Ten Pound Poms?

Neilius

I managed to get a copy of my parents original application form from 1963 that they submited to migrate to Australia.

It has details of the ship, a pass so they could catch the train to Southampton, medical reports, photos. Amazing stuff.

The actual details might not be as interesting to you as they are to me (since it's my history), but it will give you some idea of the details that are in the Australian National Archives if you want to research your own family history.

A copy of our full immigration file is here:

http://neilius.blogspot.com/2008/09/first-step.html

It cost me $16.50.

The National Archives or Australia website is http://naa.gov.au - absolutely amazing.

I just clicked the link you supplied not expecting to see any record of my family migrating to Australia in 1961 when I was 12 aboard the FairSky, and there was my late Fathers name along with My Mothers and my two sisters.

I really appreciate you posting the link, and yes it is exciting when it is about your own family history.

Thankyou again,

Regards Izabelle

I came out on Castel Felice in 1 September 1966, that ship is on your list Nellius, thanks. Our family is mentioned in archives.

NOW, the IBERIA, I met my wife on a cruise to Fiji on the Iberia in 1970. I note she was a migrant ship too. When I was on board Sun Princess in June/July, in the Wheelhouse Bar, there is a lovely model of Iberia.!!

• 1 month later...

My parent emigrated as newly weds, Had four children then went back to England when my Grandparents got sick. We sailed on the Fairsea in 1961, I was only a baby so I dont remember any of that trip. Ten years later Dad applied for 2nd assisted passage, and we sailed on the Ellinis March 1971. Was a teenageer so had a ball. Took me till last year to convince DH (Wombat50) to go on a cruise. Now he is hooked.

I looked up the Archives and found our imigration details for the Ellinis, but not Mum and Dads original files.

Cheers Lesley

My parent emigrated as newly weds, Had four children then went back to England when my Grandparents got sick. We sailed on the Fairsea in 1961, I was only a baby so I dont remember any of that trip. Ten years later Dad applied for 2nd assisted passage, and we sailed on the Ellinis March 1971. Was a teenageer so had a ball. Took me till last year to convince DH (Wombat50) to go on a cruise. Now he is hooked.

I looked up the Archives and found our imigration details for the Ellinis, but not Mum and Dads original files.

Cheers Lesley

Lesley

Do you have any old photos of your trip on Ellinis?

Neil

That was a quick reply. No, my Dad has all the old photo's, I would have to get his photo albums and have a look through them. I do have the original Post Cards from each ship in my Album. Scanned them but carnt get them up. Have to get the kids to do it.!

• 8 months later...

Did any ten pounders sail with the Faistar in Sept 1966.

WE did the month long trip but has a great time.

WE went to Cairo instead of going through the Suez and yes a tale to tell

there??

As you all say gave a taste of ship bopard life but took a good few years to get over the experience.

REgards Irene and Stan Off on our 14th cruise SEpt 30th.2009.

My family also came out to NZ as ten pound poms and I actually learned to walk on the ship.

Ditto maybe that's what gave me my love of cruising and seemingly (touch wood) immunisation against seasickness.

Ten years later my Mum and I went back to England on a ship one way through Panama and the other around the Cape...utter bliss and I do remember a fair bit of it.

Good topic!!

I'm convinced my hubby fell in love with cruising at age 14, when he had his longerst cruise ever from Southhampton. It was on the MV Fairsea December 1957-January 58.

I think my parents and 2 sisters also emigrated from Poland in 1950 on the same ship (or maybe it was the Fairsea?), but I was born here and never cruised until 2006. I now wish I had caught the cruise bug much earlier.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers,

Anna

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Hello all,

Very interesting reading all the posts. My inlaws are 10 pound poms. Mum and Dad and 9 childred came out on the SS Australis that left Portsmouth on October 16, 1965. I did alot of research for my husbands 50th birthday and got the ships passenger manifest from the Maritime Museum at the Rocks in Sydney. We have a copy of the ticket.

He remembers loosing his sun glasses over board and at Port Said someone offering to buy his sister, and the boys encouraging their father to sell her. Btw there is 7 boys and 2 girls in the family. His first recollections of Australia are buying individual meat pies at the restaurant in Australia Square, getting on a train and going to Melbourne when Mum and Dad and the little ones were put in a camp and the older ones were sent to Baccus Marsh Boarding School, where they celebrated their first hot christmas. He remembers the kids saying that Santa was coming and he said he cant come cause its not snowing. lol. Dad joined the railway and they moved around country Vic and ended up setting in Adelaide.

Thanks for an interesting read

• 8 years later...

Hello there I was on that ship also I was 3 my brother was 9 and sister was 10 I have no knowledge only what my mum has told me will be interesting to find out more

I came upon this site by accident as I am doing some research for a book. What a find! I too came out on assisted passage with my parents' date=' brother & sister in 1969 (I was 9) on the Fairsky. I remember lots of things, from the treacherous Bay of Biscay (the ship apparently had no stabilisers), to the crossing the line ceremony (I was in it and drank salt water!). Breaking down and floating across the equator, struggling in to Capetown. Then departing and having to make another stop in South Africa at Durban cause the engines still weren't right. But I loved every minute of it, I remember visiting Las Palmas and South Africa but I can't remember anywhere else. I am looking for the itinerary if anyone has it.

When we docked in Melbourne we stayed at Preston in the hostel.

I now live on the sunny Gold Coast and would to hear from other passengers. :D[/quote']