Just curious about lunch options

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:33 PM.
chicago area
735 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Does the Royal Princess have sit down restaurant open on boarding day like the Coral does? Is the Wheelhouse Bar just a bar, like on the Coral, or does it serve pub grub on sea days. Also, any dining tips or "do not miss" on this ship would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,754 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by coordinator23
Does the Royal Princess have sit down restaurant open on boarding day like the Coral does? Is the Wheelhouse Bar just a bar, like on the Coral, or does it serve pub grub on sea days. Also, any dining tips or "do not miss" on this ship would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your feedback.
One of the Anytime dining rooms off the Piazza will have lunch between noon & 1:30 on embarkation day.

Wheelhouse Bar is adjacent to the Crown Grill & both venues were used to serve our Pub Lunch on some sea days.

The best dining tip I could recommend is the Winemakers Dinner that's offered a couple of times in their separate Wine Cellar area of the Anytime dining rooms. Like the Chef's Table participation is limited to 12 passengers and for $40 to me it's a great dining experience.

Alfredo's Pizzeria has not only pizza but a multicourse meal without any extra fee. Gelato's had great ice cream treats & Oceans Terrace Seafood Bar had tasty seafood such as the crab dish (both fee based). The buffet is great & the coffee machines there & throughout the ship provide free filtered coffee made from ground coffee.

These are just some of the many reasons that the Royal & Regal are great for us.
chicago area
735 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Sounds great. My 92 year old father loves a cup of coffee now and then. A coffee machine, using real grounds, sounds great. Thank you for the additional information. This will be our fourth Princess cruise, and we are looking forward to it!
1,315 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
On Royal, where can I get a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs lunch on embark day?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Over 100 cruises. Then my dementia kicked in. Now I can't remember just how many cruises I've taken.
And God willing, may He grant you good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,754 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Sounds great. My 92 year old father loves a cup of coffee now and then. A coffee machine, using real grounds, sounds great. Thank you for the additional information. This will be our fourth Princess cruise, and we are looking forward to it!
Hopefully you'll have a great cruise with your father. While I like the Coral very much, there are more things we prefer on the Royal-class ships but others will feel differently.

It was convenient to not have to make as many trips to the IC for coffee. Having the card there was no fee at the IC so cost wasn't a factor. In the buffet's area they have a coffee shop which is only for specialty coffee drinks but it was convenient.
Jacksonville, FL USA
845 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
When ever I'm boarding the Regal or Royal, I forego the crowds and just have lunch at the International Cafe on deck 5, where we board. Right next to it is the coffee shop and you can get a coffee card there too.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pacific Princess 12/17
Regal Princess 11/17
Regal Princess 03/17
Royal Princess 12/16
Royal Princess 11/16
Regal Princess 04/16
Regal Princess 02/16
Regal Princess 01/16
Coral Princess 04/15
Coral Princess 10/14
Legend of the Seas 01/14
Island Princess 04/13
Coral Princess 11/12
Freedom of the Seas 03/12
Grand Princess 12/11
Grand Princess 12/11
Freedom of the Seas 2/11
Ruby Princess 12/09
Emerald Princess 04/09
Emerald Princess 11/08
Mariner of the Seas 04/08
Carnival 2007
Celebrity 2006
Carnival 2005
Carnival 2004
OKINAWA 1981
SS Oriana 03/64
SS Oriana 10/63
Lihue HI & Calimesa CA
5,209 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Kingofcool1947
On Royal, where can I get a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs lunch on embark day?
If they have the kid's menu available during the lunch in the MDR, you can get spaghetti & meatballs from that.
If the waiter refuses because "you're not a kid", ask to speak to the head waiter. Anyone can order from the kid's menu, but some waiters either aren't aware or don't want to bother.
Texas
1,852 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by JF - retired RRT
If they have the kid's menu available during the lunch in the MDR, you can get spaghetti & meatballs from that.
If the waiter refuses because "you're not a kid", ask to speak to the head waiter. Anyone can order from the kid's menu, but some waiters either aren't aware or don't want to bother.
DW has ordered spaghetti & meatballs from the kid's menu. I've ordered the volcano. We've never had a problem. Anyone - no matter how old - can order from the kid's menu, and anyone - no matter how young - can order from the regular menu.
1,315 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by NavyVeteran
DW has ordered spaghetti & meatballs from the kid's menu. I've ordered the volcano. We've never had a problem. Anyone - no matter how old - can order from the kid's menu, and anyone - no matter how young - can order from the regular menu.
Thank you.!
I didn't know there is a kid's menu, and that adults can order off it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Over 100 cruises. Then my dementia kicked in. Now I can't remember just how many cruises I've taken.
And God willing, may He grant you good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Does the Royal Princess have sit down restaurant open on boarding day like the Coral does?
Yes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
Coastal North Carolina
7,067 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Our go to place for embarkation lunch on Royal or Regal is Alfredos, seldom crowded and we enjoy the food. But no spaghetti and meatballs, excellent suggestion about ordering that off the children's menu, they also have it on Italian night on the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunsetbeachgal. Princess Elite Member, HAL *** Mariner
From the Sunny North Carolina Coast

Next: British Isles, Royal Princess June, 2018

Completed: Regal Princess, Feb 2017, Oasis of the Seas, Nov., 2016, Regal Princess Repo. Oct. 2016, Scenic Cruises Rhine River, June, 2016, Coral Princess Carib., Jan, 2016, HAL Eurodam, N. Europe, June, 2015, Regal Princess Carib., Jan. 2015, HAL Prinsendam, No. Europe, Sept. 2014, Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Carib., Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Carib., May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Carib. Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Carib., Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Carib.- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Carib.-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Carib.-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Carib.-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Carib.-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Med.-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Carib.-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Carib.-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/N.E.-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating 35 years of cruising!