how far out on sea does wifi reach?

eshum953

this isn't about a cruise or anything, it's just that I and some friends had the idea of making a synthetic island out on the sea to form a new country/continent. we are aware of the conditions including EEZ and materials. the only problem is that I and my friends are obsessed with the internet and need to know how far out we can go before we lose internet connection.

That must be some good ganja. ;)

Top notch.

I remember when the Brits were going out on old WWII anti-aircraft towers offshore and declaring themselves independent. Didn't work for them.

OP has some serious misunderstanding about what wifi is. Even with max power, optimum wavelength, and the best parabolic antenna, "line of sight" is the rule of thumb for wifi frequencies, or 20 miles or less (that would be with you and your "island" generator feeding the signal). And most wifi from land would be about 100 meters.

Top notch.

I remember when the Brits were going out on old WWII anti-aircraft towers offshore and declaring themselves independent. Didn't work for them.

It worked for quite a while though, and caused UNCLOS to specify that manmade towers don't count as an island. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

OP may like www.seasteading.org.

While I am enjoying some of the unintended hilarity, I now understand completely why some other discussion forums I occasionally visit have a blanket ban on "crayonista" type discussions...

Edited by fishywood

this isn't about a cruise or anything, it's just that I and some friends had the idea of making a synthetic island out on the sea to form a new country/continent. we are aware of the conditions including EEZ and materials. the only problem is that I and my friends are obsessed with the internet and need to know how far out we can go before we lose internet connection.
Welcome to cruise critic. Enjoy your dreams.:D