by being charged.

I guess I know what you are talking about. Not sure about Enchantment, but some safe systems require any card to use to open and close. It doesn’t have to be a working card. Can be used gift card. Anything with magnetic stripe.

I doubt it was on Royal, they have different system, but we saw it on Holland and Carnival some time ago.

It was The Enchantment. You had to put your credit card in to use it. We didn’t bother to use it. People onboard were talking about it and were frustrated by being charged.

Your credit card, or your room card?

I've been on ships where you need a card to operate the safe (usually says "use room card" but you can use any card with a magnetic stripe).

How much was the charge for using the safe?

When we began cruising Cuba with Luis Crystal a few years ago they began to charge $15. for use of the cabin safe for the 7 day cruise. That lasted only a year when we began to understand that the combination was returned to 0000 after a guest departed. It was a matter of opening the safe with the zeros and setting up our own code. Plus those who did not know about the 0000 were advised about this by the cabin steward who would earn an improved tip for having done so. Fun but by year three the safes were free.

You had to swipe a card to use it?

There are two kinds of safes, the swipe a card kind and the pin code kind. Swiping a card doesn’t incur a charge, the swipe just opens the safe.

We just sailed in Serenade, and there was no charge for the safe. If there were a charge, there would have been notification of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is pretty amusing - that people onboard should be so uninformed

Now when you get on Regal Princess you have to put a card the size of a credit card in a slot inside the door to turn on the electricity to the room - don't worry this does NOT mean that you will have to pay for the electricity -

We actually did use a card which was not our room card for this as we tend to forget to take the room card with us and got locked out if its left in the slot.

Really don't use a credit card though, any old expired store loyalty card or gas card or whatever will work.

Again - you will NOT be charged for electricity in your room on a Princess ship!

That is pretty amusing - that people onboard should be so uninformed

Now when you get on Regal Princess you have to put a card the size of a credit card in a slot inside the door to turn on the electricity to the room - don't worry this does NOT mean that you will have to pay for the electricity -

We actually did use a card which was not our room card for this as we tend to forget to take the room card with us and got locked out if its left in the slot.

Really don't use a credit card though, any old expired store loyalty card or gas card or whatever will work.

Again - you will NOT be charged for electricity in your room on a Princess ship!

That isn't what this thread is about. Did you even read the OPs post? LOL ... Yours is the funny post! :')

They are talking about being charged to use the SAFE in the cabin. FYI. :rolleyes:

That isn't what this thread is about. Did you even read the OPs post? LOL ... Yours is the funny post! :')

They are talking about being charged to use the SAFE in the cabin. FYI. :rolleyes:

Not even worth commenting on your post

Too subtle for you I guess.

The consensus is they thought there was a charge for using the safe because you had to swipe a card when closing the safe and use the same card when opening it. The OP thought this meant there was a charge to use the safe, but there was not any charge at all.

Thus the post saying that even if you use a credit card to turn on the lights on the Royal or Regal, there is no extra charge for using electricity.

I've been on ships where you need a card to operate the safe (usually says "use room card" but you can use any card with a magnetic stripe).

When we did this, we used expired credit cards where we each had an identical card. Thus either one of us could open the safe and lock it up again.

Enchantment is an older ship with older style safes. These safes use the number embedded in a credit card magnetic strip to lock and unlock the safe.

One can use any card that has a number recorded on the appropriate track of the magnetic strip. (At the time these safes were popular mag stripe id cards were in common use.) If memory serves, one can find a few threads on cc that discuss the subject. Consensus was an expired cc or id card was best.