T-shirts in MDR???

riffatsea

I live in California and I have often said that in going to a formal affair in California I could put on anything in my closet and someone else will show up dressed just like me. Only in California does that rule apply.

Ever attended a wedding at a nude beach or nudist resort? ;). I hear they got lots of those in Californica. :)

Sorry, missed this post. I wasn't there when the guests were turned away but I believe at least one was wearing shorts which are not allowed in MDR at dinner time. (Breakfast and lunch shorts are fine.) I was told "several" people by someone in our roll call group (a huge group - our Meet and Greet filled Skywalker's!). I don't know about the other folks.

Yeah... tbat's probably the main "transgression" on Smart Casual nights.

Too bad! Up until now the posts have been helpful and polite and I really appreciated the feedback.

I have to agree that it was nice for a while to see a thread that wasn't snarky. The OP clearly stated that she was merely asking and, if the answer was negative, her husband would simply wear what was considered appropriate attire. At no time did she try to press the argument that he should be able to wear the tee shirts in MDR if it wasn't allowed.

Exactly how I read/interpreted the OP's original post. A fair and well laid out post IMHO.

Being from Ca. also I will have to side with the San Diego folks, we live just north of San Diego proper and a night out to dinner is everything from shorts and "T's" to jeans and "T's"/collared shirts, depends on the time of year. We don't do "Formal" nights because we feel it's a waste of time and money, don't get me wrong I do own a tux and will wear it to a formal wedding, on a cruise it's totally informal, vacation is vacation plain and simple and no one will dictate what I wear, plain and simple.

We have travelled enough over the years and now can spot the folks from different areas of the US, just by the way they wear their shorts/shirts and footwear, combinations worn by the women and their footwear, attitudes, accents/lingo, and how up tight or how relaxed they present themselves. Just saying. FYI, I'm in my early 60's

To some on here everyone who does not meet their standards of dress and where they choose to eat are "REDNECKS". It is their way to insult everyone that they look down on.

I guess it's alright for you to insult those who don't agree with you? Look who's calling the kettle black!

Being from Ca. also I will have to side with the San Diego folks, we live just north of San Diego proper and a night out to dinner is everything from shorts and "T's" to jeans and "T's"/collared shirts, depends on the time of year. We don't do "Formal" nights because we feel it's a waste of time and money, don't get me wrong I do own a tux and will wear it to a formal wedding, on a cruise it's totally informal, vacation is vacation plain and simple and no one will dictate what I wear, plain and simple.

We have travelled enough over the years and now can spot the folks from different areas of the US, just by the way they wear their shorts/shirts and footwear, combinations worn by the women and their footwear, attitudes, accents/lingo, and how up tight or how relaxed they present themselves. Just saying. FYI, I'm in my early 60's

Yes, sadly, that's changed. Time was ocean cruising was a more formal event. Now it's not.

Who is Floridaguy?

He's one of the posters who goes in for casual. We don't always agree on much, but we're usually pretty polite about it. I have to give him credit on the "What to pack" section. It does contradict the usual dress code. Not saying I agree with it, but it's there. He likes his Guayabera shirt. It takes the right person to pull it off. I presume it looks good on him. If he has a Panama straw hat to go with it, I'd say it would look pretty cool.

Hi,

First time Princess cruiser here. We are happy to dress appropriately and DH will wear collared shirts etc. Since retirement he has been collecting racing memorabilia and has t-shirts showing Kentucky Derby races that he loves.

Will he be allowed to wear them into the MDR on NON formal nights?

We live in San Diego where it is very informal and folks dress down even at nice white table cloth restaurants. He will be OK if he can only wear them during the day so just asking so we know what to pack. I know what is written on the Princess web site but I also know that actual practice is sometimes different than the written dress code.

I am on a Mexican Riviera cruise right now with plenty of Californians aboard (I am not). I have seen shorts, hats and tshirts worn in the MDR on non-formal nights without a problem. On formal nights I have seen jeans and sport shirts worn again without a problem. The only ones I have seen turned away was at the HC and they were wearing swimwear. It appears that Princess is not enforcing dress codes in the MDR on west coast cruises.

I did see one man wearing a tux during formal night at the TD early dining in Botticelli MDR and no one made fun of his appearance or even paid attention! Seriously I saw less than 5 men on the ship on formal nights in a tux. I guess in California men in tux are out. Personally I was quite comfortable in my guyabara shirt and docker pants.

No matter what they print in the Patter, T shirts have always been acceptable to wear at breakfast, lunch & dinner no matter what some of the posters claim.

I've been doing so for many years & have even given up on the wearing the Polo shirt at dinner with a pair of jeans. ( on casual evenings)

They're so much more comfortable & no one cares either way if they have a collar or not.

He's one of the posters who goes in for casual. We don't always agree on much, but we're usually pretty polite about it. I have to give him credit on the "What to pack" section. It does contradict the usual dress code. Not saying I agree with it, but it's there. He likes his Guayabera shirt. It takes the right person to pull it off. I presume it looks good on him. If he has a Panama straw hat to go with it, I'd say it would look pretty cool.

floridalover has an agenda too try to influence Princess to lower their dress standards to what he thinks it should be by posting on CC - he is one voice among thousands and has a few followers. He is very adamant that Princess does not have a formal dress code but fails to read the entire section. I agree that some ships allow dressing down and I have been assured by the president that they will be addressing this. In the meantime I have him on my ignore list so I don't have to read his nonsense.

There is nothing wrong with a guayabera shirt. The decoration , for lack of a better word, of the front of the shirt can take different guayabera shirts from day wear to the more intricate pintucking and embroidery of an evening shirt.

My husband used to own several of the shirts and years ago, when cruising was a more formal affair and dress was strictly enforced at the dining room door, the dressier guayabera was appropriate on what was then termed semi-formal nights in the MDR on a Caribbean cruise.

An "open-neck shirt" by long convention means or implies a shirt with a collar that is un-buttoned at the top. It would need to say "open-neck T/tee/t-shirt" to mean something without a collar. That is not to say you can be admitted with a nice henley style. A "polo" shirt is also a collared shirt by convention.

Not that I disagree with you, but that is certainly your opinion and your interpretation of the rules. What you posted are definitely not the rules.

floridalover has an agenda too try to influence Princess to lower their dress standards to what he thinks it should be by posting on CC - he is one voice among thousands and has a few followers. He is very adamant that Princess does not have a formal dress code but fails to read the entire section. I agree that some ships allow dressing down and I have been assured by the president that they will be addressing this. In the meantime I have him on my ignore list so I don't have to read his nonsense.

That must be that mysterious letter that no one else has ever seen and there have been no changes in enforcement since it was first mentioned.

Suffice to say there is also a small number of CC posters (to be clear, I don't think you are one) who expect every male passenger to show up in either a tux or a dark (only) suit and tie (period) to DR on formal nights. Most folks make their own choices and don't try and impose their will on others and those choices do include spiffing up the dress on formal nights, even if not 100% literally matching the suggestions.

I don't honestly see how the genie goes back in the bottle at this point and Jan Swartz "addressing" the clothing situation could mean any number of things from re-wording parts, changing policy to make it less restrictive - who knows? Or perhaps just making sure their specifically excluded items at any time are enforced.

With virtually all cruise lines having dress less formal than years ago, it seems hard to believe that Princess would reverse course now and go against the tide and trends. For now, I imagine with Ocean Medallion going live, new all-inclusive drink policies, and new beds being installed throughout the fleet, Swartz won't be looking for a lot of other significant changes anytime soon.

Not that I disagree with you, but that is certainly your opinion and your interpretation of the rules. What you posted are definitely not the rules.

Another troll to add to my ignore list. Why are so many CC ers trying to push a downdress agenda for a classy cruiseline like Princess - if you want to dress like a street person go with Carnival. Not sure they will let you bring your shopping cart

I was not interpreting Princess rules (which they aren't technically except in one specific sentence concerning items not allowed). I was simply making a point about what an "open-necked shirt" is by definition conventionally in clothing lexicon. I messed up on a word in a sentence I think, because I didn't intend to suggest an open-necked t-shirt, or henley style as a poster mentioned would not be accepted.

Another troll to add to my ignore list. Why are so many CC ers trying to push a downdress agenda for a classy cruiseline like Princess - if you want to dress like a street person go with Carnival. Not sure they will let you bring your shopping cart

This is what we don't need on CC - "trolls" and "street person" and "shopping cart" references.

The way you're carrying on you will have to ignore yourself,there will be nobody else left,lol.

Hi,

First time Princess cruiser here. We are happy to dress appropriately and DH will wear collared shirts etc. Since retirement he has been collecting racing memorabilia and has t-shirts showing Kentucky Derby races that he loves.

Will he be allowed to wear them into the MDR on NON formal nights?

We live in San Diego where it is very informal and folks dress down even at nice white table cloth restaurants. He will be OK if he can only wear them during the day so just asking so we know what to pack. I know what is written on the Princess web site but I also know that actual practice is sometimes different than the written dress code.

Walk into a "white tablecloth restaurant" like Mille Fleurs or Addison in San Diego wearing a printed tee shirt and notice how quickly you will NOT be seated.

Perhaps hubby could expand his shirt collection to include some classic Reyn Spooner Aloha shirts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is nothing wrong with a guayabera shirt. The decoration , for lack of a better word, of the front of the shirt can take different guayabera shirts from day wear to the more intricate pintucking and embroidery of an evening shirt.

My husband used to own several of the shirts and years ago, when cruising was a more formal affair and dress was strictly enforced at the dining room door, the dressier guayabera was appropriate on what was then termed semi-formal nights in the MDR on a Caribbean cruise.

If your husband no longer wears a Guayabera shirt on a cruise, what does he wear now to be seated in the MDR? Does he as well, wear it for Formal Night instead of a suit ot tuxedo?

I think saw President Obama wearing a long sleeved Guayabera shirt at an official state meeting or dinner with Phillipine President Duarte a few years ago.

I’m afraid you can’t turn back time to the good old days of tthe Titanic or the 20’s-30’s. Times have changed. IMHO, the demographics of cruisers has changed. To younger PAX’s. The older cruisers are dying off. And cruise lines are adapting to todays casual lifestyle and dress.

FWIW, we’re sailing on Oceania next year. And, from what I’ve read, Oceania is a luxury cruise line, and classier than Princess. They have no Formal Night dress code. They have no Formal Nights. It’s Country Club Casual dress code. No suits, tuxedos, or long gowns required,

Good luck. And enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947