Is purchasing the internet needed on New England cruise

tcgary

We will be on the Anthem on October 4 since this cruise is going to mostly the United States and Canada. Does anyone think it is really necessary to purchase the Internet? I know there will be times you don’t have it but is a five port stop. Also do you have cell coverage, most of the time at sea since you are close to the US

We will be on the Anthem on October 4 since this cruise is going to mostly the United States and Canada. Does anyone think it is really necessary to purchase the Internet? I know there will be times you don’t have it but is a five port stop. Also do you have cell coverage, most of the time at sea since you are close to the US

Just got back from this cruise (9/5 to 9/14). Great cruise.

I typically purchase ship's Internet package but this time did not figuring could catch up on emails and voicemails when in port. Although relatively close to shore when at sea, not close enough for cell phone coverage even from deck 15 out in the open. Thinking the route might have taken us out into the gulf stream as the weather was gorgeous on the later 2 sea days.

I did run into an issue in Canada with getting data on my cell phone. Somehow the roaming data option was turned off on my phone when we left the US and could not be turned back on until back in the US. Calls and texts worked OK but no data.

George

Not going to get the internet package, because of coverage when in port! Verizon also has a daily rate for us when in Canada. Have you used the Royal IQ on this class ship before ? What issues are there with it ? We just started sailing RCL again, as we were Celebrity in the past.

I bought the internet package for my cruise this Thursday. If I put my phone into airplane mode and turn the wifi only on, I will still get iMessages? Even at sea?!

Yes, if you are on a Quantum class ship or Harmony.

I'm a bit confused by your question. Why is it ever necessary? Only each individual can answer that for themselves.

On Anthem texts get through free without any VOOM package - if you can live with just that.

I'm a bit confused by your question. Why is it ever necessary? Only each individual can answer that for themselves.

I think you know what I meant!!

What is the internet like on Grandeur? Rather dismayed to read reports of poor connectivity. Are there any changes planned for 2019? We're looking to sail in July on the New England itinerary.

No plans for changes publicly released by the cruise line.

I agree with you. We usually disconnect when we go on cruises and we’ve never gotten an internet package before, but our upcoming cruise in April on Anthem is our first one without the kids. They’re staying with my parents, and we will FaceTime or use Facebook video messenger with them each day (it’s our spring break...hubby and I are teachers and the boys are in middle school). For this, we got the internet package (surf & Stream).

My parents found that the port access was sufficient for them but ended up purchasing a 24 hour package towards the end of the cruise when they had a sea day and there was a big storm looming that they felt they needed to be prepared for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you. We usually disconnect when we go on cruises and we’ve never gotten an internet package before, but our upcoming cruise in April on Anthem is our first one without the kids. They’re staying with my parents, and we will FaceTime or use Facebook video messenger with them each day (it’s our spring break...hubby and I are teachers and the boys are in middle school). For this, we got the internet package (surf & Stream).

Exactly! How could anyone else know if a person needs internet for 5 minutes a day or for 24 hours a day?

Exactly! How could anyone else know if a person needs internet for 5 minutes a day or for 24 hours a day?

Yes! It really varies person to person. Some cannot be disconnected from their job while away and need to check email, or be in a conference call, or just be available at the drop of a hat. Some need to check in with family, like we are doing. And many more reasons.

I bought the internet package for my cruise this Thursday. If I put my phone into airplane mode and turn the wifi only on, I will still get iMessages? Even at sea?!

Since you bought the internet package, you should be able to get iMessages (airplane mode..WiFi on)....regardless of what ship you are on.