Just back from the Grandeur

judiek

We got home last night,safe and sound,from New Orleans.We had a great cruise.The weather in the ports was wonderful.The last 2 days sailing back were very windy and kind of cool.The ship is showing it age but I have to say the service personnel is the best we have ever encountered in 19 cruises.No request was ever a problem...always cheerully handled.I don't think we ever passed an employee,no matter what level,that did not exchange a pleasantry.As far as dress code,most people adhered to it.I say most because there were people in the dining room that looked like they thought they were going to Denny's for dinner.Thats okay...it's their vacation and they should be able to wear what they want (I guess).I was confused about the talk about smart casual being done away with.Well to clarify that issue,it is called smart casual but the daily compass list that as dress or pant suits for the ladies and trousers and shirts for the men.No longer is a sport coat required.If anyone has any questions,let me know.I will be happy to respond

I'll be on the Grandeur this summer. Was the showing the age in the public areas, cabins or both? Which type of room did you have and did you find it adequate? Was the South Seas Lounge a really loud kind of nightclub or more subdued? (our room is above!)

Signs of age were showing in the cabins and some of the public areas.The deck chairs could all be replaced.The rugs in the elevators that get changed daily were pretty worn also.....I think they just redid the dining room...it is lovely. I really think that I noticed a lot of wear and tear because I was looking for it.The ship is,by no means,in bad shape...mostly minor things.The South Pacific lounge was pretty lively every night but I don't think it would be lud enough to bother you at night.We had an outside cabin on the second deck.Plenty of storage space.The bathroom on the other hand....but you kind of expect small unless you are lucky enough to have a suite.You will have a great time...the staff is amazing and the food,we all thought,was better than we expected.

Mrchips 14.....The muster drill was before we departed.The weather in New Orleans was wonderful.We flew down the day before the cruise and has a great day...Perfect weather,especially since we left home with temps of about 40 degrees....Bourbon St defies description..if you have never been there...get ready! As far as the shows went..I thought they were average....a couple good comedians.We are not realy big on production shows so we skipped a few of them.The lounge acts were pretty good.The pool band was fun to listen to.Some good steel drum music and caribbean music.Although I never thought of "Who let the dogs out" as being island music...They did have some Zideco music in the Schooner every single night.Probably very good because they sure had to crowd jumping and dancing.Its just not a New Yorkers kind of music.

PAfamily...don't even give the wear and tear a thought.Like I said,I was kind of on the look out for it so I did notice some bad stuff.....but believe me...it in no way effected the cruise and all the fun we did have.

The cruise director was Tom Canosa....I really don't pay too much attention the the CD but this guy was great.Alot of fun,very visable and a great sense of humor...If he is still on board you will be in for a treat

We were on this cruise 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful time. We've cruised RCCL 10 times and I would get on this ship again in a heartbeat. While there may be some signs of the ship getting older, I didn't see it. I never noticed the "smell" on deck 4 and the food was better than we've had on our previous cruises. The crew is very professional and the service was great. I really liked the design of the ship and anyone looking at giving-up tickets for this cruise I'll gladly take them off your hands LOL. For those of you getting ready to go on this cruise, get ready for a great vacation.....Big John

My family and I are leaving on Saturday 4/23. I'm glad to hear you had a good time. OK here are my questions (I've been on cruises before but never out of New Orleans).

How long a ride would you say it's from the airport to the cruise terminal?

Did you book a car/shuttle in advance or just catch one when you got off the plane?

During the cruise did you stop at all the designated stops on the itinerary?

Thanks for your help,

Lisa

Judiek, thanks for the info! We set sail on the Grandeur in July with my husband's family, and it is good to hear positive reviews!

Can you tell me if your cabin safe was opened by a number combination or with a magnetic strip on a credit card? In the past we have always had number combinations, but I understand some ship's safes use magnetic strips.

thanks! MrsB

We were on the Grandeur in Feb. and the only wear and tear I could see would be in the cabins, but who is in the cabin anyway. I agree about the lounge chairs they are getting very worn. The crew was wonderful and very friendly. I wouldn't hesitate at all going on the Grandeur again. I happen to like that size of ship. If you have the chance, take the New Orleans tour after the cruise. It was great.

Just got off the Grandeur Saturday also!

Had the most marvelous time and have already started checking into next year. Tom Canosa is great. The shows were ok the first of the week but nothing to write home about but don't miss the last performance by the singers and dancers - something called Romance ... it is a don't miss. Two good comedians also.

Service was wonderful as always.

Costa Maya is beautiful. If you just want to shop and lounge at a pool you don's have to pay a thing for the pool that's at the end of the peir. It's actualy the best pool I've ever seen anywhere including the states and it's free.

Don't miss the ship though, we saw a young couple stranded there. I think they were on the Explorer and didn't make it back in time. They WILL leave you.

Weather was beautiful. If going in the next couple of weeks Make sure to read your pink slip about where to park that comes with your docs. Park in the parking lot that has the big whale, right across from terminal two (carnival is in port also at terminal one). Park close to the fence and there are porters in that parking lot to take your luggage. Walk across the trolly tracks and your there.

I didn't see any signs of wear and tear, no sewage smell (i was on the 4th) and this is my 15th cruise so I'm no newbie. This ship is wonderful and the steam room and solarium are a don't miss also. Bar B Q buffet at the pool is great also, happens around Thursday I think.

I had to travel by myself this time because my roomie had to back out at the last minute but had a wonderful time anyway.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away. I don't have any info though on air terminals as I live in Mississippi.

Hi everyone....Put my first full day in at the office today.The worst day of the year is the first day back to work after vacation.It makes you realize the job is a trade off for being abel to take a couple great vacations every year.

icdmartin....the trip from airport to hotel and the return cruise terminal to airport is just about 30 min.We booked a shuttle on line...I think it was just called airport shuttle.Fairly convenient and we paid 65 for 6 passengers,not including tip.We had to concierge at the hotel get us a cab big enough for all 6 of us and loads of luggage.He call Superior Shuttle Sevice.Real nice young man named Tim.We booked him for the return trip and he said to call him when we are getting our luggage and he would be waiting outside for us.i called him and he was there within a few minutes.12 dollars per person.His name is Tim Williams 504/382-3101.I would call him again in a heartbeat.

MrsB...the safes are locked with a credit card.My husband and I have seperate credit cards and I thought it might be a problem if I needed to get into the safe and he wasnt with me.The only cards we have the same are our debit cards.....that worked.

PaFamily...I took loads of pictures.If I could figure out how to post them on the web I would love to share them...but I am pretty much computer illiterate.But I will try and let you know if I succeed.

We were so impressed with the staff on the Grandeur that I actually wrote a letter to TCCL to tell them what an asset the staff we encountered were to the company.

I am so jealous of all you guys still looking forward to the cruise.

Thank you so much for the information. I will call Tim and book him (we also have 6 passangers, my husband, 3 kids, mom and myself). I am looking forward to vacation, but I am a little nervous about flying in to catch the cruise (we live in NJ and usually leave out of NY) not about flying itself but about getting bumped or the airline losing/damaging our bags (I guess I'm watching too much of that Airport show on A&E).

I still have some shopping to do and I have not starting packing yet. The weather here has been so nice that the kids are wearing the clothes I set aside for the cruise, so I'll have to do a quick load of laundry before we go.

Last year we did Disney (the park, not cruise). With a 12, 8 and 2 year old, it was nice but I needed a rest after the vacation. Hopefully the youngest will like the kids club on the cruise so I'll get to relax a little. We also booked the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel, all of us are really excited about that.

I know what you mean about going back to work after vacation, it's so depressing. Why can't we just win the lottery :).

Is "Tom Two" still on the cruise directors staff? He went by that name to distiguish himself from the cruise director, Tom Canosa. Also, does anyone remember if our favorite waiter is still there - he goes by the name Gino Capuccino. Very lively and outgoing - you would remember if you had met him.

I didn't see any signs of wear and tear, no sewage smell (i was on the 4th) and this is my 15th cruise so I'm no newbie. This ship is wonderful and the steam room and solarium are a don't miss also. Bar B Q buffet at the pool is great also, happens around Thursday I think.

Hi Surfsup, I will be on the 4th floor in October. Did you notice if you could smell any smoke from the Champange bar in the 4th floor rooms? Which room were you in? I will be in 4066 this Oct. Thanks!

Archived