Botanical Garden and Cruzan Distillery

FredZiffle

We've got several months until our May cruise, but I've got a couple of questions if someone knows the answers. We're thinking about grabbing a taxi to the Botanical Garden and then walking to the Cruzan Distillery afterward. The walk looks to be about a mile and a half. Any problem with walking in this area? Also, I'm assuming that we can find a taxi at Cruzan to get back to the port. Yes?

Of course, all of this is predicated on there actually being something to see at the Botanical Garden. I have read that the damage there was pretty extensive.

I'm a big walker but am not sure that I would consider doing the walk from the gardens to the Cruzan rum factory. But I don't think it would be unsafe as long as you remember that the cars drive on the left hand side of the road. The bigger issue might be getting a cab to take you back to the pier from Cruzan rum factory. I might suggest you call Cruzan Rum directly and ask them if they can call a cab for you after your tour/tasting.

• 2 weeks later...

@Lovestx thanks for the wonderful answer.

I would call Cruzan to make sure that they are open before I walked that far, otherwise just beware of traffic and you should be fine. IF Cruzan is open I'm sure they would call you a taxi.

• 8 months later...
Did you go? If so how was the experience?

We ended up renting a car. We only went to the Botanical Garden and skipped Cruzan because we wanted to explore Christiansted.

I was, quite honestly, disappointed in the Botanical Garden. Maybe the hurricane destroyed some parts as I had read (although we saw very limited damage), maybe it's prettier at another time of year, or maybe I'm just not a garden person, but I didn't see much that I found particularly attractive or interesting. It only took us an hour or so to walk through it.