La Cucina

camper49

We have the UDP and are going to try La Cucina. I know we can order as many appetizers, sides and desserts and only one main entree. My question is does the pasta and rissotto count as a side or an entree?

Just a little tip: I had the BEST asparagus and cheese risotto one night in the MDR as an appetizer. So, if you don’t get it in La Cucina, check out the MDR menus that they have posted everyday and go to the MDR that night.

I’m so glad to see somebody else say this! I have no idea why people don’t like La Cucina. My grandmother is Sicilian, and I’m VERY picky about Italian food. I LOVE La Cucina. It’s consistently my favorite specialty restaurant, and almost always has the best service. I don’t understand the Cagney’s love at all on these boards. It’s fine, I guess. I’ve never had a terrible steak there. But for the most part, the sides are abysmal. They taste like TV dinner vegetables to me. I guess people don’t have decent quality steak houses at home??? Or even a Ruth’s Chris? I also am not a Teppanyaki fan. At all. I have much better hibachi at home. But I’ve gotten very off topic. They definitely have lasagna at La Cucina, but I totally agree that there are better options. Try the Osso Bucco. And the gnocchi!

Live in the NYC area, have great choices of non- chain steakhouses and Italian restaurants. I would take Cagney's any day over La Cucina.

...I’ve been told we’re never going back to Olive Garden :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Smart move

We have the UDP and are going to try La Cucina. I know we can order as many appetizers, sides and desserts and only one main entree. My question is does the pasta and rissotto count as a side or an entree?

I believe they count as an appetizer. I had the lasagna and then the ossobucco for the main course. They were delicious but I was extremely full.

Some of the posts in this thread remind me of the restaurant dinner I was at a couple of months ago where a woman in my party went from table to table, telling people that the food was all crap and that the food in her home was of such high quality that she hated to eat anywhere else. But it guarantees that I will try La Cucina.

speciity dining...hubby left it up to me...but...wants lasagna. Will La Cucina have it?

Yes, had it last week, I’m a total food snob and it was really good. In fact la cucina was good enough that we cancelled another specialty to eat there a second time

Also anything in the pasta section you could order as an appetizer

I guess this thread is a little old now, but I just have to add my voice as a big fan of La Cucina. I'm wondering if those who don't like it have been since the menu was revamped? There is no way on earth you could call it cafeteria food. I'm always surprised to see how little love it gets on here.

We ate there on the Escape last year and it was by far the best meal we have had in an NCL speciality. My husband still talks about their seafood pasta and said the steak is probably the best he's ever had. Possibly the stand out dish for me was a gorgeous Gnocchi in pesto sauce.

Didn't think we'd be able to manage all 4 courses but we had a lovely relaxed meal over a couple of hours and not only managed 4 courses but also the delicious loaf of bread!

We've been to Cagneys twice and enjoyed it the first time, but the second time was post-La Cucina and it just didn't feel nearly as good. Hubby didn't rate the steak nearly as high. I had a similar lamb dish in both but the one in La Cucina was a little better. I also don't massively rate Moderno or the Teppanyaki but he likes them. I will put up with Moderno for the cheese bread and pineapple *drool*. In fact just feed me that and forget the meat.

I guess this thread is a little old now, but I just have to add my voice as a big fan of La Cucina. I'm wondering if those who don't like it have been since the menu was revamped? There is no way on earth you could call it cafeteria food. I'm always surprised to see how little love it gets on here.

We ate there on the Escape last year and it was by far the best meal we have had in an NCL speciality. My husband still talks about their seafood pasta and said the steak is probably the best he's ever had. Possibly the stand out dish for me was a gorgeous Gnocchi in pesto sauce.

Didn't think we'd be able to manage all 4 courses but we had a lovely relaxed meal over a couple of hours and not only managed 4 courses but also the delicious loaf of bread!

We've been to Cagneys twice and enjoyed it the first time, but the second time was post-La Cucina and it just didn't feel nearly as good. Hubby didn't rate the steak nearly as high. I had a similar lamb dish in both but the one in La Cucina was a little better. I also don't massively rate Moderno or the Teppanyaki but he likes them. I will put up with Moderno for the cheese bread and pineapple *drool*. In fact just feed me that and forget the meat.

totally agree with you. We have always enjoyed it. Of course it isn't like eating Italian food in NYC or Chicago but the atmosphere is nice, the selection is great and we have never been disappointed.

I’m so glad to see somebody else say this! I have no idea why people don’t like La Cucina. My grandmother is Sicilian, and I’m VERY picky about Italian food. I LOVE La Cucina. It’s consistently my favorite specialty restaurant, and almost always has the best service. I don’t understand the Cagney’s love at all on these boards. It’s fine, I guess. I’ve never had a terrible steak there. But for the most part, the sides are abysmal. They taste like TV dinner vegetables to me. I guess people don’t have decent quality steak houses at home??? Or even a Ruth’s Chris? I also am not a Teppanyaki fan. At all. I have much better hibachi at home. But I’ve gotten very off topic. They definitely have lasagna at La Cucina, but I totally agree that there are better options. Try the Osso Bucco. And the gnocchi!

Is the menu of La Cucina the same on every NCL Ship? We are sailing POA in March and trying to locate menus. thanks!

The best Italian we've had was in Rome in a little restaurant near the Vatican. Years later, we still talk about this memorable 2 1/2 hour lunch. I don't expect this at LaCucina, but we've eaten at LaCucina and were pleased. I suspect the quality does vary from ship to ship.

Yes, had it last week, I’m a total food snob and it was really good. In fact la cucina was good enough that we cancelled another specialty to eat there a second time

Also anything in the pasta section you could order as an appetizer

That's exactly what I did. Had the delicious meat lasagna as an appetizer (1/2 portion was large) followed by entree.

A few simple pastas like spaghetti and olive oil or such even appear on the extensive sides menu.

I like the fried baby calamari appetizer so good I've either had a double portion or ordered it as my entree.

Don't forget to save room for the tiramisu or ricotta cheesecake!

Will be on Breakaway next cruise and always look forward to an outdoor Waterfront meal at La Cucina.

• 2 months later...
Some of the posts in this thread remind me of the restaurant dinner I was at a couple of months ago where a woman in my party went from table to table, telling people that the food was all crap and that the food in her home was of such high quality that she hated to eat anywhere else. But it guarantees that I will try La Cucina.

Agree. My oh my are people full of themselves. Listing their "credentials" behind their opinion though stated like facts. I've never eaten at la cucina but find the attitudes so off-putting.

La Cucina never seems to be crowded when we go. I always found it a little confusing that they listed appetizer, then pizza, then entrees...etc. We love pizza, so after the 24 hr $5 pizza disappeared from the ships, we'd use our latitude certificate to have a salad and a pizza (each had our own) with that free bottle of wine and their bread. After that we were too full for anything else!! I believe it's time to try out some of the entrees, but do they still have pizza on the menu?