Carnval Vista in Galveston

Shari1213

Pier 21 is right next door to the terminal. If you want to see her sail in as she is coming into the channel, your best bet would be to go down by the Ferry landing on Ferry Rd, or go over to Pelican Island and see if you can get a good view from right outside Seawolf park (don't remember what the view of the channel is like from outside the park). You might be able to get a good view (at a bit of a distance), simply by driving down to the tip of the island at Fort Jacinto, but with the ship coming in so early, it will be dark and you may not be able to see much. Sunrise is forecast for 7:08am.

Be advised that there is a 60% chance of thunderstorms for Sunday as well. I'm not a local, but I love going to Galveston and have a pretty good feel for the island.

So... it might rain. It will be crowded either way. Here's what works for us.

Drive down 45S and continue on Broadway. Turn left on 19th and go right towards the Oil Rig Museum. There are few spaces there with a lock box pay system that takes $5. You can walk right on the cement dock in front of Olympia Grill and Willie G's with a spectacular view of the ship and where it will turn around.

The weather and tides will play a factor if they turn the ship around early of at sailing.

You might be able to get a good view (at a bit of a distance), simply by driving down to the tip of the island at Fort Jacinto, but with the ship coming in so early, it will be dark and you may not be able to see much. Sunrise is forecast for 7:08am.

When Disney Magic arrived in Galveston a few years ago a lot of people turned out to watch her arrive. I was one that initially watched from the end of the seawall near Fort San Jacinto. You are correct that you really only see the ship from a distance from there. The good thing was that it's far enough from the pier that I had time to drive over, park near The Strand, and still have time to walk over and watch her dock. It wouldn't be worth watching from near Fort SJ this time since it will still be dark.