Oasis - Costa Maya Cancelled for Current Sailing

Hi everyone,

Was just facebooking someone that's on board right now and Captain Olsen just cancelled Costa Maya due to high winds and waves from Tropical Storm Alex. Oasis was supposed to get to Costa Maya at about Noon and leave at around 6 today. He said that Cozumel should be fine but Oasis will probably get there earlier than expected. Ill post more info as i get it.

Hi everyone,

Was just facebooking someone that's on board right now and Captain Olsen just cancelled Costa Maya due to high winds and waves from Tropical Storm Alex. Oasis was supposed to get to Costa Maya at about Noon and leave at around 6 today. He said that Cozumel should be fine but Oasis will probably get there earlier than expected. Ill post more info as i get it.

Im on OOS right now .He did cancel Costa Maya which is a bummer since it has been really rocky for 24 hours due to the storm. He cancelled due to 40 mph winds and 10 ft swells. Port is not protected and I heard Cozumel is even less protected. Will update as I get more info. Time for the pool I guess!

They even have a mention of the itinerary change on the Royal Promenade web cam. I was surprised to see it zoomed in displaying the monitors at the Explorations! desk, but I'm guessing that it's so that people currently sailing who might be browsing the cameras from their in-room TVs would get this information as well.

CostaMayaCancel.jpg

To everyone on Oasis right now, sorry about your missing Costa Maya:confused:....Just be safe and have a great cruise. Can't wait til 10-30-10 then it's our turn...Can't wait for the reviews.:D

Take care,

Gerald & Kim

Columbus, Oh-io

To everyone on Oasis right now, sorry about your missing Costa Maya:confused:....Just be safe and have a great cruise. Can't wait til 10-30-10 then it's our turn...Can't wait for the reviews.:D

Take care,

Gerald & Kim

Columbus, Oh-io

We sail on Oasis 10/16/10. We are in Zanesville OH-IO !!!

Thanks for letting us know! Please keep us updating as my 9 year old son is on that cruise with my parents and it is nice to know where he is. How has the weather been on the boat? Thanks and I hope you are still able to enjoy your cruise!

Curious about the weather as well. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are on board now. We just got home the 19th and so glad we didn't have that kind of weather to contend with. Costa Maya was windy as well when we were there. That's the only time we felt movement on the ship.

We sail on Oasis 10/16/10. We are in Zanesville OH-IO !!!

Love those Buckeyes, we both work at OSU. There are 14 of us going and we will be wearing OSU T shirts for embarkation and of course do a few OH-IO's in line to get the festivities started. I have to admit that the cruise was planned around the football schedule on the 30th I believe we play Minnesota and 11/06/10 is a bye week for the BUCKS!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Im on OOS right now .He did cancel Costa Maya which is a bummer since it has been really rocky for 24 hours due to the storm. He cancelled due to 40 mph winds and 10 ft swells. Port is not protected and I heard Cozumel is even less protected. Will update as I get more info. Time for the pool I guess!
Cozumel is not protected from an el norte. However the island of Cozumel is between the storm waves and the port so it should be ok. Good Luck no matter what.

Hi - I am on Oasis right now and yes, the ocean has definately been choppy the last 24 hours, but not bad enough to stop any fun! Weather outside is sunny, but just very windy. I was able to lie out by pool all that my sunburned body could take. So, just another sea day today, which was fine with me. It is also formal night so there is more time to get ready.

Not surprised at all....CM can be a miss with no storm to contend with....it's totally exposed. And there is really nothing that could have even been done to substitute another port ahead of time....this has been talked about a long time ago and will something that Oasis/Allure is going to have to contend with during the summer stormy season. Get ready to hear all the negative reviews on how a port was missed and a one week cruise turned into a 1 or 2 port stop sailing.

Last night was the roughest night so far. Our room attendant said it was the roughest he has seen since the transantlantic cruise. Plus we are in an aqua theatre suite in the very aft of the ship. All of our deck furniture slammed into our walls and windows last night. (A little traumatizing for the kids) I recommend booking mid-ship if you plan on cruising during storm season. We are leaving Cozumel now and the weather looks great. The ship is great and we were docked next to the Grandeur (felt sorry for them last night!) Looking forward to our last 2 days! If you have to miss a port, this is the ship to be on!!

Last night was the roughest night so far. Our room attendant said it was the roughest he has seen since the transantlantic cruise. Plus we are in an aqua theatre suite in the very aft of the ship. All of our deck furniture slammed into our walls and windows last night. (A little traumatizing for the kids) I recommend booking mid-ship if you plan on cruising during storm season. We are leaving Cozumel now and the weather looks great. The ship is great and we were docked next to the Grandeur (felt sorry for them last night!) Looking forward to our last 2 days! If you have to miss a port, this is the ship to be on!!

Sorry about the rough weather!

Please post some pictures and a review of this cabin.

Would you mind sharing how much you paid and how many were in the cabin with you?

We live in deep south TX and had to experience waiting and watching to see if would be able to dodge a bullet from Hurricane Alex. We are thankful that it went south of us and into the mountains of Mexico where there is sparce population. Did not hear of any trauma there. Areas here experienced some flooding from heavy rains, but it could be so much worse. I guess I wouldn't feel that way if my house flooded. :eek:

We were on the Oasis a couple of weeks ago. We never felt the ship move when out to sea, but the day the she was docked at Costa Maya, was a windy day. Being on the boat when docked, we could feel the ship rocking. It was the only time all week we ever felt the ship move, so I cannot imagine how it must have felt for sea days.

Hope all had a great week despite the weather circumstances.

Archived