CCL Stock Tumbles.

Kenswing

CCL stock is down almost $6 per share right now to $57.55 due to a negative profit outlook.

Might be a good chance to buy for those looking to take advantage of the shareholder benefit.

Thank you for posting this! I had heard about this benefit over the past few years ... and since we cruise a few times a year, thought I would take advantage of it ... finally!

I knew nothing about buying stock but found a local TD Aameridrade office and they walked me through it. I printed out my confirmation and the stock benefit form that was also posted here and mailed it in for two upcoming sailings. I less than a week, my credit has been posted for both bookings.

Plus, now the stock has gone up a bit ... I got it at its low....so another win! I’m well aware it can go down but will make good use of it for cruises while that lasts!

I looked at the stock price as of right this minute. The stock is at $58.98. The 52 week low of $56.45 was on 7/3/2018 and the high $72.70 was 1/30/2018. Dividend rate is $.50/quarter with a 3.36% yield. Now is probably a good time to buy shares particularly if you cruise annually or more on Princess. A 7 day cruise on Princess one time per year would get you $100 for two in OBC added to the $200 in dividends each year. Princess allows you to stack OBC which is another plus as other cruise lines do not. Remember that Carnival Corp owns 10 cruise lines and they all grant OBC for stockholders so if you cruise on HAL or Carnival, you can get more OBC.

For anyone considering the purchase of CCL stock...

Seek advice from a competent licensed broker. Cruise Critic is one of the last places I would consider when seeking investment advice.

Seek advice from a competent licensed broker. Cruise Critic is one of the last places I would consider when seeking investment advice.

You said it! THe only thing to consider that your broker may not know is the OBC factor.

I looked at the stock price as of right this minute. The stock is at $58.98. The 52 week low of $56.45 was on 7/3/2018 and the high $72.70 was 1/30/2018. Dividend rate is $.50/quarter with a 3.36% yield. Now is probably a good time to buy shares particularly if you cruise annually or more on Princess. A 7 day cruise on Princess one time per year would get you $100 for two in OBC added to the $200 in dividends each year. Princess allows you to stack OBC which is another plus as other cruise lines do not. Remember that Carnival Corp owns 10 cruise lines and they all grant OBC for stockholders so if you cruise on HAL or Carnival,

you can get more OBC.

Love our CCL stock . We are doing a Holland America cruise this year & getting $100 extra OBC then in 2019 we are taking princess to Hawaii & get a $250 OBC & yes there are those healthy quarterly dividends .:p

Best deal in owning any stocks,that we know of .:p

Think twice before buying the stock for the stock ownership benefit? A benefit that needs to be renewed every year? Just 2 years ago the stock was at 44. Most people who are singing ownership praises purchased it long ago.

Re: RCI up until 2008, you did get stackable OBC for owning the stock. Is was around that time Princess began to offer the stock benefit and shortly after military benefits.

IMHO it is just a matter of time before Princess pulls some of these benefits like RCI.

Think twice before buying the stock for the stock ownership benefit? A benefit that needs to be renewed every year? Just 2 years ago the stock was at 44. Most people who are singing ownership praises purchased it long ago.

Re: RCI up until 2008, you did get stackable OBC for owning the stock. Is was around that time Princess began to offer the stock benefit and shortly after military benefits.

IMHO it is just a matter of time before Princess pulls some of these benefits like RCI.

Not sure what you mean by "a benefit that needs to be renewed every year." Yes, Carnival Corp has to officially renew it...essentially document that it is still in effect for the next year. The history is that it has been renewed each year. The cruiser doesn't have to do anything about this renewal. In fact, the requirements for the cruise to document stock ownership has been relaxed in the last year. And, unlike RCI, Princess allows you to "stack" benefits. You can receive OBC from many sources, and I've never heard of a cruise where the shareholder credit was "not applicable," which happens frequently on RCI.

Stock prices generally bounce around. It may have had a low of 44 2 years ago. We paid more than that about 3 years ago. The stock price only matters if you are buying or selling it. If you are holding it and getting the dividends and OBCs, the price on any given day is irrelevant.

True, that if the benefits of owning the stock are discontinued, many cruisers may choose to sell their stock. If that happens, there will be an initial price drop. Those who choose to hold on for a while will likely see a rebound.

Again... seek professional advice before purchasing any stock.

And here is a blast from the past....

Princess Future cruise sales letter dated Oct 26, 2007

This ltr confirms you have purchased a deposit of 100USD towards a future cruise with Princess.

At confirmation of booking the appropriate ship board credit will apply.

7-9 days $25pp inside cats, $50pp for outside

10-15 days $75pp inside cats, $100pp for outside

16+ $125pp " $150pp "

At that time you only needed one FCD, to cover both people in the cabin....we used to call them ghost cruises.

I don't think it was necessary to buy out Silverseas, when they already have a luxury line Azamara, which is also doing reasonably well.

I hope they don't increase the cruise fares now, to try to recover the huge expense (investment??)

Azmara is closer to Oceania, where as Silver Sea is more like Seabourne as far as competition goes.

Not sure what you mean by "a benefit that needs to be renewed every year." Yes' date=' Carnival Corp has to officially renew it[/color']...

Answered your own question.

True, that if the benefits of owning the stock are discontinued, many cruisers may choose to sell their stock. If that happens, there will be an initial price drop.

You really believe this, such small investors make a difference...I certainly don't?

I'm happy I followed the advice on Cruise Critic and bought CCL stock several years ago. I did the math: (1) Did I have the extra money to spend at the time? (2) Did I plan on taking enough cruises for the OBC to make a difference? The answers were yes. I'm glad I did not ask a competent licensed broker, who may have talked me out of purchasing the stock. It's been one of my best investments. I'm about to break even between the OBC and dividends. I wish all my investments were this successful.

Check your facts. Princess offers no stock benefits at all. Nor do they have control over the level of OBC that is offered.

Princess does offer a military benefit.

I'm happy I followed the advice on Cruise Critic and bought CCL stock several years ago. I did the math: (1) Did I have the extra money to spend at the time? (2) Did I plan on taking enough cruises for the OBC to make a difference? The answers were yes. I'm glad I did not ask a competent licensed broker, who may have talked me out of purchasing the stock. It's been one of my best investments. I'm about to break even between the OBC and dividends. I wish all my investments were this successful.
There are likely those who also did due diligence when they purchased CCL at close to its 52 week high of $72.70 who now have a paper loss of about $1360 per 100 shares at today's price. Where does the price go from here...hopefully up over the long term. To reach $72.70 again it will have to show a gain of about 23% over its current price.

I thought Princess offered the stock holders benefit (which mirrored the military vet benefit, $50 - $250 depending on length of cruise)?

Carnival Corporation owns Princess Cruises and offers the benefit across the entire list of cruise lines that it owns. Carnival Corporation is responsible for offering the benefit, Princess, Carnival, P&O, HAL, etc merely administer the benefit for the shareholders.

This is why you cannot find the Shareholder Benefit described on the Princess website.

A technicality? Likely so, but the point is that the benefit levels as described by the other poster are not determined or set by Princess, Carnival, HAL, Costa...etc, etc.

Further, for those who would 'dis' the provision because it must be renewed each year...the benefit has been in place (and renewed) every year since at least the early 2000's. It is a shameless loyalty program designed by CCL marketing to keep customers coming back....and it works. Personally, I think it would cause a lot of internal arguments if there was a move to discontinue it.

We love our CCL Stock. Had it for many years and have enjoyed the Stock OBC and the Military OBC on Princess. Plus that dividend every quarter. Sure helps with the bill at cruise end.

The stockholders benefit comes from Carnival Corp. Each year the board has to approve the benefit which is all but automatic. Most pax who own the stock own 100 shares so not a very serious investment on most people's part. One can get shareholder OBC on over 100 cruise ships owned by Carnival Corp. If the corporation were to not renew the benefit, the fallout would be massive which is not in Carnival's best interest. The advantages to any corporation to having their clients buy their stock is loyalty which is particularly important in an industry that relies on repeat clients and sells fun. The other advantage can be making the company a bad takeover prospect if they have enough small stockholders.

Luckily I was able to buy the stock back during the great recession at a ridiculously low price. It certainly represents a very small portion of my holdings and being a repeat cruiser it became a no-brainer decision. I have done well with this small investment over the 10 years I have owned it.

Check your facts. Princess offers no stock benefits at all. Nor do they have control over the level of OBC that is offered.

What a misleading post.

Carnival Corporation owns Princess Cruises and offers the benefit across the entire list of cruise lines that it owns.

Carnival Corporation owns Princess Cruises and offers the benefit across the entire list of cruise lines that it owns. Carnival Corporation is responsible for offering the benefit, Princess, Carnival, P&O, HAL, etc merely administer the benefit for the shareholders.

This is why you cannot find the Shareholder Benefit described on the Princess website.

P&O provide all you need to know about shareholder benefit on their website.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/more-info-share-holder

FWIW

I purchased CCL back in 2013 for under $33/share

Thus far I've received over $1000.00 in on board credit plus dividends

I just faxed my latest proof to Princess for our next cruise in Feb 2019 and one hour later my OBC of $250 is already showing up in my Princess account.

Howard

FWIW

I purchased CCL back in 2013 for under $33/share

Thus far I've received over $1000.00 in on board credit plus dividends

I just faxed my latest proof to Princess for our next cruise in Feb 2019 and one hour later my OBC of $250 is already showing up in my Princess account.

Howard

Oh my! Your post made me curious as to what we've received back from our investment in 100 shares of CCL stock in 2010. Price was $39/share. We've received dividends of about $1500 which we have reinvested in stock so we have more shares. But here's the best part!!

Since 2010 we have received $7,700 in OBC and have 8 more bookings which will net us another $2000. A fantastic investment, and a lot of fun cruising too!

I thought Princess offered the stock holders benefit (which mirrored the military vet benefit, $50 - $250 depending on length of cruise)?

Technical detail

CCL (carnival corporation) offers the stockholder benefit for cruises on its cruise lines of which one is Princess.

The issuance of the benefit on Princess cruises is processed by Princess.

Technically there is not a Princess stock benefit, because there is not any separate Princess stock only CCL stock.

Oh my! Your post made me curious as to what we've received back from our investment in 100 shares of CCL stock in 2010. Price was $39/share. We've received dividends of about $1500 which we have reinvested in stock so we have more shares. But here's the best part!!

Since 2010 we have received $7,700 in OBC and have 8 more bookings which will net us another $2000. A fantastic investment, and a lot of fun cruising too!

I haven't totaled up my dividends since my purchase but here is a history of them

https://www.streetinsider.com/dividend_history.php?q=CCL

It has been an excellent investment

Howard

it looks the stock is slowing increasing. i think by next week, it should be back to regular pricing

Actually CCL had a really quite poor day today ( losing 72c per share ) compared to a couple of days ago when it looked like it might be recovering.

Wednesday this week was a good day, I had some I bought at $58.05 and sold at $58.75, then bought again today at $58.25 only to see them drop from that moment on down to $58.14

Tomorrow is another day...……….. I really do think this is a good recovery stock, decent PE at 15, decent profits at nearly $4 per share, decent dividend at 3.4%

And its so volatile it lends itself well to day trading and making a profit on.

Huge swings nearly every day for little apparent reason. And a narrow spread.

And of course I always keep 100 for the OBC, bought that 100 about 20 years ago or so and never ever sold them.