Ukulele... did anyone bring there ukulele on the cruise to hawaii

gr8tfulscott

Ukulele... did anyone bring their ukulele on the cruise to Hawaii ?

i'm just learning now and i'm going on cruise in jan 2019 to Hawaii. do people bring them on board? has anyone had jam sessions?

:cool::cool:it's the happiest instrument in the world :cool::cool:

i'm just learning now and i'm going on cruise in jan 2019 to Hawaii. do people bring them on board? has anyone had jam sessions?

If you will be sailing with Princess you may be in luck. We understand they offer lessons and other things Hawaiian on certain sailings, and you may want to check that out.

On our 2016 Hawaiian cruise I took the ukulele lessons and really enjoyed them. I used one of the ship's ukuleles. A few people brought their own and some were inspired to buy one when we were in Hawaii.

For Christmas DH gifted me an ukulele which I will be bringing on our cruise this February. I will ask Tiki Dave, our instructor, about Jam sessions and report back.

If you are lucky enough to have the Hawaiian Ambassadors "Elua" on your cruise, you will definitely have ukulele classes taught by Tiki Dave. He arranges to have all the uke players and hula dancers (hula taught by his wife, Leialoha) do a show in the Princess Theater at the end of the cruise. We had a great time and to us the classes made the Hawaiian cruise really "Hawaiian".

Aloha!

• 3 weeks later...

On our Princess cruise to Hawaii last year there were several people who brought there own. Brian, the Hawaiian Ambassador led classes most sea days. He's a wizard on the uke btw. Then you get to be in the show on the last day. It's fun.

I'd say take it, you won't be alone.(y)

On our Hawaiian cruise last year they gave anyone who wanted to learn to play a ukulele one. At the end of week they gave a concert with the teacher who was part of the Hawaiian troupe we had on board. They also did hula dancing lessons and they also gave a concert . This was on Holland America

• 1 month later...

WOW! I'm on the Ruby Princess 15 day Hawaii RT from LA April 8, 2019! I was thinking about taking my ukulele with. I flew into Maui this last Sept. and loved Hawaii so much I want to go back. I wasn't sure if there would be ukulele classes. I think I will really think about taking it with me now! All the sea days will be great for the activities.

Yes, it's the happiest instrument in the world! Lynn

• 5 months later...

Haven't done Hawaii yet, but on our last 2 cruises (Panama Canal & Alaska) there were 'Uke players traveling with their 'Ukuleles...Alaska was a 'Ukulele cruise with a group of 75 players & instructors but there were also other 'Uke players who got together & jammed in the evenings

If you will be sailing with Princess you may be in luck. We understand they offer lessons and other things Hawaiian on certain sailings, and you may want to check that out.

On Celebrity Century too in March 2012.

On our Hawaiian cruise last year they gave anyone who wanted to learn to play a ukulele one. At the end of week they gave a concert with the teacher who was part of the Hawaiian troupe we had on board. They also did hula dancing lessons and they also gave a concert . This was on Holland America.

We were on a Princess 10 day Mexico and there was a group of ukulele players on the cruise. We first noticed a person with a small music case in the terminal, then we saw another and another until there was dozens of them.

They had several private events for the group during the cruise. We never heard them, except as we were leaving San Pedro. The captain was killing time since our first port was San Diego. We circled Santa Catalina Island as we left - on the balcony above us there were two ukulele strummers playing and softly singing "26 miles across the sea ..... " It was very nice :D

Aloha!

I always suggest that if people have ukulele, that they bring them on the ship with them. We usually have a lot of ukulele to loan out to our guests, but I am not sure how many we will have this season...so I definitely suggest bringing yours, as there will be no question as to getting into the class.

If you are onboard with me, (Emerald Princess) we will have class on each sea day, (starting for the complete beginners and working our way from there) and have a performance in the Princess Theater on the final sea day of the cruise, along with my wife’s hula haumana (students).

As far as jam sessions, I always mention to my classes that they are free to get together on their own time and jam with each other and shar their knowledge. Unfortunately, due to my schedule on the ship, I can’t lead a jam session myself.

I hope you’ll be with us, and participate in ukulele, hula, lei making, come to the talks and enjoy the cruise to the utmost.

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

http://Www.facebook.com/eluamusic

http://Www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone - and particularly Tiki Dave:

Does anyone know who the Hawaiian Ambassadors will be on the Holiday (Dec 23) cruise on the Grand this year?

("Jingle Bells" on the ukulele, anyone?

Kathy

Aloha,

I'm not 100% sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say it would probably be Brian and Rowena...they tend to work the Grand.

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

http://www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

• 1 year later...

We're sailing on the Grand out of San Francisco on December 28, 2019.  I'm planning to take my ukulele as others on CC have mentioned it.  I'm amazed there isn't something on the Princes web site promoting the subject and advertising opportunities for lessons or other participation.  I would be further amazed if there aren't lessons and other planned events on board a cruise to Hawaii.

9 hours ago, andylibby said:

We're sailing on the Grand out of San Francisco on December 28, 2019.  I'm planning to take my ukulele as others on CC have mentioned it.  I'm amazed there isn't something on the Princes web site promoting the subject and advertising opportunities for lessons or other participation.  I would be further amazed if there aren't lessons and other planned events on board a cruise to Hawaii.

Princess has been having Hawaiian Ambassadors onboard their cruises to Hawaii for the past several years. Dave (Tiki Dave) and Leialoha developed the program. They usually sail the HI cruises out of LA, and Brian and Rowena had been doing the ones out of SF. I am not sure of the schedules for this season.  The Hawaiian Ambassadors give (free) ukulele, hula and lei making classes. I think there are more advanced classes in Hawaiian crafts that have a fee. They will give lectures about Hawaii, and play Hawaiian music in the atrium. Leialoha will do vocals and do the hula, and will invite her hula students to come and do the hula, which is alot of fun. At the end of the cruise the hula and ukulele students get to perform in a Hawaiian show onboard. Tiki Dave is a wealth of information about playing Ukulele (and the islands),  and can recommend a great place "Uncle Uke's'" in Hilo to pick up gear. The ship has a few dozen ukes to use for classes (Dave will tune them and teach you to tune them), but almost half our class either had their own (I brought mine) or bought one in Hilo.  I think there may be uke jam sessions for the advanced folks (I was not in that group) as well. If you don't bring your own, I recommend getting to the class 15 min early to make sure you can get one of theirs.  The classes start out with the basics and progress from there so it is hard to just "drop in".  We can't say enough good about this program!!  Before they developed this program (and possibly on other Hawaii itineraries) the cruise director's staff gave ukulele lessons. We had those, and they were fine, but it seemed like it was just another onboard activity.  (But at least you got to play!!) If you have the Hawaiian Ambassadors you " feel the Aloha" and really feel like it is a Hawaiian cruise. Not just " a cruise".  Our last Hawaiian cruise with Dave and Leialoha was in Feb 2018, we sincerely hope they are still running the program. Check earlier posts for their facebook pages. Aloha!

Edited by sparkle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 5:45 PM, sparkle said:

Princess has been having Hawaiian Ambassadors onboard their cruises to Hawaii for the past several years. Dave (Tiki Dave) and Leialoha developed the program. They usually sail the HI cruises out of LA, and Brian and Rowena had been doing the ones out of SF. I am not sure of the schedules for this season.  The Hawaiian Ambassadors give (free) ukulele, hula and lei making classes. I think there are more advanced classes in Hawaiian crafts that have a fee. They will give lectures about Hawaii, and play Hawaiian music in the atrium. Leialoha will do vocals and do the hula, and will invite her hula students to come and do the hula, which is alot of fun. At the end of the cruise the hula and ukulele students get to perform in a Hawaiian show onboard. Tiki Dave is a wealth of information about playing Ukulele (and the islands),  and can recommend a great place "Uncle Uke's'" in Hilo to pick up gear. The ship has a few dozen ukes to use for classes (Dave will tune them and teach you to tune them), but almost half our class either had their own (I brought mine) or bought one in Hilo.  I think there may be uke jam sessions for the advanced folks (I was not in that group) as well. If you don't bring your own, I recommend getting to the class 15 min early to make sure you can get one of theirs.  The classes start out with the basics and progress from there so it is hard to just "drop in".  We can't say enough good about this program!!  Before they developed this program (and possibly on other Hawaii itineraries) the cruise director's staff gave ukulele lessons. We had those, and they were fine, but it seemed like it was just another onboard activity.  (But at least you got to play!!) If you have the Hawaiian Ambassadors you " feel the Aloha" and really feel like it is a Hawaiian cruise. Not just " a cruise".  Our last Hawaiian cruise with Dave and Leialoha was in Feb 2018, we sincerely hope they are still running the program. Check earlier posts for their facebook pages. Aloha!

Aloha!

Mahalo for the kind words and enthusiasm about the Hawaiian Enrichment Program onboard. When Leialoha and I developed the program, (back in 2008) we could never have envisioned how it has taken off and how popular it has become.

For those sailing out of LA, we will be on the Star starting December 4th and stay onboard through the end of March. We will also be on the Star starting next October 2020. As far as the San Francisco sailings, I don't really know who will be on, but in all likelihood it would be Brian and Rowena. No matter who you have as your Ambassadors, you'll have a great time!

Malama Pono,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

www.facebook.com/eluamusic

www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

We agree --- We had the pleasure of sailing half a cruise with Elua in April of this year.  Dave was a terrific ukulele teacher.  DW brought her own.  She hadn't played since junior high.  She enjoyed the lessons immensely..  Unfortunately, Dave was scheduled to get off when we made it to Hawaii.  

DW has stayed with it, we just got back yesterday from a 15 day Hawaii on Celebrity.  She took her ukulele with her and worked on YouTube lessons everyday.  She is getting really good and has starting to working picking, rather than just strumming.  At home she works at it several days a week. 

They had uke lessons on Celebrity. but nothing compared to the Princess program developed by Dave.  They made the students turn in there loaner ukes after each session.  On Princess students could keep them for the length of the cruise so they could practice.    

We're excited to see Dave on the Star Princess in January. 

ps -- I don't recall lessons on Carnival, but we may have missed them     

23 hours ago, bingobunny14 said:

on the emerald leaving apr 29th to may 14..hopefully you are on our ship Tiki Dave..would love to atend the lessions..

Aloha,

Sadly, we will not be on that one. But as I always say, no matter who is there, it will be a wonderful time for you. It's Hawai'i...can it be any other way? 😉

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

www.facebook.com/eluamusic

www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

• 4 months later...