What to do in Roatan

CaFireCaptain

Any professional company with good reviews will get you back to the ship on time.

You are missing the point of booking with CCL, doesnt matter how "professional" a company is. If something happens (anything can happen on the road coming back) and the tour is running late getting back to port, CCL is under no obligation to wait.

It is as simple as that and if people dont care about that or they trust NOTHING will ever happen then by all means they have the CHOICE to book whomever. We have been on many CCL ships over the years that have left port late beacuse they were waiting on a late CCL tour, it happens.

Any professional company with good reviews will get you back to the ship on time.

You are missing the point of booking with CCL, doesnt matter how "professional" a company is. If something happens (anything can happen on the road coming back) and the tour is running late getting back to port, CCL is under no obligation to wait.

It is as simple as that and if people dont care about that or they trust NOTHING will ever happen then by all means they have the CHOICE to book whomever. We have been on many CCL ships over the years that have left port late beacuse they were waiting on a late CCL tour, it happens.

True but when I take outside tours I make sure we will be back in plenty of time. And I also allow for “what if’s” when calculating. If you do strictly Carnival excursions you are missing out on a LOT! I have done both and he only time I will book a Carnival excursion is when I have no choice like HMC. The Cabanas/Villas are theirs.

I've spent 2 weeks on land vacations in Roatan and visited the port maybe 20 x on cruise ship stops. First cruise back in 2003 ported at Roatan in Coxen's Hole way before Mahogany Bay was built by Carnival.

IMO, Tabayana Beach (on west bay beach) is #1 for local feel, great beach, calm water, and excellent snorkeling from shore with or without a guide. Little French Key is second, closer to the Carnival port with a great snorkeling guided tour and Maya Key is third, wonderful little islet, good snorkeling off the end of the pier.

Haven't tried Big French Key yet, that's the Carnival site they built opposite Little French Key. Way down, down at the very bottom of my list is the man made limestone slimy beach Carnival built to corral its guests within sight of the ship -sterile, crowded, and unappealing cloudy water.

We had planned to do a tour of the island with Victor Bodden tours but when we won the excursion we decided free was better than even Victor's reasonable fee. We plan to go back and do that tour with him though (check out the Roatan board here - he gets great reviews) because my wife really wants to see the cameo factory. Victor Bodden tour basically gets you a private driver that knows the island and takes you anywhere you want to go but they can arrange all kinds of experiences depending what you want to do. Eating, shopping, sight-seeing, drinking - they know all the cool spots.

I 2nd this vote for Viktor Bodden Tours. Professional operation and very reasonable prices. Another couple went with us who normally don't book tours unless through the ship and they had a blast with us on the tour.

We have booked Tabayana through Carnival as well as done Booden and Island Marketing. I would HIGHLY recommend using Booden or IM to plan a day. Tabayana has become very crowded with the ship excursions and the locals selling there wares. The private vendors can tailor the day to you and add or subtract things to do as you wish. This is a beautiful island not to be missed. They can take you to the beaches just next to Tabayana - there are tons of little restaurants and clubs that will have you for the day and these vendors know who is good for a relaxing day.

Scare tactics. You are missing out on one of the best places in the Western Caribbean. All the other places you have ever been to has never had crime including the US?

Excuse me? I have been there multiple times. Honduras is the murder capital of the entire world. Google it. This crew member was shot right by the port gate and there was an instant cover up. NCL stopped going there but as usual have gone back. I choose not to. My cruise vacation, my choice.......you have fun with yours.

Excuse me? I have been there multiple times. Honduras is the murder capital of the entire world. Google it. This crew member was shot right by the port gate and there was an instant cover up. NCL stopped going there but as usual have gone back. I choose not to. My cruise vacation, my choice.......you have fun with yours.

LOL!!! Honduras might be but not the Island of Roatan. Just like Mexico is inherently dangerous on the mainland, Cozumel is not.

Too bad you are missing out on a beautiful place. I absolutely will enjoy my vacation including my trips to Little French Key. And you know what? If it’s my time, then it’s my time. I can’t think of a much more beautiful place to be. At least I’ll make the news!!

LOL!!! Honduras might be but not the Island of Roatan. Just like Mexico is inherently dangerous on the mainland, Cozumel is not.

Too bad you are missing out on a beautiful place. I absolutely will enjoy my vacation including my trips to Little French Key. And you know what? If it’s my time, then it’s my time. I can’t think of a much more beautiful place to be. At least I’ll make the news!!

Well said. Roatan is an island not to be missed. There are SO MANY gorgeous beaches. People there are wonderful. I've taken private tours alone with my son. I've never felt unsafe. If Roatan wasn't on the west Carib itinerary, I would consider another.

I agree with the suggestion for Victor Bodden tours. We were in Trujillo Honduras 3 years ago and did a tour with him there and it was our favorite of the cruise and only around $35 each. Looks like he has several options for Roatan around that price point.

Roatan Honduras and mainland Honduras are two different worlds. The incident referred to was in 2014, nearly 4 years ago, heard of another since then? Like I said before, it can happen anywhere in the world. But, you're right, it's your cruise and if you choose to stay behind the gate, so be it.

The past two times we've been in Roatan (last time was Aug 2017) we have gone to the Infinity Beach Resort.They have day passes. Not all inclusive but they have a few bars and food available in the pool/ beach area.

Very nice beach and beautiful pool.

A short cab ride from the terminal.

You can call the Infinity Bay Resort for their day pass rates.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Thanks to all of you for the info, We did a snorkel trip 2 years ago there and are just looking for something more laid back this trip. As far as safety, the boy was there last year on the mainland delivering shoes to needy kids for a week and he came home in one piece.

it was on the first sea-day - we went to that newbie cruiser show in the big auditorium and they had a lot of drawings for things. We were shocked as we generally never win anything lol.

I just looked - it was Maya Key - the buffet lunch was included and we got to go in the cage with the monkeys and get pictures with them and we mostly just laid in beach chairs in the shade and watched the ocean lol.

20160727_090423.jpg

20160727_090423.jpg

Seems like you had good weather. I did this excursion and it was pretty windy, and not very warm out, so we weren't able to lay out on the beach. I also disliked how early the excursion started. There was no reason to be on that beach at 9am ship time.

The island is cool, but when the weather isn't great, it gets boring very fast.

Seems like you had good weather. I did this excursion and it was pretty windy, and not very warm out, so we weren't able to lay out on the beach. I also disliked how early the excursion started. There was no reason to be on that beach at 9am ship time.

The island is cool, but when the weather isn't great, it gets boring very fast.

We were there in July so it was plenty hot. I didn't like how early any of the excursions were on any day on that cruise lol. I don't get up for work before 9:00 am and it was crazy hard to get up at 6ish for Carnival excursions...but I couldn't beat the price!

The past two times we've been in Roatan (last time was Aug 2017) we have gone to the Infinity Beach Resort.They have day passes. Not all inclusive but they have a few bars and food available in the pool/ beach area.

Very nice beach and beautiful pool.

A short cab ride from the terminal.

You can call the Infinity Bay Resort for their day pass rates.

Hope this helps.

Thank you' date='[/quote']

Do you happen to remember how much the day passes were?

We booked on our own the Monkey snorkel tour through Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout. Find him on Facebook. Sounds like he has some great tours and reasonably priced.
The sanctuary where the animals are is great, holding that sloth was one of the most unique things I have done on 31 cruises. Enjoy.

We had planned to do a tour of the island with Victor Bodden tours but when we won the excursion we decided free was better than even Victor's reasonable fee. We plan to go back and do that tour with him though (check out the Roatan board here - he gets great reviews) because my wife really wants to see the cameo factory. Victor Bodden tour basically gets you a private driver that knows the island and takes you anywhere you want to go but they can arrange all kinds of experiences depending what you want to do. Eating, shopping, sight-seeing, drinking - they know all the cool spots.

We have used Victor Bodden tours. They are reliable and knowledgeable. We had their car and driver who went where ever we wanted.

One thing to consider, if you book a private excursion in Roatan, you need to make your own way to the Mahogany Bay entrance to be picked up. Only ship's excursion vendors and taxis are allowed past the gate.

And if you plan to do that, watch one of the numerous youtube videos about how to do that. I'll post my favorite here: