Effects of 'Russian situation' on Homelands itinerary?

Nippy Sweetie

We're currently wondering if the current extremely unpleasant and worrying situation with Russia will affect the St Petersberg port visit.

It's early days yet but already UK visitors to Russia are being cautioned. Personally, we weren't exactly looking forward to St P but as things now stand we won't be leaving the ship there. A bad time.

We're currently wondering if the current extremely unpleasant and worrying situation with Russia will affect the St Petersberg port visit.

It's early days yet but already UK visitors to Russia are being cautioned. Personally, we weren't exactly looking forward to St P but as things now stand we won't be leaving the ship there. A bad time.

If I were unwilling to go to places where extremely unpleasant and worrying situations were possibly going to take place, my vacation choices would be limited, including here in the United States. That does not mean that there aren't limits to the places I will visit (obviously Syria and Yemen and North Korea are at the top of that list.) Things would have to change dramatically before I would skip our visit to St. Petersburg next year.

That's not my point. We're so furious about Russia's behaviour over the past week since their use of a nerve agent in the UK that we don't want them to have a penny of our money. Like most of us here we're raging!

It's your choice of course if you want to skip a port for any reason but the good thing is that it's very pleasant staying on board. Due to weather we missed San Tropez when on the Star, opting for arriving a day early in Monte Carlo, where the weather was horrendous. We could have gotten off the ship but instead decided to make it a "sea day" and it was lovely! We read our books, spent some time in the spa, played backgammon at the atrium. Skipping St. Petersburg will not affect your overall enjoyment of the cruise. I wouldn't expect many of your fellow passengers to join with you in protest, but that would work out in your favor as you'd have a quiet ship day. ;)

There is very very strong feeling here! This happened blatantly in a small town centre. I think it must be hard for Americans to comprehend the effect this has had. Its not remote. Its right here. Its blatantly provocative. I could say more but I just don't think you'd get it.

There is very very strong feeling here! This happened blatantly in a small town centre. I think it must be hard for Americans to comprehend the effect this has had. Its not remote. Its right here. Its blatantly provocative. I could say more but I just don't think you'd get it.

You are not alone, I wouldn’t do anything which would put money into the Russian economy.

That's not my point. We're so furious about Russia's behaviour over the past week since their use of a nerve agent in the UK that we don't want them to have a penny of our money. Like most of us here we're raging!

I feel the same way. Since my government put sanctions on Russia a number of years ago,I will not spend one dollar visiting . I have found some delightful Viking cruises in Northern Europe/Baltic that do not go to Russia.

One of them will be my next pick for a cruise .

Enjoy your day on ship while in port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am very much looking forward to the other Baltic ports.

You'll have a fabulous time and will be able to recharge your batteries while others rush off to see the sights of St Petersburg. We did the Homelands cruise last year and have been to St P before on a P&O cruise. It's not my favourite place and, if we were ever to do the Baltic again, I would happily stay onboard!

You were right, I did misunderstand your original comment. Without getting into an extended political conversation, I have such resentment about things that are taking place in my own country, that I find I must wall myself off from many things and go about my everyday life. A country, its people, and its government are different components, and should not just be lumped together.

I do understand your anger about what has taken place in Salisbury, and am not suggesting that you should feel otherwise, or make a different decision about visiting Russia. I hope you can understand a different point of view.

I read the DM and every story in the UK edition involved Russia and I can tell by comments there that your nation, as a whole, is outraged. Some of us Americans understand where you’re coming from.

I enjoyed my visit to St P immensely in 2014; however in your shoes today, I would just have a nice day on the ship and not spend any rubles at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we don't want them to have a penny of our money.

If you really don't want them to get a single penny, then you have to cancel your cruise. A portion of the port fees comes out of your fare. The ship refuels or restocks some supplies - your fare pays a portion of it.

Sorry, Nippy. They just don’t get it. Since you’re following the WC, you probably noticed that one couple did not go ashore in Brunei for reasons of conscience. Sure didn’t make a difference to the sultan - and I’m absolutely positive they knew that. FYI, very small comparison, there’s a hamburger outfit over here that I refuse to patronize.

I know. Its a dilemma. We really want to visit Scandinavia and the Baltic States. We already weren't much bothered about St Ps. I don't think losing our deposit would help our current state of mind!

Will probably go ahead as discussed, stay on board (but can't say we won't spit over the balcony! That won't be neurotoxic of course!!)

I absolutely understand your feelings Nippy Sweetie ... and you will be fine staying aboard the ship.

We did the Homelands cruise in 2016 and debated whether or not to go ashore ... we had spent considerable time in StP a few years ago and enjoyed it ... but things were different then. We ultimately did leave the ship but found that the crowds were horrendous and wished we had stayed aboard after all ... it would have been a great time to enjoy the spa or even a massage! It is a lovely ship to spend time on and a couple of quiet days will refresh you and you will enjoy the ports after StP all the more.

Enjoyed our private tour of SP when on Homelands. The Russian people we met were very nice. OK the scowling older ladies at the museums were an exception. The working people depend on tourism for their livelihood and economically they are not well off in the best of times.. They do not have anywhere near the control over their government that most Westerners do. Folks' personal attitude may be different in our free society but I would not hesitate touring SP again (loved private TJ Tours) were I on the excellent Homelands cruise another time.

Enjoyed our private tour of SP when on Homelands. The Russian people we met were very nice. OK the scowling older ladies at the museums were an exception. The working people depend on tourism for their livelihood and economically they are not well off in the best of times.. They do not have anywhere near the control over their government that most Westerners do. Folks' personal attitude may be different in our free society but I would not hesitate touring SP again (loved private TJ Tours) were I on the excellent Homelands cruise another time.

We engaged with TJ as well and it was a wonderful two day experience. The people were extremely nice, and the history lessons we took away were incredible. The small tour experience allowed us to maneuver the crowds much better than all the busses. I would book with them again in a minute. I also heard similar remarks from others on board of other small tour/private company experiences.

I completely understand the hesitation and abhorrence of the leadership. We were concerned as well. In doing this small group we came to understand that the citizens are not the government/leadership. They have to be very careful in what they say, but what is unsaid speaks volumes. As Phil mentioned, the citizens need tourism. We also never felt unsafe.

It is a choice. If staying on board feels best, then it is the right choice for those who do. JMHO