Passport card or Book?

lylone

Hey all,

I just renewed my passport this year and also got a passport card along with it. On the card it states that it can be used for sea and foot travel only. So, is this sufficient on a cruise? We traveled to Cancun this Spring by air and had to have the book to get in and out of customs, but while in Mexico we used the card while we were in the country.

Do we still need to bring our passport book for a cruise?

TIA.

The passport card will be fine for a closed circuit cruise (the ones that a BC is also good for). If there is any problem that forces you to fly, the card is of no use. You would have to go to a US consulate or embassy to apply for a passport and stay in that country until it is issued.

The passport card will be fine for a closed circuit cruise (the ones that a BC is also good for). If there is any problem that forces you to fly, the card is of no use. You would have to go to a US consulate or embassy to apply for a passport and stay in that country until it is issued.

The passport card is good for non-closed loop cruises also as long as you are cruising to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean (non-closed loop cruises aren't that common, though. NCL is the only line I'm aware of that offers them regularly).

The passport card is good for non-closed loop cruises also as long as you are cruising to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean (non-closed loop cruises aren't that common, though. NCL is the only line I'm aware of that offers them regularly).

Yes, the card will work for the CRUISE. And for ground transportation across the borders. But it will NOT get you on a flight, to or from one of those countries. The passport book will only work for that. There is no real reason to buy the card if you already have the book, unless you drive frequently across the border, like you live in New York, work in Canada, commute daily.

I don't know why the original poster thought he'd need both...

Yes, the card will work for the CRUISE. And for ground transportation across the borders. But it will NOT get you on a flight, to or from one of those countries. The passport book will only work for that. There is no real reason to buy the card if you already have the book, unless you drive frequently across the border, like you live in New York, work in Canada, commute daily.

I said that the card couldn't be used for flight in my first reply;).

I have a passport card, the passport book, and an enhanced driver's license. I don't prefer to carry my passport if we're taking a land-only trip out of the country (we live near the canadian border). I got the card before the EDL was available.

Archived