First Introduction to Radisson/Regent

mrlevin

When did you first sail on Radisson/Regent?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. When did you first sail on Radisson/Regent?

• 1992 - 1998 - Diamond and Song of Flower (and PG)
    • 1999 - 2003 - Arrival of Navigator, Mariner, and Voyager
    • 2004 - 2009 - the Glory Years
    • 2010 - 2015 - changes in ownership
    • 2016 - 2018 - Arrival of Explorer
    • I have yet to sail Regent

Just curious as to when you first sailed on Radisson/Regent. And, for those yet to sail Regent, you can respond that you have yet to sail.

Marc

PS I cannot see responses; they are anonymous.

Not sure how to answer -- I haven't cruised RSSC yet, but I'm booked on the "Serene Sunsets" 29-days cruise from Vancouver to Miami via Alaska and the Panama Canal, September 12 - October 10, 2018 on the Mariner. It will be my third cruise ever.

The first two: HAL September 2017, 14 days r/trip Seattle to Alaska; and HAL July 18-August 25 38 days r/trip Boston to Rotterdam "Voyage of the Vikings" including Greenland, Iceland, and Norway). So I could just choose 2017-2018, except I haven't sailed yet.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Good poll, Marc. If you can edit the poll, it appears that the change in ownership took place at the end of January 2008. (See: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/1007-13108-apollo-management-unit-prestige-cruise-holdings-acquires-regent-seven-seas-cruises.html)

Yes, we first sailed on Voyager in October 2009, having been introduced to the “Regent” brand in May 2009.

We loved that first cruise with Regent but remember ‘old hands’ muttering about how the cruise line had “gone downhill” under new management. Some people just do not like change.

Yet another good poll, Marc; the results should be fascinating.

Edited by flossie009

Good poll, Marc. If you can edit the poll, it appears that the change in ownership took place at the end of January 2008. (See: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/1007-13108-apollo-management-unit-prestige-cruise-holdings-acquires-regent-seven-seas-cruises.html)

Dave, I wanted one choice to end in 2003 and the Explorer age began in 2016 so I split the difference. Beside ownership changes, another break could have been when the conversion to Regent happened. I think the six year buckets will work fine; I imagine both those buckets could be the mode but won't be surprised if the plurality of Regent cruisers are newbies; i.e., from 2016 or have yet to sail.

Marc

I use my iPhone for forums and can’t see any of the polls. Excited about our first Regent Cruise on July 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can use Safari on your iPhone to access the polls. A pain in the neck but otherwise I’d need to walk all the way to my computer which would just be too much work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did the PG in May 2000, not long after it launchedI guess. The ship was managed by Radisson, although never owned by it. That first cruise was superb, and of course, because it was our first cruise ever, very memorable for us.

Did the Diamond in 2004, sprinkled in three more PG cruises before it became independent of Regent.

I'm not sure why you call 2004-2009 the "glory years", except in the sense that there were plenty of bargains, but that spanned from 2001, after 9/11. Perhaps you mean that Voyager and Mariner were spanking new ships.

And Marc, let me remind you that we sailed with you and Arlene on Pip, in 2005. There was a memorable dinner with the captain during a storm coming out of Bora Bora!

I'm not sure why you call 2004-2009 the "glory years", except in the sense that there were plenty of bargains, but that spanned from 2001, after 9/11. Perhaps you mean that Voyager and Mariner were spanking new ships.

And Marc, let me remind you that we sailed with you and Arlene on Pip, in 2005. There was a memorable dinner with the captain during a storm coming out of Bora Bora!

PIP was a wonderful cruise - Party in Paradise; we had lots of fun.

From my perspective, the Radisson then Regent then all inclusive (I forget the year) until excursions were added in 2009 were the best of years. Many of the excursions that were included for free in 2009 are now Regent Choice. Our back to back Navigator (Athens to Istanbul) and Voyager (Copenhagen to Stockholm) where Regent included the flight from Istanbul to Copenhagen was, to me, my last cruise in the glory years. Don't get me wrong, I still think Regent is fantastic just that it has changed.

Marc

PIP was a wonderful cruise - Party in Paradise; we had lots of fun.

From my perspective, the Radisson then Regent then all inclusive (I forget the year) until excursions were added in 2009 were the best of years. Many of the excursions that were included for free in 2009 are now Regent Choice. Our back to back Navigator (Athens to Istanbul) and Voyager (Copenhagen to Stockholm) where Regent included the flight from Istanbul to Copenhagen was, to me, my last cruise in the glory years. Don't get me wrong, I still think Regent is fantastic just that it has changed.

And remember that PIP was NOT the glory year for the Paul Gauguin. Radisson was fighting with the owners (GCT?) over costs, the kitchen was far from its best, staff were overworked and irritable. In fact in week 2 of Pip there were some horrendous incidents involving a large corporate group onboard, and their domination of the ship. Food was very spotty. Fortunately over the years things got better under Regent, then after the new management took over, the ship has been stupendous.

IOO (in our opinion), 2004 was a glory year for the Paul Gauguin (our first Radisson cruise). While I agree that these years were great from certain perspectives, it became better when PCH and later NCLH infused money into the product. Prior to that, the ships were not being maintained as well ITOS (in the opinion of some).

Having the CR menu changed last year is one of the best things that Regent has done in terms of the onboard experience.

Our first cruise ever was on the Diamond 1992 or 3?)....what a great introduction to cruising. Have loved every Radisson/Regent cruise since, and except for the Explorer (one day!) have experienced every ship. What a joy it's been!!

We were introduced to Regent cruises early 2009 by our TA who hosted an evening with the U.K. Regent rep at that time.

Prior to our first Regent cruise June 2009 we sailed with Celebrity cruises from 2003. At that time it was the Century and Millennium class ships then.

Have sailed in all 4 Regent ships now. Jean.

I was part of a large group which came over from Royal Viking Line when the company went out of business in 2003. (Yes, I know there were a few bit and pieces in between) The last 2 years, what had been the Royal Viking Sun was the Seabourn Sun (now the Princendam) and part of Carnival Corp.

Some number of us are still sailing on Regent . . . .

Peggy

Our first sailing on Radisson Seven Seas was in 1997 on Song of Flower from Singapore to Hong Kong. On that itinerary, flights, shore excursions, 2 nights pre and post cruise hotels, and introductory excursions in those cities were included. Tipping was not allowed. It was absolutely, fabulous!

Caroline

Our first Regent cruise was June 2008 on the Paul Gauguin when Regent still leased the ship. Booked that cruise for the location not the cruise line. We were very impressed with the quality and service. Others on board who were frequent Regent cruisers told us that the PG was quite a few steps down from the rest of Regent's ships. Following their advice we tried a Regent Med cruise in 2009 and were even more impressed with quality and service. Have never been disappointed when sailing Regent. Booked on the Splendor in 2020.

I sailed on the Radisson Diamond December 1992-January 1993. It was a Christmas - New Years sailing out of Puerto Rico. I missed my flight due to icy roads and was lucky enough to get a stand-by seat on another Airline. Those days it was easy to hop from one terminal to another, with the driver and my luggage. Got to the ship with my luggage, just in time.

My first husband had passed away just several months before. He was in his early 50’s. We had cruised for many years. I wanted to escape my surroundings for New Years Eve. I chose Diamond because it was small and felt that it might be more comfortable. My TA must have sent a note because from the minute I boarded, the entire staff did everything possible to make it a great journey.

There was dancing in the dining room during dinner. In those days, it was beautiful. Some staff danced the nights away with me. The Captain had me at his table for dinner several nights.

When I left my home, I was escaping reality, when I returned home, I was ready to begin life again.

As many of you know, my husband Herb and I have cruised on Regent ( all the ships) for many years, and haven’t stopped yet.

Looking forward to Splendor in March 2020. Four Regent cruises booked. before that one.

Life is Good!!!

Sheila