Police/emergency scanner on board?

fivekitty

Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring a police/ emergency scanner onboard?

Thanks!

Thanks for all the kind words....it's actually my son who enjoys to listen to that stuff...never should have asked the question....

How can I just delete this post....:(

I don't think that "who" would be listening is really relevant to the question.

Aside from the fact that possession and/or operation of a scanner outside of the US might put you in violation of the law, you should consider that the materials used to construct a cruise ship (think metal walls, floors, and ceilings) can act to make reception a nightmare.

I cannot find anything in the contract or the FAQ that says it is not allowed. I think the real issue is what is he going to listen to? Unless he can find the frequencies that the ship uses there is not likely to be a lot to hear.

I was looking the FINE PRINT over and did not come up with a definite conclusive answer !

I have a Radio Shack all band scanner for railroads (my main forte) aircraft movements and

cruise marine movement chatter.

It is not a transmitting device merely a receiver.

The only adverse result I had was on Carnival leaving San Juan for the Southern Caribbean -

they thought I was bringing on a device to assemble and formulate issues of Mass Destruction

along with my little pocket tools (Leatherman and Swiss Army Knife) my God can't have a MacGyver on

board - imagine the chaos this would cause.

For those interested if the situation arises at San Juan there is a small gift shop near the

security check-in point that accepts these WMD for a small fee until your return (provided

you are making a close loop trip). Not accepted in checked baggage or carry-on - the

rent-a-security Key Stone Cops at their finest !

The use of a scanner is matter left best to discretion !

The major issue herein is taking these radio receivers (and transmitters-transceivers) into

foreign countries where security is of concern. Canada and Mexico are not so foreign to

pose a threat but other countries are not so forgiving. El Dictator - President - Prime Minister

view such items as a personal threat to their regime. With the introduction of Trunk Band

receivers receiving digital signals is perhaps more of issue.

If you do decide to bring your toy with you suggest not visibly displaying playing a game of

hide and seek CIA FBI foreign espionage ! Use it with ear buds or a headset ! Avoid making

faux replys to a non-transmitting device - "Roger that the carpet bombing will commence on

my command" ! "Aye Captain the missile launch is T-minus from commencing" - all the while

looking like you are the MAN - yeah you are the MAN !

Well maybe a tad bit of hyperbole but you should be receiving this message clearly and not

so loudly.

NCL and other cruise lines may object to privileged in house radio transmissions being heard.

Calls such as "Angel xxxx with a cabin number" maybe an indication of a medical emergency

requiring the ship's doctor or medical staff to that cabin for attention. Absolutely stay away

from any side-walk viewing gawking least you be identified as the leaking source !

As always good judgment - listen - stay away - and enjoy your private communications respite !

Best place to have your receiver device is in your carry-on so that you will know immediately

of what the problem is and not later delaying your cruise enjoyment with a visit to the Naughty

Room to find out the disposition of your toy !

You can take Walkie Talkies on board but the use of same is questionable with the steel hull

structure of the ship. Use by both grown ups as well as children is subject to being a good

device to keep friends and family together or a royal nuisance pain to quiet serenity !

In place of W-Ts the use of cell phones is a better option while it is more expensive. With an

Apt phone package the in house ships phones may connect directly to your cell phone ?!?

Princess Cruise Lines - theme is to "ESCAPE COMPLETELY" - Why not on NCL ?

States like Indiana, Florida, Kentucky, Minnesota, and New York make it illegal to use a mobile police scanner without a license from the Federal Communications Commission or permission from local law enforcement, reports NBC.

Don't use it if you are sailing out of Miami.

Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring a police/ emergency scanner onboard?

Thanks![/quote

No they are not allowed. I checked with NCL directly prior to going on the Getaway.

Thanks for all the kind words....it's actually my son who enjoys to listen to that stuff...never should have asked the question....

How can I just delete this post....:(

The only dumb question is the question not asked. People just like to joke and tease on this site. That being said, it's probably a crapshoot; between security personnel deciding it's a dangerous item and not allowing it on the ship or unintentionally bringing it to a country where it's illegal to possess such a device. If it's a necessity, probably no harm in bringing it except you could possibly lose it (worst case) or have it held in the naughty room. If it's not a necessity prob better to not bring it.

Thanks I'll look into the marine radio.

It is a comfort to him. Thx for the suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fivekitty,

I'm a retired LEO.

For a short time after I retired I used a scanner as white noise to help me sleep. (It was nice knowing I didn't have to answer those calls anymore). So I can relate to your DS finding comfort.

As far as getting it on board, you really need to ask NCL. We can tell you what we think or what we heard. NCL has the final say, ask there.

If you chose to bring it anyway.....bring headphones......the "Squawk" is distinctive and will draw attention.

Also, a good handheld Bearcat type scanner should have the ability to scan/hold Marine 16.

Mark

As long as the scanner is just that, a scanner, it should be okay, the problem comes with transmitters. Now, not all police/emergency services around the world transmit on the same frequencies, so depending on the spectrum that your scanner will receive, you may or may not receive anything. As for marine channels, near ports you will probably get some traffic, but on sea days or nights, not so much. Channel 16 is a distress and hailing channel, so messages there are rather short, and usually an initial contact between vessels with a request to move to another working channel.

The apps for phones to receive police/emergency calls does not make your phone into a radio receiver, there must be someone in the locale who scans the frequencies and uploads them to the internet, so again, you may not receive much at all times.