Sea Bands ???

sukyrin

Anyone tried these ? Do they work ?

My DH (who get really seasick) used it once, just for a day on our transatlantic cruise. He usually uses the patch quite well, but on this particular cruise it was soooooo calm he was actually having some side effects from it and took it off.

One day (as we crossed out of the Mediterranean into the Atlantic) the transition had a little more motion. He put on the sea bands and they seemed to work. Whether it was just knowing that he was doing something that should help, or whether it really has an effect, who knows? It worked, that's all that counts.

:)

I swear by them! I've had motion-sickness problems all my life, with the usual over-the-counter products being useless, other than making me feel drugged. I did successfully use the Transderm-Scop patch when it first came out. Didn't get sick in the most challenging of conditions, but felt awful: drugged, tired, dried-out and blurred vision. I'd have been better off just ....well, never mind.

But the bands work for me now every time! Car, bus, air, sea. I give them to friends.

I have bought several pairs, and have one pr. in our camera bag, one pr. in my makeup bag. When I get on the ship, I put the one from my makeup bag in the bedside table. I know my husband will always have his camera bag even if we are on a tender or any other small boat(snorkeling). I have given a pair to our grandson for car travel sickness, and he said they worked for him, too. I never leave home without mine for any travel.

Although there is plenty of non-scientific statements that Seabands are effective, the science is not very supportive. On the other hand, if you think the things work they may well do the trick (Placebo effect). Here is a very interesting article about Seabands:

http://www.skeptics.org.nz/SK:VIEWARTICLE::waDeptTOC.1,A761

We have spent a little time on cruise ships (more then 2 years) and have our own anecdotal story. We once had some tablemates (4 of them) who swore by Seabands and wore them all the time while on a 10 day cruise. The first few days were relatively calm (seas less then 6 feet) and every night at dinner our tablemates would tell us about their wonderful Seabands. Then one evening we hit some rough weather right around dinner time. The seas were only about 15 feet (we have been on cruises where the seas topped 40 feet) and it got a bit rocky during our dinner. During diner 3 of the 4 Seaband users were gradually turning a funny shade of green during the meal. By the end of the meal we were down to only 1 of those 4 who felt perfectly fine (am sure she thought the Seabands helped).

Hank

I have used them on all of our cruises and I do believe they help. In fact, just bought a second pair this week (different colour-pure vanity!!) ready for March! I don't wear them all the time just as the motion starts to feel a bit more than I am comfortable with! I also am happy to take one of the pills the cruise lines give you when necessary. I haven't had any bad side effects, so far, from these.

Well 2 years ago I used them and felt nauseas most of the time and come the second week was sick and felt pretty rotten for most of the last week...

Last year decided to not bother and didnt even feel the slightest bit queasy, not once!! :D

Work that one out...lol

They work for me BUT I have to give my hands a break every hour or so since they cut the circulation off to my hands and my hands swell and get tight.

I find my choice now is ginger pills and start taking them a couple of days before cruising and have never gone back to the seabands.

If the SeaBands work only because of the placebo affect, guess what? They work! It doesn't matter why they work if they work. My DH used to get sea sick and now he doesn't so they work for him! My DS (16) knows they don't really work, so they don't work for him. I rarely get seasick so for me they aren't an issue. What does work and what all of us take in rough seas is ginger. Candied, or in gum form, works like a charm for us.:D

The thing about Sea Bands is that if folks really think they work they may do a lot of good. A lot of seasickness is psychosamatic so if you believe in something it can really help. The only thing that is really important is that it works for you! That being said, we have always challenged believers in Sea Bands to steer us to a couple of truly scientific studies that demonstrate their effectiveness. After asking this question for over 20 years we have yet to see a valid study. But, there are quite a few scientific studies that show they do not work! Of course many folks really do not believe in science (there is still a Flat Earth Society) and if they are happy then so be it!

Hank

I have used them on all of our cruises and I do believe they help. In fact, just bought a second pair this week (different colour-pure vanity!!) ready for March! I don't wear them all the time just as the motion starts to feel a bit more than I am comfortable with! I also am happy to take one of the pills the cruise lines give you when necessary. I haven't had any bad side effects, so far, from these.

It's not pure vanity if selecting a different color for each family member. It keeps things tidy and organized.

In addition, they come in children's sizes and it is always nice for them to be able to select the colors that they want instead of the standard black.

:):)

As you can tell, many people swear by sea bands. For some people, they work very well. Whether it is the placebo effect, or whether the pressure is properly applied and works who knows? On the other hand, for some people they do not work at all.

There are many posts about seasickness and I won't repost my other postings here since you (the OP) did not ask. But if you have concerns, which you must have, then search for that topic and learn a bit more about the situation in general.

My DW wears them all the time for cruising and flying. Frankly I think it is mind over matter....but who am I to argue with success.:)

One word of caution though, we bought some knock offs at a Kroger subsidiary (Smith's here in AZ) that had some type of latex in them that caused an allergic rash on DW's wrists.

Thanks for your input. I did buy a pair and I do think they helped me. I also have a few boxes of Bonine to take with me.

Mt doctor gave me a script for the patch. I have read most people have bad side side affects of the patch so I have decided not to try the patch.

I will stick with the bands and the Bonine.

I cannot wait until April 2nd !!!!

I do not get car sick BUT I do get sea sick. The small dive boats as well as the small/medium size "day cruise" ships really make me sick. On the day cruise, I started out with the sea bands and they were useless. I literally threw up for 8 hours and was sick for several more hours after we arrived.

The Dramamine 2 formula is non drowsy, I'm going to use it instead on our cruise in May. It's what I take when we dive, etc.

Anyone tried these ? Do they work ?

I use meclizine but you might know it as bonine or antivert. It's an over the counter medicine for motion sickness. It has several advantages over dramamine for me. Chief among these are not falling asleep and the fact that my food tastes normal. Meclizine is what doctors prescribe to patients who get nauseated with inner ear balance related problems.

Carnival used to give them away free in bins outside the ship medical bay. My advice to you about any medicine for motion sickness is to start it before you get on the ship. Meds like this are preventatives, not post-fixes in the majority of cases. With this med I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night either at dinner or after.

And as an after note... I am the kind of guy who gets sick in the back seat of a car and frequently in the passenger front seat. This stuff REALLY works for me.

I worked on fishing boats in the Alaskan waters for many years and get seasick... (I know great choice of profession when you throw up as soon as you step on a boat) I found seabands and they do work... so when going thru Chemo I thought I would give them a whirl... THEY WORK!!!! and I have tried every darned thing out there prescription and non prescription these do work....

I haven't tried them. Our first cruise I took draminine the whole time but still felt lousy. I found getting outside on deck in the cooler air helped. I am trying to research ahead of time and figure out the best approach. I plan to take ginger and dramamine starting before I get anywhere near the ship. May slap on a sea band too to cover all bases, but am skeptical.

I remember seeing this episode of mythbusters awhile back where they tested various motion sickness treatments. Thought it was interesting. Adam has a real problem with motion sickness so was a great test subject lol

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43

Archived