About to book 2014 cruise - Uniworld vs Viking

JPH814

Hi:

I am a 58 year old veteran ocean cruiser but first time river cruiser.

We are going with another couple on a river cruise in late September 2014 that will end with our own side trip to the Octoberfest. We have narrowed it down to a couple of itineraries - one Vienna to Nuremburg and the other Prague/Melnik to Berlin.

Variations on both cruises are available on Uniworld and on Viking. I have a couple of questions:

I see that Uniworld has announced an all-inclusive policy for 2014. I assume that Viking is not all inclusive; am I correct?

Usually - on ocean cruises - all inclusive lines are a little more upscale. Would you say that Uniworld is more upscale than Viking?

Does anyone have an opinion of one of these itineraries versus the other?

Does anyone have an opinion on one of these cruiselines versus the other?

Joe, my wife and I have taken only one river cruise (will be taking our second this summer) - Uniworld's Normandy itinerary. Our experience was so good that my wife will not consider any other cruise line. I would likely be happy on other lines, but she talked to some folks on Viking tours who were not quite as pleased, overall, as our fellow Uniworld shipmates were. The multiple-docking phenomenon seems to be more common on Viking than on other cruise lines, from what I can tell. Some people are upset when this happens.

From what we can tell, Uniworld may be a better choice for those who like "Old World" style luxuries and traditional decor, while Viking has more contemporary decor and perhaps a bit less luxe. Personally, I'd pick the cruise line that had the itinerary that most appealed to me, as river cruising in general seems like a pretty high-end vacation with plenty of creature comforts.

One thing to consider - the usual staterooms on Uniworld are quite small. We had a suite (essentially twice the size) on the Normandy cruise and will repeat that on our Danube cruise this year. Don't know that I'd be happy without one.

We have been on 6 Uniworld and loved each. We have been on 4 Viking and loved only one--China. Of the other one the Elbe was very good and one the Sky from Antwerp-Basel not good. We never thought a trip could be better than Uniworld, but our 2 AMAwaterways were wonderful.

Unless I've missed something on Uniworld's itineraries, don't think they do the Elbe--your Prague-Berlin. Look at the itineraries closely and then decide. Good luck and be aware that river cruising can be addictive--we leave on our 16th in June--one of the first trips on the Gironde in France with Road Scholar. We are going before crowding starts--next year both Uniworls and Viking join the itinerary. Pat

• 3 weeks later...

We have traveled on Uniworld and Avalon and loved both of them. The main reason we have not tried Viking is they want you to pay for the cruise up front, even though it might be a year away. Both Uniworld and Avalon allow you to pay in increments or wait until a couple of months before you sail. One cruiser was correct about the Elbe itinerary - as far as we have been able to tell - Viking is the only company that does that route because the river is much more shallow than the other rivers and they are the only company that has ships able to navigate that river.

Cole

Hi:

Variations on both cruises are available on Uniworld and on Viking. I have a couple of questions:

I see that Uniworld has announced an all-inclusive policy for 2014. I assume that Viking is not all inclusive; am I correct?

Uniworld is all inclusive for 2014... and no, Viking is not. The only other "all inclusive" (at least at this point in time....) is Scenic. Tauck is also pretty all inclusive - just not sure if the bar is open all day however (as it is on Scenic...)

Usually - on ocean cruises - all inclusive lines are a little more upscale. Would you say that Uniworld is more upscale than Viking?

We have been on 3 cruises with Uniworld - and quite enjoyed them. We enjoy the "old world" ambiance, but realize that isn't for everyone.

Our 1st Viking cruise is this April - on one of the long-ships. We booked for price/itinerary. There have been a number of people who have posted that they felt the Viking experience was "less" than what they had hoped for (or enjoyed on other lines) - but I do know someone who sailed Viking and said it was "top notch". This person is widely travelled, so value his opinion.

I will be comparing the two - but not sure if you want to wait until that time. There are lots of Early Booking discounts on right now - and if you have a specific itinerary or date in mind, you are best to snap it up early.

Usually, I would say that the Viking policy of paying in full is a detriment, however Uniworld's best prices are also if you pay in full. So the difference here is having to (with Viking) or choosing to (with Uniworld if you want the best price....)

Fran

Edited by franski

Usually, I would say that the Viking policy of paying in full is a detriment

Have seen this before but not sure why it gets repeated. Viking's payment policy (from their website) is as follows:

A deposit for cruise fare of $500 per person is required to secure a confirmed reservation. Promotions may have different payment terms—please refer to the offer. When more than one cruise is booked, deposit and payment policies apply per cruise. The final balance is due no later than 90 days prior to sailing. All reservations are subject to cancellation if payments are not received by the due date. Air seats are limited; airfares are subject to change and are not guaranteed until full payment of air is received.

Granted, they run a lot of promotions where final payment is due at time of booking or on a given date (a number of current promotions have a February 28th final payment) well in advance of the cruise, and although I'm not familiar with Uniworld, sounds like they have the same policy on promotions. I guess we're so use to always having to pay for air fare at the time of booking, this part doesn't seem to bother us.

We have traveled on Uniworld and Avalon and loved both of them. The main reason we have not tried Viking is they want you to pay for the cruise up front, even though it might be a year away. Both Uniworld and Avalon allow you to pay in increments or wait until a couple of months before you sail. One cruiser was correct about the Elbe itinerary - as far as we have been able to tell - Viking is the only company that does that route because the river is much more shallow than the other rivers and they are the only company that has ships able to navigate that river.

Cole

Grand Circle does, too. We went on the Elbe with Grand Circle this past May. The river was very low and both Viking and Grand Circle boats got stuck because of the low water.

Have seen this before but not sure why it gets repeated. Viking's payment policy (from their website) is as follows:

A deposit for cruise fare of $500 per person is required to secure a confirmed reservation. Promotions may have different payment terms—please refer to the offer. When more than one cruise is booked, deposit and payment policies apply per cruise. The final balance is due no later than 90 days prior to sailing. All reservations are subject to cancellation if payments are not received by the due date. Air seats are limited; airfares are subject to change and are not guaranteed until full payment of air is received.

Granted, they run a lot of promotions where final payment is due at time of booking or on a given date (a number of current promotions have a February 28th final payment) well in advance of the cruise, and although I'm not familiar with Uniworld, sounds like they have the same policy on promotions. I guess we're so use to always having to pay for air fare at the time of booking, this part doesn't seem to bother us.

Most of their promotional material is advertising the "2-for-1" sale (that never ends...) If you want the posted 2-for-1 price, you need to pay in full either at time of booking, or within a few weeks. I think the $500 pp booking is for full-price bookings.

Uniworld is somewhat different in that you have 2 options --> the pay in full discount, or a lesser discount if you just place a deposit.

I am not sure about air - as we usually book on our own. Uniworld does offer airport transfers even if you don't do their air - so airport transfers haven't (to date) affected our decision on air.

One area that I would suggest doing air with the company is in Russia... (unless you book Uniworld or Scenic...) as I think it could be very difficult getting to or from the airport on your own.

Fran

My TA says it's all about itinerary and then age of ship. He/she thinks that the ships we should be looking at are 2009 and younger.

So...perhaps looking at age of ships for those itineraries might help you.

Nobody is a bigger Uniworld fan than I am, but I will tell you hands down that the most fulfilling, meaningful and memorable trip I ever took was Viking's Elegant Elbe trip (Berlin:Magdeburg to Prague:Melnik) aboard the Clara Schumann many years ago, and I understand she has been recently refurbished. Don't miss it. I agree with those that say the itinerary is more important than the vessel...

Grand Circle does, too. We went on the Elbe with Grand Circle this past May. The river was very low and both Viking and Grand Circle boats got stuck because of the low water.

I stand corrected - Grand Circle does the Elbe - but after seeing photos of the cramped quarters (twin beds that make into couches during the day) and just large windows in each cabin - decided those were too tight quarters for the two of us. But this trip is on our bucket list one day. ;)

Cole

I stand corrected - Grand Circle does the Elbe - but after seeing photos of the cramped quarters (twin beds that make into couches during the day) and just large windows in each cabin - decided those were too tight quarters for the two of us. But this trip is on our bucket list one day. ;)

Cole

Yes, the rooms were small. That doesn't bother us, though. We spend so little time in our room.

One area that I would suggest doing air with the company is in Russia... (unless you book Uniworld or Scenic...) as I think it could be very difficult getting to or from the airport on your own.

You can always buy the transfers separately (at least on Viking) if you provide your own air. We've done this several times when using airline miles for the air and/or had earlier arrival or departure plans on one end of the trip which fell outside the normal pre/post departure air criteria. As you mentioned in some cases it definitely is a plus, Passau to Munich comes to mind for us.

You can always buy the transfers separately (at least on Viking) if you provide your own air. We've done this several times when using airline miles for the air and/or had earlier arrival or departure plans on one end of the trip which fell outside the normal pre/post departure air criteria. As you mentioned in some cases it definitely is a plus, Passau to Munich comes to mind for us.

I have always thought Prague was another transfer that I would like the cruise company to take care of.

We are travelling with Viking this April - and booked our own air... (got a smoking deal on Lufthansa). Just waiting for final confirmation re: hotels - as I believe that the hotels Viking books (1 night in Bucharest at the beginning, 2 in Budapest at the end...) do offer shuttle service - so I can book that before we leave home!!!

Fran

OP, just curious if you've considered AMA Waterways?

I second this. You absolutely should consider AMA. I will not comment on the other lines mentioned because we have not cruised on them. That being said, my wife and I are very well seasoned travelers with over 15 ocean cruises and numerous land trips under our belt. The Danube cruise we took with AMA last year was without a doubt the most outstanding vacation we have ever had. We are booked with them for a Christmas markets cruise this year.

Thank you for all the advice. We have decided on the Uniworld from Vienna to Nuremburg/Prague.

FYI - We looked at the AMA cruise. Our friends want to spend a couple of days post cruise at Octoberfest. With AMA, it is a 12 day cruise starting in Budapest - a city we really did not care to invest the time. Uniworld and Viking are 10 days packages. We thought the two less days on the Uniworld package starting in Vienna) would give us those two days to use at the Octoberfest.

Sounds like it is difficult to make a bad choice among Viking, AMA and Uniworld

We've done Viking twice -- Amsterdam to Basel and the Tulips/Windmills (Amsterdam round trip). Not done Uniworld so can't compare. We've been VERY pleased with Viking. Ships are nice; crew is great; food is more than decent; tours are wonderful.

Not sure why folks say it's not all-inclusive. Tours are included. Wine/beer is included. Tipping is not required. Not sure what people think is missing.

If the only issue is payment policy -- that's a fair criticism. But that is very different than saying a particular line is better for the overall cruise experience.

We've done Viking twice ....

Not sure why folks say it's not all-inclusive. Tours are included. Wine/beer is included. Tipping is not required. Not sure what people think is missing.

Well, tipping may not be "required" - but it is recommended... Viking is quite clear in their literature that gratuities are not included, and give a suggested amount. No, you don't have to pay, but we have always felt that the suggested amount is more than fair for the type of service we have received. There are many comments here re: tipping - and it is one topic guaranteed to bring out the "passion" in people!!! :eek:

All inclusive means airport transfers (even if you book your own air), wine/beer/soft drinks free all day (not just at meal times), gratuities included, no optional excursion to pay for. Viking does not provide any of these things.

Tauck has been all-inclusive for awhile, Scenic is all-inclusive starting this year - and Uniworld next year.

An all-inclusive package isn't for everyone.... and you do pay for these items, but it is up-front, instead of day-to-day (ie: guides) or at the end of the cruise (ie: CD and crew).

Fran

Hi:

I am a 58 year old veteran ocean cruiser but first time river cruiser.

We are going with another couple on a river cruise in late September 2014 that will end with our own side trip to the Octoberfest. We have narrowed it down to a couple of itineraries - one Vienna to Nuremburg and the other Prague/Melnik to Berlin.

Does anyone have an opinion of one of these itineraries versus the other?

My wife and I will be taking our second river Boat cruise our first was Uniworld and was just Fantastic We chose Uniworld again for this July

Also I understand that Uniworld is much more Upscale from Vicking

stur Dayton,ohio

Pat,

Noticed that you have been on quite a few Uniworld River Cruises. We are going on the April 25, 2013 cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam. Have you or anyone out there done this or planning to take this sailing? We are wondering if anyone is interested in pre/post trip itinerary?

Bob

hoppgator@aol.com

2-25-13

H20str- I don't want to hijack this thread, but I noticed you're taking the same gct trip to Myanmar and Ankor Wat that I am, only you're going one week earlier. Would love to share info/ideas with you before, during or after.

jrsebastian65 at g mail dot com.:D

Edited by travelinjudy

• 11 months later...

We have traveled with Avalon, Uniworld and Viking. We list them in the order of which we prefer. Avalon and Uniworld were the best by far for us. Viking was a wine cruise and we had the same wines (from Viking's vineyards) every night even tho we were cruising in France thru the wine country. The food on Viking was fair only one night was very good. Most of the staff spoke very little English and it was difficult for them to understand us when we had a problem in our cabin.

That being said, we enjoy river cruising very much and with the criticism we had on Viking we still enjoyed the cruise. Choose the itinerary that is best for you

We have only cruised with Viking but we were completely satisfied. Everything was perfect. Not one complaint. Food was great. Remember food is very subjective so what one likes others may not. Staff very attentive. Room well appointed. Heated bathroom floors were fantastic!! Tours were great. Audiovox worked perfectly. Size of groups were great. Never a down time with internet. All of our staff spoke English. Not sure if we would want the all inclusive style since we aren't drinkers and in the long run with all inclusive, you pay for it. Tipping at the end is not a big problem and it wouldn't be a deal breaker to us.