Best Snorkeling Beach

IHEARTSUP14

I am traveling to St. Lucia in April and was wondering if anyone could recommend the best beach and snorkeling spot. We are looking for someplace to sit on the beach, do some decent snorkeling and enjoy the island.

If you could please let me know that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I am traveling to St. Lucia in April and was wondering if anyone could recommend the best beach and snorkeling spot. We are looking for someplace to sit on the beach, do some decent snorkeling and enjoy the island.

Thanks!

Following this! I’m looking for the same. Don’t want to jump off a boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

During Cosol tour we went to Jalousie beach, now Sugar beach. It is situated between Pitons and offers really nice snorkeling, but it is not close.

I am also looking for something closer.

The best snorkeling is in the southwest region of the island - which is a good ways from the port, minimum one hour, and realistically more like 1.15 hours..

Anse Chastenet beach, Soufriere beach, Jalousie beach all have excellent reefs.

Mystic Man and Spencer Ambrose both have great snorkeling trips, but yes - off the boat snorkeling!

You'd need a land or sea transfer to the beach down south. All three have chairs for rent, some shade, and restaurant on the beach.. Soufriere beachfront will be the cheapest, by far. Spencer also has a "besch break" tour to Jalousie besch, speed boar transfer r/t, lunch, drinks cool and around 4-5 hours on the beach. You could try that one as a great option.. Other island tours include around an hour at rhe beach, like Cosol or Herod's, etc.

Nearer to port is Pigeon Island, about the only decent option up north. Much smaller reef system, but still good.. There's two restaurants/bars inside Pigeon Island National Park with very good food and drinks, chairs for rent ie just enjoy the natural shade and park setting. There's also some ruins to explore and hijing if you're interested. About 30-45 minutes from port, leave plenty of time for return trip - only one road! $8 entrance fee. Serenity TVL offers a "beach break" tour there includes r/t transfer, chair, drinks cooler, etc.. Or just DIY..

Thanks!

I have only done Spencer Ambroise's Land, sea and beach adventure. He offers just the beach part if you prefer. It takes you to Sugar (Jalousie) beach between the Pitons. Stunningly beautiful and some of the very best snorkeling we have seen, right off the beach. If I remember correctly, there is a marine preserve there. It was amazing, taking the kids in March on the same tour. The Land portions take you to the mud baths as well as a waterfall you can get under. Cannot wait!

Thanks!

Since two of Spencer Ambrose's tours were mentioned (Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break; Land, Sea, Beach Adventure), I can say that we have done both and really enjoyed both. With the Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break, after you meet and they get their separate tours organized/everyone accounted for, you will be taken by boat to Jalousie Beach. I think we were on our way between 8:30 and 9am. There were either 2 or three stops at points of interest, one being for photo opportunities to get pictures of St. Lucia's pitons from the water. Jalousie Beach is the beach between the Pitons and the beach is gorgeous. We had between 4 and 5 hours and that allowed plenty of time to snorkel, walk the beach for pictures, the buffet Creole lunch served on the beach, and also time for relaxing and swimming. The lunch (VERY good) and unlimited beverages (bottled water, coke, diet coke, Piton beer, and rum punch) are included in the price. What we really enjoyed about this tour was the time at the beach which allowed for a nice and relaxing beach day without ever feeling "rushed" to keep on a schedule. We also think the snorkeling we've seen in the snorkeling section at Jalousie Beach was some of the best we've seen. We've mainly snorkeled in the Caribbean (southern and eastern islands), so I can't say it is THE best, but it's the best we've seen. There was a variety of fish and a lot of very colorful coral. On the return trip to our ship Spencer gave us the "sea tour", with more stops at points of interests and plenty of great photo opportunities. We did this on Carnival Valor in May 2013.

On our next visit to St. Lucia, we opted for Spencer's "Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure" since we wanted to see more of the interior of St. Lucia. What we really liked is that you will be taken, by boat, directly to Soufriere and then transfer into air conditioned vans to see the land hi-lights, which are all mostly around Soufriere. After that part of the tour, you board the speedboat and then will be taken directly to Jalousie/Sugar Beach for about 2 - 2.5 hours. Lunch is also served, but where lunch is may depend on the size of the tours he has on each particular day. We've had the buffet lunch at the beach both times, but sometimes on the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure, lunch is served while on the land portion of the tour. Transportation back to the ship will also include the "sea tour", with the stops at points of interest and plenty of photo opportunities. We really enjoyed BOTH tours with Spencer. He also has some family members who work for him, but they have ALL been very nice and a lot of fun. Never an issue getting back to the ship on time and we've had plenty of time before we had to be back on board to spend time in the cruise center shopping area. We did the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure on our Carnival Liberty cruise in September 2015. I did reviews for both, which are in my siggy. I don't know if the pictures will still appear or not since I did not renew my Photobucket membership (for 3rd party photo hosting you have to pay for their highest plan, which is almost $400 a year).

Hope this helps and if you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer those for you.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 4 weeks later...
Since two of Spencer Ambrose's tours were mentioned (Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break; Land, Sea, Beach Adventure), I can say that we have done both and really enjoyed both. With the Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break, after you meet and they get their separate tours organized/everyone accounted for, you will be taken by boat to Jalousie Beach. I think we were on our way between 8:30 and 9am. There were either 2 or three stops at points of interest, one being for photo opportunities to get pictures of St. Lucia's pitons from the water. Jalousie Beach is the beach between the Pitons and the beach is gorgeous. We had between 4 and 5 hours and that allowed plenty of time to snorkel, walk the beach for pictures, the buffet Creole lunch served on the beach, and also time for relaxing and swimming. The lunch (VERY good) and unlimited beverages (bottled water, coke, diet coke, Piton beer, and rum punch) are included in the price. What we really enjoyed about this tour was the time at the beach which allowed for a nice and relaxing beach day without ever feeling "rushed" to keep on a schedule. We also think the snorkeling we've seen in the snorkeling section at Jalousie Beach was some of the best we've seen. We've mainly snorkeled in the Caribbean (southern and eastern islands), so I can't say it is THE best, but it's the best we've seen. There was a variety of fish and a lot of very colorful coral. On the return trip to our ship Spencer gave us the "sea tour", with more stops at points of interests and plenty of great photo opportunities. We did this on Carnival Valor in May 2013.

On our next visit to St. Lucia, we opted for Spencer's "Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure" since we wanted to see more of the interior of St. Lucia. What we really liked is that you will be taken, by boat, directly to Soufriere and then transfer into air conditioned vans to see the land hi-lights, which are all mostly around Soufriere. After that part of the tour, you board the speedboat and then will be taken directly to Jalousie/Sugar Beach for about 2 - 2.5 hours. Lunch is also served, but where lunch is may depend on the size of the tours he has on each particular day. We've had the buffet lunch at the beach both times, but sometimes on the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure, lunch is served while on the land portion of the tour. Transportation back to the ship will also include the "sea tour", with the stops at points of interest and plenty of photo opportunities. We really enjoyed BOTH tours with Spencer. He also has some family members who work for him, but they have ALL been very nice and a lot of fun. Never an issue getting back to the ship on time and we've had plenty of time before we had to be back on board to spend time in the cruise center shopping area. We did the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure on our Carnival Liberty cruise in September 2015. I did reviews for both, which are in my siggy. I don't know if the pictures will still appear or not since I did not renew my Photobucket membership (for 3rd party photo hosting you have to pay for their highest plan, which is almost $400 a year).

Hope this helps and if you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer those for you.

Thank you for the detailed description of both tours.

The best snorkeling is in the southwest region of the island - which is a good ways from the port, minimum one hour, and realistically more like 1.15 hours..

Anse Chastenet beach, Soufriere beach, Jalousie beach all have excellent reefs.

Mystic Man and Spencer Ambrose both have great snorkeling trips, but yes - off the boat snorkeling!

You'd need a land or sea transfer to the beach down south. All three have chairs for rent, some shade, and restaurant on the beach.. Soufriere beachfront will be the cheapest, by far. Spencer also has a "besch break" tour to Jalousie besch, speed boar transfer r/t, lunch, drinks cool and around 4-5 hours on the beach. You could try that one as a great option.. Other island tours include around an hour at rhe beach, like Cosol or Herod's, etc.

Nearer to port is Pigeon Island, about the only decent option up north. Much smaller reef system, but still good.. There's two restaurants/bars inside Pigeon Island National Park with very good food and drinks, chairs for rent ie just enjoy the natural shade and park setting. There's also some ruins to explore and hijing if you're interested. About 30-45 minutes from port, leave plenty of time for return trip - only one road! $8 entrance fee. Serenity TVL offers a "beach break" tour there includes r/t transfer, chair, drinks cooler, etc.. Or just DIY..

Reed Princess - Thank you so much for this post and the recommendation of Serenity TVL. I just looked it up and hope they have two seats available for the day I am there in April. We have been to St Lucia many times and I want to try something new. Thanks!

Sorry to hijack this thread for a moment (although not much since I also did the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure tour with Spencer) but I also had this problem with Photobucket with my reviews. Since the Fascination has renewed its sailings to the Caribbean (including St. Lucia) I was thinking of copy/pasting my review so that I am able to re-post the pictures for everyone's benefit and enjoyment. Shouldn't be that difficult since I have them on already on another web-hosting site (Smumug) and I have them already organized.

On-topic: Having been to all the islands that Carnival's Southern Caribbean route stops at (St. Thomas, ST. Martin, St Lucia, ST Kitts and Barbados) my opinion is that the best snorkeling on that group of islands was at St. Lucia's Jalouise (Sugar) Beach. Lots of sea creatures and flora to see, calm crystalline waters, and safety (snorkeling area is roped off and off limits to ANY kind of watercraft). Even having snorkeled in a lot of places in Puerto Rico, I have struggled to find a place to rival Jalouise Beach.

Sorry to hijack this thread for a moment (although not much since I also did the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure tour with Spencer) but I also had this problem with Photobucket with my reviews. Since the Fascination has renewed its sailings to the Caribbean (including St. Lucia) I was thinking of copy/pasting my review so that I am able to re-post the pictures for everyone's benefit and enjoyment. Shouldn't be that difficult since I have them on already on another web-hosting site (Smumug) and I have them already organized.

On-topic: Having been to all the islands that Carnival's Southern Caribbean route stops at (St. Thomas, ST. Martin, St Lucia, ST Kitts and Barbados) my opinion is that the best snorkeling on that group of islands was at St. Lucia's Jalouise (Sugar) Beach. Lots of sea creatures and flora to see, calm crystalline waters, and safety (snorkeling area is roped off and off limits to ANY kind of watercraft). Even having snorkeled in a lot of places in Puerto Rico, I have struggled to find a place to rival Jalouise Beach.

I'm going to high jack your high jack lol. Any suggestions for places in PR to snorkel are welcome. I love PR and am hoping to go for my birthday this year and would love to find a couple of decent snorkeling spots there

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm also hi-jacking, BUT since it is related to the topic being discussed this will hopefully be OK. Since we both did reviews that include pictures of our tours with Spencer (Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break; Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure) using Photobucket as a the host site for those pictures, then having our pictures "disappear" because we didn't renew membership for the $400...there is a "fix". Stinger-pr...for some reason the link to your Fascination review isn't coming up (could be temporary glitch of our computer), but your other two are. Guess what? I can see your pictures. Last time I checked, I was still able to see mine too. There was a discussion on another CC board about this and someone posted information on a way to see the pictures that had been "locked"/blocked. Attaching link to that thread (under Photo and Camera Discussions). The solution is on Page 4, Post #76 (link hopefully opening to page 4). ;)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53948442#post53948442

This may be helpful to anyone else interested in seeing pictures taken while on Spencer's tours. I've read Stinger-pr's reviews, all of them, and he's got some great pictures. I also have pictures in my reviews as well. If anyone can see them, by chance, or get's the "fix", I'll be happy to let you know which pages/posts my pictures of Spencer's tours start on. WARNING: the pictures do not do the beauty of Jalousie Beach or St. Lucia justice. It's just breathtaking. My DH got a lot of video, which really shows the scenery much better than a still picture. I'm sure there are also some videos on a popular site that begins with a "Y". ;)

I'm going to high jack your high jack lol. Any suggestions for places in PR to snorkel are welcome. I love PR and am hoping to go for my birthday this year and would love to find a couple of decent snorkeling spots there

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If by PR you mean, Puerto Rico, I'd highly suggest you post to their Port of Call forum. You'll get info from frequent visitors, locals, etc..