Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

It also days the 2 families are the Nanfaro family and the Zakhour family and that George Barkho was just a friend of the family. It also say that George Barkho was the only member of the Barkho family on board

David Barkho says family MEMBERS meaning his family. Why does he use the plural? Just because their last name isn’t Barkho doesn’t mean they aren’t members of that family. For that matter the whole group could be cousins or in-laws and only one named Barkho. I don’t know. But nothing in the article says for certain either way.

David Barkho says family MEMBERS meaning his family. Why does he use the plural? Just because their last name isn’t Barkho doesn’t mean they aren’t members of that family. For that matter the whole group could be cousins or in-laws and only one named Barkho. I don’t know. But nothing in the article says for certain either way.

Lots of CYA in that article. "This is not to imply that........" "This does not mean that............." They write like they've been sued more than once or twice. LOL.

Continue reading to post 665 and you will see a comment from a LEO , that indicates that maybe just maybe Carnival Security wasn't so wrong.

Did we even read the same post? You may have missed this part.

" I saw some of the video. They were kicking offenders attacking others as far as I could tell. If not I hope they get some type of punishment as well. Very poor untrained kicks that looked like children. But kicking can be effective and allowed in court.

Really bad situation all around. Seems to be some very poor training and guys got frustrated with some very active trouble makers."

I just stepped off the Carnival Legend today in Melbourne, Feb 21 to Hobart. This trip from Melbourne to Hobart was the first to happen after the incident. I got a tad glazed the last few nights courtesy of the Red Frog Fishbowls, I had two Rum Fishbowls last night and very.. happy. I did not see any impropriety from bar staff or security. I got abducted from the Red Frog Pub in the nicest way ever. Great times and highly recommended.

2. The security team did nothing wrong. If you physically assault another passenger or crew member then you ought to have the ever loving crap beat out of you. (repeatedly) These clowns should have got more than they did. Unfortunately we have a free press that is hell bent on criticizing and demonizing law enforcement and authority at the present time while they heap praise on criminals. I haven't heard of anyone being hospitalized as a result of the actions taken by the security team so apparently they didn't brutalize them enough. Also, if a crew member instructs you not to do something then you don't do it. It you don't stand around and have a debate with them in the middle of the incident. A passenger aboard a cruise ship you don't have a "right" to film when you are told not to. If you don't like that, don't go on a privately owned cruise ship.

See the guy in the orange shorts in this video:

He should have been beaten beyond recognition.Anyone who would assault a crew member like this has absolutely no respect for authority and is lucky he is still in one piece.

:)

For starters: anyone crying about the security guard kicking the guy that won’t let go of the other guy

The guy in the presumed headlock is the very same guy who pushed the Carnival staff member in your posted video. He is even wearing the same orange pair of swim trunks/shorts that you pointed out in #2.

If you watch the extended nightclub fight, you can see him going at security again on the left side of the screen. How he is taken down is blocked by the staff member trying to intercept the phone. I also don’t see any kicks landing on the guy with the blue shirt holding him down. I could be wrong, but it seems the guy in the orange swim trunks is receiving the kicks and the slaps at the nightclub fight.

Continue reading to post 665 and you will see a comment from a LEO , that indicates that maybe just maybe Carnival Security wasn't so wrong.

I read it, did you?

I saw some of the video. They were kicking offenders attacking others as far as I could tell. If not I hope they get some type of punishment as well. Very poor untrained kicks that looked like children. But kicking can be effective and allowed in court.

Really bad situation all around. Seems to be some very poor training and guys got frustrated with some very active trouble makers

This person comments on how HE is trained but then indicates that it doesn't look like these individual were trained. And that's part of my concern with this incident; the employees don't look like they are adequately trained to handle situations like this and that video DOES make them look like children. The comment about court is moot as we don't know what is allowed at sea and no charges against crew members have been brought.

Did we even read the same post? You may have missed this part.

"I saw some of the video. They were kicking offenders attacking others as far as I could tell. If not I hope they get some type of punishment as well. Very poor untrained kicks that looked like children. But kicking can be effective and allowed in court.

Really bad situation all around. Seems to be some very poor training and guys got frustrated with some very active trouble makers."

Thanks. I just posted a similar response. I think people are running out of things to say, so its time to start attacking other posters in order to keep this thread alive. Such is the fate of an public internet forum I guess.

Thanks. I just posted a similar response. I think people are running out of things to say, so its time to start attacking other posters in order to keep this thread alive. Such is the fate of an public internet forum I guess.

The problem is, imo , People think they know how they should of handled it, when in reality they have NO clue. They just want to put blame on the security instead of the people who caused all this. I hope in the end, Carnival prevails and shuts up all these nay-sayers.

I had been planning to give Carnival a try in the next couple of months. Now, I'm not 100% sure I want to, but I do want to be on board to judge for myself and not take the opinions of others as fact.

We’ve done mostly Carnival cruises and I’ve never seen anything even close to this. I’d call it an aberration. I’ve seen drunks, sure, but mostly they were just having a good time - not mean, vicious or belligerent.

We rarely do the short cruises - sticking with 7 & 8 day cruises out of NY or Baltimore and have always had a great time. They are quick, easy to book - some lines are making it complicated with all the packages to choose from in addition to ship and itinerary - and cheap.

I’d be concerned more about the health inspections they have failed recently, and I’d maybe wait a bit to see if they get back in line with that. As others have said. There’s not a lot of difference between the mainstream cruise lines.

We are moving away from mainstream cruises for a number of reasons, but I’d still sail on the Pride out of Baltimore if we were just looking for a quick, cheap getaway. Not sure what ship they are putting in NY. I’ve heard it might be the Triumph.

In the meantime, our next cruises are on Viking - which is a world apart from the mainstream lines.

Give Carnival a try if you are happy with mainstream - just stay away from the 3-4 day booze cruises [emoji6] - which this was not. Some posters have implied that it was. It was a 10 day cruise. Maybe don’t cruise from Australia [emoji12].

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With all of the discussion about this incident I am curious why it took 5 days and a brawl to remove these thugs? Many passengers apparently were afraid to routinely leave their cabins for fear of confrontation and/or injury. How is it possible that they allowed these troublemakers free roam of the ship to ply their trade? This is what is very confusing to me. Is it that we are living in a horrendously politically correct world where people in charge are afraid to offend certain types of people for fear of retribution either socially or politically? I'm quite sure that many of the passengers brought this problem to the staff. Who, on the ship, makes the ultimate decision on how to handle miscreants? I do not blame Carnival security people in how they tried to break up this brawl. Just look at the police in any riot. Not much better at controlling things. I do blame Carnival for not dealing with these thugs from the get go when they arrived on the ship. Or at least at the first sign of trouble. You cannot allow passengers, many of whom are elderly and with medical conditions, to be forced into their cabins for 5 days in order to escape a loony tunes atmosphere. Carnival or any cruise company that allows this should be ashamed.

I’ve been wondering the same thing myself. Some have said, we shouldn’t blame the Captain, but he is in charge of the the vessel. The buck stops at his desk - unless he kicked (no pun intended) it up to headquarters and they made some bad decisions. I don’t think we, the cruising public will ever find this out.

I can’t help wondering how many other passengers sought to use the Carnival guarantee if this had, indeed, been going on from day one. I think they certainly would be justified in doing so. No one should have to spend their vacation in fear and trepidation from a bunch of thugs that management can’t or won’t contain.

Yes they started it, and yes they are to blame, but there is also culpability on the captain and crew who were ill-equipped mentally and/or physically to manage what was turning into somewhat of a crisis situation at sea.

I agree.

There are 2 separate issues here. The first is the group of thugs - and there is no other word for them. Someone said “ferals,” but I consider that an insult to some very nice feral cats I’ve known [emoji12]. This was a group of bullies - mean and nasty from what I have seen and heard - hell bent on getting what they wanted, and shoving everyone else out of the way. Fortunately for the rest of us, this type of person doesn’t usually take a cruise - at least not in large groups.

The second issue is why did those in charge of security for the ship - and that includes the Captain - do something sooner. This should not have been allowed to continue for longer than a day. I agree with those who say that Carnival owes the rest of the passengers on this ship more than a 25% discount on a future cruise.

This wasn’t apparently just a minor inconvenience like missing a port or a non-functional water slide. Perhaps not all the other guests were affected by this group - only those aboard could confirm that - but if you look at just the fight by the pool I’d have been seriously concerned about encountering these guys in any area of the ship. That’s certainly not what you pay hard earned money to be forced deal with. I’d have for sure been headed for guest services and I would expect it to be handled promptly - not 7 or 8 days later after a massive brawl. I would NOT accept being told to stay in my cabin or avoid walking the halls. That is completely absurd!

Silversea, Windstar, Nat Geo/Lindblad/Orion, Compagnie du Ponant, SeDream, and Crystal are all independently owned and operated and not part of a large conglamorate.

Seabourn, Regent, Azamara, and Oceania are part of a larger conglamorate.

More independent luxury lines than otherwise. So your word "mostly" is quite inaccurate. I've also left off a handful of even smaller luxury lines that are not owned by a conglamorate, which makes your comment even moreso inaccurate.

Viking is a private family owned business. I don’t see the Hagen family allowing this situation on one of their ships [emoji15]

After all this I would still get back on a Carnival ship tomorrow if my wife would let me. Sorry, she's a Royal fan. I have zero problems with them. Have never seen anything like this before on a ship. I know stuff like this happens in real life as I deal with it every day, but not in my experience on a ship... yet. .

When it becomes a public relation disaster, then the public does have a right to know the outcome of the investigation and why these people were allowed to remain onboard after the first signs of trouble and fighting.

I'm not sure the general public does, but it seems the stockholders would be entitled to questions answered.

Again, regardless of your insistence that you are owed an answer, you are not.

Authorities, regulatory bodies, and others MAY be but the public is not.

If Carnival corporation expects people to continue to cruise with them, they do,indeed, owe the cruising public an explanation of what they intend to do to make sure this does NOT happen again.

There is a lot of blame to go around here - from the thugs that started the whole thing to the ships officers and security who allowed it to go on for far too long.

I think, if it’s true, the Australian government needs to look into those ports that reportedly refused to help a ship with a distressful problem.

The problem is, imo , People think they know how they should of handled it, when in reality they have NO clue. They just want to put blame on the security instead of the people who caused all this. I hope in the end, Carnival prevails and shuts up all these nay-sayers.

I agree but it’s not that bad outside of this thread and some media outlets. Op was probably shaking when he got to start this thread. I say no matter how foolish they look let them have their fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It also days the 2 families are the Nanfaro family and the Zakhour family and that George Barkho was just a friend of the family. It also say that George Barkho was the only member of the Barkho family on board

So you're saying earlier reports were rushed/in error? Maybe these are?

Best to wait and see after the investigations what is real!:D

There could be a valid reason why some ports refused them. Local law enforcement and the associated governmental resources would be used dealing with this mess. Not really fair to the taxpayers in those locales to foot the bill.

Clearly Carnival your staff had never been trained to deal with situations such as this. They all look like amateurs! The people involved were idiots but your staff had stood down to their level by getting involved. There is no excuse for the kicking and punching! And people do have the right to film you have no right to confiscate anyone properties! These were onlookers and certainly didn't seem to be a treat to the staff you should have beeen more concern about breaking p the fight than people filming. I think the staff involved should be fired!!!

You stated you have zero tolerance for unruly passenger?? What a joke! These people have been causing troubles for days so a zero tolerance should have meant that they should have been immediately booted off especially when they are a danger to other passengers not at the end of the cruise! And to the idiotic 23 people what give you the right to dish out your dirty laundry and ruined everyone elses holiday??

****WE ALL WANT THOSE WHO STARTED THIS TO BE PROSECUTED!!!****

With that out of the way, watching the video does not instill confidence in me, as a cruiser, that Carnival security is ADEQUATELY prepared to handle a situation like this at sea. I do not feel MORE safe after watching this. This is NOT A BLAME GAME AGAINST CARNIVAL. This is a WANTING TO KNOW WHY THESE SECURITY FOLKS ACTED IN THE FASHION THEY DID AND WHY DID THE CAPTAIN TAKE THE POSITION HE DID.

"What do you want me to do about it, throw them overboard?"

One woman stated the Captain said this. And she gave plenty of interviews and got plenty of attention. Her 15 minutes of glory.

I haven’t seen a video recording of the Captain saying these words.

People just took her words and ran with it.

Only a fool believes everything and everyone that posts on the internet

I doubt very much these words came from the captain’s mouth. But I’m open if someone presents me with proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"What do you want me to do about it, throw them overboard?"

One woman stated the Captain said this. And she gave plenty of interviews and got plenty of attention. Her 15 minutes of glory.

I haven’t seen a video recording of the Captain saying these words.

People just took her words and ran with it.

Only a fool believes everything and everyone that posts on the internet

I doubt very much these words came from the captain’s mouth. But I’m open if someone presents me with proof.

I doubt that there would be proof. But, I'm curious. Do you doubt her because a) there is no corroborating video or b) because she got plenty of attention and her 15 minutes of glory?

It seems you've already made your judgement on this situation with your blanket statement. I'm more inclined given the reports that are out there that something like this probably was said.

All this makes me wonder if I will be safe on my 2 week Alaskan Aug '18. I would think that on a 2 week cruise, we would not get that kind of crowd. I know this cruise was 10 days, but from what I have read on CC boards a 10 day cruise is short for Aussies. I hope I do not regret not canceling.

It appears that these passengers who caused the problems were not taught how to behave in a

civilized world. They deserve jail time. They should be banned from all ships. They are Terrorists. They are lucky they did not try this in NY City.

The police would have taken care of it real quick.