Solo on Jade

MrsP1981

Hi!

i've booked to travel solo on Jade in a few weeks time and wondered if anyone had any experience/words of wisdom to share?!

i was solo on Epic a couple of years ago and it was the BEST cruise i've had out of my 9 so far. i am very aware though that Epic is better prepared for solos with the studio cabins and solo lounge.

Any advice would be great! :)

My first solo cruise was on the Jade a couple of years ago. It's good you realize they aren't set up like on the Epic (my second solo cruise :D)--it's a very different experience on the Jade if you participated in the solo activities on the Epic.

When I was on the Jade, there was a solo gathering each evening, but I didn't go so can't say how well attended it was. I agree with the above suggestion to join your roll call. There were a couple other solos on the roll call and we visited a couple of the ports together. I also spent some time with a couple from Germany and two couples from the U.S. Since it was my first solo cruise I wasn't sure what to expect and I was fine dining alone and spending time by myself. I was surprised by how many people struck up conversations with me. I assume it's because I was alone and probably appeared more open to engage than when I travel with family.

I had UDP and ate in specialties each evening. I was fine dining by myself and the only time it was at all awkward was in Teppanyaki when they seated me at a table with two families with young children who all talked to only their family groups. The other table had couples and solos who were having a great time--I was wishing I was seated at their table! I have no idea what the logic was behind seating me where they did.

I'm happy to answer questions if there's something specific you want to know. :D

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

I was on the Jade recently. They have an assigned member of crew that coordinates the meeting each night, sets up dinners, activities, and reserves seats in the theatre etc. Personally I thought Jade did a great job catering for solo travelers.

Thank you for all your replies, i'm glad they do have a solo coordinator so they are at least catering for solos in some way.

This will be my fourth solo so kind of know what to expect but i still get nervous!

I'm soloing on Jade at the end of September (24th), having also enjoyed the Epic first. If you're back before I go, I'd love to hear about your experience.

what a shame - you will get on as i get off :(!

Edited by MrsP1981

This will be my fourth solo so kind of know what to expect but i still get nervous!

Each of them is different. I've done only two solos so far (third is in 32 days!!) and they were vastly different. On the Jade, I spent a little time with a few people from my roll call, but kept mostly to myself and dined solo every evening. Had a great time! On the Epic, we had a really active roll call with quite a few solos, and I never ate alone and spent most of my time with folks I met at the Meet and Greet. I suspect my cruise in 32 days will be somewhere in between those two experiences. :D

I've also been solo on the Epic and had a great time. I booked today for the Greek Isles on the Jade, and I'm hoping I'll meet plenty people looking to have a drink and a chat.

The big difference for me this time is I'll be in a wheelchair and just got out of hospital 4 weeks ago after a 10 month stay.

I need to challenge myself and there's no better way than on a cruise. I'll be practicing my walking with sticks every day, just like I do at home, and hopefully with the exercise and rest, I'll be in a better situation than when I went on!

I've also been solo on the Epic and had a great time. I booked today for the Greek Isles on the Jade, and I'm hoping I'll meet plenty people looking to have a drink and a chat.

The big difference for me this time is I'll be in a wheelchair and just got out of hospital 4 weeks ago after a 10 month stay.

I need to challenge myself and there's no better way than on a cruise. I'll be practicing my walking with sticks every day, just like I do at home, and hopefully with the exercise and rest, I'll be in a better situation than when I went on!

i completely believe we should challenge ourselves so well done you! Don't suppose you're on my sailing on 17 September?