Caribbean Cruise

butterflylarvae

My husband used to get seasick and was very concerned about cruising. Our first cruise was many, many years ago before ships had the great stabilizers that they have now. We took a 4 day cruise, and when he actually enjoyed being on the ocean, we increased the length of our cruises to a minimum of 14 days. Good luck and try not to worry too much. If my husband could enjoy cruising, almost anyone can.

I am not advocating the words below, rather curious as to what the ship has to do paperwork wise in this scenario.

If a person is late back to the boat, I have seen them take luggage off and leave it with the harbor master office, how is this different from a customs perspective to someone voluntarily leaving a cruise at a port half way through the trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not advocating the words below, rather curious as to what the ship has to do paperwork wise in this scenario.

If a person is late back to the boat, I have seen them take luggage off and leave it with the harbor master office, how is this different from a customs perspective to someone voluntarily leaving a cruise at a port half way through the trip?

Well, there's the difference that in one scenario the ship has put them ashore. The other, they left the ship voluntarily.

Don't know what, if any, impact that has on whether the ship must now process the paperwork differently (as they must do if someone voluntarily is permitted to debark early). I'd suspect there's no difference in that respect.

Plus, any fines (if there are any) would be passed on to the person who left the ship without permission.

I surely hope so. My aunt says it doesn't even feel like you are on a boat. Is that true? Is there alot of movement? Since I'm going alone I always wonder if im up at night if it would scare me if i had to deal with some motion.

This is true. It doesn’t feel like any boat you have been on. There is some motion. But the entire room is moving and it’s just different than a sail boat. More like a plane.

Do you get motion sick at home? In cars, planes, buses, amusement park rides? If the answer is no, you almost certainly will not get sick. If the answer is yes, you should look into motion sickness remedies. I am very motion sickness prone. I’ve used the patch (prescription only) and bonine (otc) with good experiences.

As far as motion in the room at night, I find it pleasant. It’s a bit like being rocked to sleep in a hammock when the boat is moving.

I would focus less on whether you can get off in port - and yes, if there’s an emergency and you need to get off they will work with you. But cruises aren’t meant to be a la carte where you board and disembark wherever you please. They are less accommodating to people planning on leaving early because it changes they paperwork they have to do. Focus more on how to enjoy your cruise so you don’t want to get off!

Ok, if you're worried about seasickness and the motion, try one of the megaships. I was just on Oasis of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) a couple of weeks ago, and it felt a lot like a hotel on land. when I was inside on the promendade, I couldn't even feel the movement. At dinner, I felt the vibration of the engines, but no movement. Talk to a travel agent who specializes in cruises. They've been on many of the ships, and will be able to guide you to a cabin where you're less likely to feel motion as well as a ship that gives you little to no sensation of moving.