Cool, new cruise line activities

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:39 PM.
#3
Space Coast FL
25,143 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by bshow
"...new Quantum of the Seas next year complete with “virtual balconies” on indoor cabins..."

Whaaa?
Floor-to-ceiling TV screens showing a view on the side of the ship that wall is facing. I would like the view to be selectable, from any of the four directions, but it won't be.
#4
82,452 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
I'll take a pass, thanks.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
#5
Southern CA
3,061 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by bshow
"...new Quantum of the Seas next year complete with “virtual balconies” on indoor cabins..."

Whaaa?
Disney has had virtual portholes with outside views for years.
#6
Southern California
3,551 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by surfergirle
Disney has had virtual portholes with outside views for years.
We've always enjoyed our virtual window on HAL, except when we forget to turn it on.... Interesting it always faces forward.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
******************
Favorite place to view cabin pictures:
Holland America + Cabin Pictures

December 13, 2015 Veendam Mexican Rivera
March 14, 2015 Veendam Mexican Rivera
January 10, 2013 Veendam Antarctica
July 22, 2011 Sailing the Tall Ship Californian
August 9, 2010 Amsterdam 14 days Alaska Itinerary
June 23, 2009 (Alaska RT Vancouver) Volendam
September 6, 2008 (Alaska: Gulf Crossing) Volendam
#7
Australia
135 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by bshow
"...new Quantum of the Seas next year complete with “virtual balconies” on indoor cabins..."

Whaaa?
IKR!
Anything to justify charging more for an inside cabin eh! LOL.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Volendam - South East Asia - November 2009
Volendam - South Pacific - November 2010
Legend of the Seas - Indonesia - February 2011
Volendam - New Zealand - March 2012
Oosterdam - South Pacific - January 2013
Voyager of the Seas - New Zealand - December 2013
Volendam - Asian Adventure Holiday - December 2014
Voyager of the Seas - New Zealand and South Pacific - December 2015
#8
107,548 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Thanks for the link.

Interesting
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
#10
1,254 Posts
Joined May 2009
All these amenities serve to make the ship the destination - ports are secondary to getting pax to spend $$ onboard rather than (or perhaps in addition to) in port, food becomes part of the entertainment rather than a feature in itself, service is in danger of becoming characterized. A ship with many amenities has a different ambiance. Finding a place, on ship or on land, to just go and relax is getting to be more and more difficult. IMO, of course.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barbara
The kindest word is the unkind word unsaid.

#11
San Antonio, TX
8,755 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by bcd2010
All these amenities serve to make the ship the destination - ports are secondary to getting pax to spend $$ onboard rather than (or perhaps in addition to) in port, food becomes part of the entertainment rather than a feature in itself, service is in danger of becoming characterized. A ship with many amenities has a different ambiance. Finding a place, on ship or on land, to just go and relax is getting to be more and more difficult. IMO, of course.
I agree. Now I don't necessarily say that's bad or wrong that ships provide a whole array of entertainment venues but it's not the cruise experience we want. We're destination cruisers and avoid cruises that have too many sea days. Luckily, at least right now, there are lots of choices in terms of destinations, itineraries, and ships. We want comfortable accommodations, good food, and a relaxing evening atmosphere. We really do think of a cruise ship as a floating hotel that magically moves us from port to port but not as a floating self-contained resort.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carey and Randy invite you to visit our website at: www.klugsplace.com

"If not now, when?"
#12
southern NM desert
11,495 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Randyk47
I agree. Now I don't necessarily say that's bad or wrong that ships provide a whole array of entertainment venues but it's not the cruise experience we want. ... We really do think of a cruise ship as a floating hotel that magically moves us from port to port but not as a floating self-contained resort.
That is how we feel as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & Joe
Platinum on NCL, 2-Star Mariner on HAL

Booked: NCL Sun April 19 - May 7, 2018.
Seattle to Port Canaveral via Panama Canal
Our third transit through the Canal.

1999-2016: 23 cruises
12 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
#13
Southern CA
3,061 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by TiogaCruiser
We've always enjoyed our virtual window on HAL, except when we forget to turn it on.... Interesting it always faces forward.
We love it, too, we also like the music it plays. We usually do one formal night with it on and room service, with pajamas, drinking, dancing and a movie!
Our upcoming b2b we are doing this once.
DH just happened to ask about it yesturday.