On board the AQ

DebbieMH

Bed is comfortable, breakfast was good. Actually, they have some of the best grits I've had in a long time. We did the pilot house tour this morning. Quite interesting and I would recommend it. We did not see the show last night, but both of the piano players (main lounge and engine bar) are excellent. We are at Oak Alley this morning, we got off the boat just to take pictures because we have been to Oak Alley and Laura Plantation many times. Again, all the staff have been very friendly and competent. We are going to see the Rivertarian this afternoon, and hopefully win at Bingo! For folks that are following this because they are booked on the AQ or are thinking about it, you will enjoy it!

Gary Puckett gave an excellent show tonight. And Paul Revere had dinner at the table next to us! Dinner was very good again. And, I do want to point out that I'm a bit of a cruise snob - I like excellent service, excellent food and friendly staff - in exchange for my cruise dollars. That is why I basically cruise Crystal. The AQ is right in line. I am not at all disappointed! AQ is proving to be our "river" Crystal.

Took the premium trip here at St Francisville. Went to Angola prison, schools should require all their students to come here once a year. If we did that, I'm sure it would cut down the criminal element, this is not somewhere anyone would want to live out their lives. Myrtle Plantation was very nice. Had brunch today with Gary Pucketts keyboard player and his wife in the main dining room. There was a Jazz brunch today and the musicians were fantastic! I even overheard Gary Puckett saying how impressed he was with their playing.

The busses AQ uses to take us on trips and to town - hop on are great. Comfortable, and you can recognize them a mile away! Excursions seem well organized.

A note on the showers - we have had good water pressure and have not run out of hot water. Towels are of good quality, shampoo, shower gel and conditioner is kept stocked. No complaints yet!

Annie Moses Band was wonderful - what a talented family. I'm sitting here this morning with my coffee - getting ready to explore Natchez. And wanted to comment on the hop on hop off busses. What a great addition that is. AQ buses meet you in every town - one is sitting on the bank right in front, so, you just get off the boat and onto the bus.

On another note, the Queen of the Mississippi passed us last night heading toward New Orleans. I'm happy to be on the AQ :-)

Debbie,

DW and I are also looking forward to our first trip on the American Queen in just a couple of weeks so I am hanging on every word of your reports. Thanks for sharing your experience. You mentioned being in the second dinner seating. Can you tell me what time the first and second seatings take place. Also, do most passengers all show up together or do they come in a more staggered pattern?

Peter

Hi Peter. Dinner settings are 5:30 and 7:45. You get your table assignment, and after the first night you just go to your table. We are at a table for 6. There is another couple at our table that comes some nights and not others. I will mention that the entertainment has two shows as well 6:45 for second seating guests and 8:00 for first seating. I've been told that there aren't a lot of people in the 8:00 showing. The 6:45 has always been well attended. We had lobster tail last night with turtle soup. Both excellent. Carrot cake is also to die for. Last night around 2:30 am I woke up - went to the front porch and had a ice creme cone! What a life :-)

Debbie,

Thanks for the quick response. We are traveling with another couple and when we booked (last January!) our travel agent "requested" second seating. Our documents arrived yesterday and, apparently, 11 months was not sufficient advance notice. 5:15 seems like an awfully early time to sit down to dinner, but if I just tell my body that we are still on East Coast time and it is really 6:15, it won't seem too odd.

We have really been looking forward to what will be for us a completely different vacation experience. I am glad that so many people have reported having a wonderful trip.

Have you experienced any impact of low river water levels on your trip? (skipped ports, changed schedules, etc.)

Peter

Btw Paul Revere was beyond wonderful last night. So much so, that we stayed for the second show and missed dinner. Had a hot dog in the front porch later. AQ also arranged for a bonfire on the levy with fireworks for us last night. What a treat.

Debbie,

So glad that you enjoyed your trip. I'm really thrilled to hear that you were pleased with the service. The AMERICAN QUEEN being compared to Crystal Cruises and meeting the challenge is certainly high praise. How was the weather and did you get to use your balcony?

Frank

Debbie,

Greatly enjoyed your live reviews, especially as we'll be taking the New Year's Eve cruise.

Can you explain how the hop-on, hop-off bus works? They didn't have those when we went previously, you either took a paid excursion or were on your own. Do the buses just make a regular circuit, allowing you to get off and on as you want?

The hop on, hop off buses are great. You get a map of the town which shows you the bus stops and where the attractions are. Also, most of the houses you can tour as well as the museums are all free for AQ passengers. AQ has already paid the admission. There is a tour guide on the bus, giving you the history of the area. This is one aspect of AQ that goes way above and beyond "Normal".

The hop on, hop off buses are great. You get a map of the town which shows you the bus stops and where the attractions are. Also, most of the houses you can tour as well as the museums are all free for AQ passengers. AQ has already paid the admission. There is a tour guide on the bus, giving you the history of the area. This is one aspect of AQ that goes way above and beyond "Normal".

Much appreciated. I thought this might be the case but the AQ website is a little vague on the subject.

We did this itinerary on the Delta Queen and enjoyed it, more than we did the Ohio River on the American Queen a few years ago.

We did this itinerary on the Delta Queen and enjoyed it, more than we did the Ohio River on the American Queen a few years ago.

That might just have been the old DELTA QUEEN working her charm on you! She did that to a lot of others too.