tips

bronxboy683

No. On any night (or morning or lunchtime) when you eat are you going to personally tip everyone who has had anything to do with the meal that you have eaten? That is all the chefs and kitchen staff; all the waiters and desk clerks. What about all the stewards who have helped in some way or the laundry staff who have ensured you have clean sheets?

In 2015 while on board the Epic we over heard passengers talking about a form you could complete and NCL would return the tip charges to your credit card. The form had to be completed and returned within so many days after the end of the cruise. One passenger even reported receiving a refund check from NCL. As we all know things change and this may no longer be the case.

I gotta say, I love the folks who want to change the system.

The DSC is a compulsory charge that lines charge because they can't just add to the fare. Doing so would make one cruise line appear less competitive on price. Also, it makes people feel like they don't have to tip.

Pay your DSC and if you want to tip people you interact with more then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Personally my DH and I pay what is requested. In fact we go well beyond what is asked. I personally print special envelopes (with a personal message) and we pass them out on the last night with a little something extra to those that we feel made our vacation extra special. However, everyone does not feel the same and I make it a habit of trying not to suggest or tell others how to spend their money. Makes life a little more stress free for me anyway. Happy cruising!

could i take the same amount that ncl charges for tips(even more). and split it among the crew that actually do things for me.?

If your intention is to split among the crew that actually do things for you, then NCL's auto-tip system does it for you since you are not in touch with all of them who indirectly serves your needs. You don't have to take the same amount that NCL charges for tips. Otherwise, you will be defeating your very same purpose.

Nope. If you're from the U.S. you can't have the DSC removed and tip in cash. You won't come into contact with all the cruise staff "who actually do things" for you. You're absolutely free to tip those "who actually do things" for you some additional if you'd like. :p

This is absolutely false. I am not saying I would do it, however please don't propagate false information. You definitely can remove the DSC. You just fill a form that you get from guest services.

That is impossible, you won't have contact with all those who serve you or work in a tip based position to make your vacation memorable. It is set up fairly to compensate them, don't make it complicated.

you used to be able to have it removed on board on the last day. now you fill out a form, pay the DSC, and wait several months for a refund. its easier and better just to pay it.

you can then give extra to those who "directly" assist you, but there is no obligation to do so. its all inclusive, except for butlers and the conceirge if you are in a suite. they need to be tipped.

This is absolutely false. I am not saying I would do it, however please don't propagate false information. You definitely can remove the DSC. You just fill a form that you get from guest services.

After the fact. I inferred the OP was asking if he could remove the DSC and tip in cash on his cruise. If you're from the U.S. you can't just go to Guest Services and remove it.

On our last cruise (Epic, Feb 2017), while waiting in line at guest services, my husband overheard someone requesting to remove the DSC. The guest services staff member kept asking the woman if she had problems with the service, and noted that she had made no complaints during the week. Not only would that staff member not remove it, the manager wouldn't either. I don't know if she received the form and money later, I just know she wasn't allowed to do it on the ship.

After the fact. I inferred the OP was asking if he could remove the DSC and tip in cash on his cruise. If you're from the U.S. you can't just go to Guest Services and remove it.

Sure you can. Was on the Gem in December and one of my friends did just that. Went to guest services. Received a form and was refunded right there on the ship. From what I understand it depends on the ship but you will either get it refunded on the ship or refunded to credit card a "few" weeks later.

Pay your DSC.

DSC forms are suppose to be refunded after the cruise. If the ship's staff process them on board, it is an exception to normal practice. You should not assert that this is the case on every ship in every case.

Pay your DSC.

DSC forms are suppose to be refunded after the cruise. If the ship's staff process them on board, it is an exception to normal practice. You should not assert that this is the case on every ship in every case.

As I said in a different post, I have first hand knowledge that they did refund on the ship on the Gem in December but also noted that it may be refunded after the cruise. Either way, I was debunking the poster who said that People from US cannot get the DSC refunded. I was not asserting that they always refund on the ship nor saying that one should not pay the DSC. Just trying to get the correct information out.

could i take the same amount that ncl charges for tips(even more). and split it among the crew that actually do things for me.?

Yes, you can. You might be out the amount of the DSC for a while, but it can be done.

Some people are so intent on placing their ideals on others that they are unable to answer a simple yes or no question. You have to go to Guest Services and request a form to be filled out and you will be refunded within a few weeks. You may tip or not tip whomever you choose.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, you can. You might be out the amount of the DSC for a while, but it can be done.

Some people are so intent on placing their ideals on others that they are unable to answer a simple yes or no question. You have to go to Guest Services and request a form to be filled out and you will be refunded within a few weeks. You may tip or not tip whomever you choose.

And do you have do this on the first day of the cruise or on any day during your cruise?