St Kitts train

Essexlass2

The first time we went to St Kitts someone on our ship did take a taxi to the train and was able to get on but the cost of the train plus taxi was more than the ship's trip. We also had a bit of a detour on the return journey and saw one or two landmarks which those in the taxi didn't. However I understand as others have posted that the cruise ships more or less completely book up the train so even if you were to try to DiY you may find you can't get on the train anyway.

For the price we are paying next month, I'm expecting to drink at least a bottle of rum!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

When we did the trip a couple of years ago we were on the early morning trip - first time I have been drunk by 9.30am and had to decline a few drinks offered, they were very strong. Some other passengers who were on the afternoon trip didnt make it to dinner! so be careful!!

Saying that though we really enjoyed the trip.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

When we went to St Kitts we booked an island tour with Pereira Tours which was very good.

I had also researched the train and discovered it gives all their allocation to cruise ships. However, after speaking to our fellow dining companions we were glad we did the tour as I believe you don't see much of the island on the train, just lots of sugar cane fields.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we went to St Kitts we booked an island tour with Pereira Tours which was very good.

I had also researched the train and discovered it gives all their allocation to cruise ships. However, after speaking to our fellow dining companions we were glad we did the tour as I believe you don't see much of the island on the train, just lots of sugar cane fields.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're right we did this excursion a few years ago. I found it disappointing as you don't get to see much of the island at all. It wasn't helped by the fact that it rained the entire time and we had to have the plastic blinds pulled down. If the weather had been better it might have been a pleasant ride but very little to see.

We really loved it, you go through some villages and to parts of the island you would never see, the booze flows freely (they do soft drinks too) and the commentary is non-stop. The waitresses even sang some Xmas songs. I have some pictures and a video of the trip if anyone is interested.

We really loved it, you go through some villages and to parts of the island you would never see, the booze flows freely (they do soft drinks too) and the commentary is non-stop. The waitresses even sang some Xmas songs. I have some pictures and a video of the trip if anyone is interested.

I would be interested in seeing photos if possible.We are thinking of doing the train trip but can t decide between the train and catamaran or just the train???

SK1.jpg

SK2.jpg

And the video is here:

That's the short version, I have two other longer ones.

You can drink as much as you want, we were sat right at the back which was wonderful but the drinks were at the other end, you did get waitress service though. Sorry about the handrail in the video unavoidable sadly, there are toilets and air conditioning downstairs but it was empty when I did go down.

Its very leisurely and pleasant, you can get back to the ship by catamaran after a quick bus trip if you want.

Hope that helps.

Has anyone ever managed to book the scenic train that goes around St Kitts without going through the ship's tours? I'm all for a bargain! :)

Just looking at my cruise personaliser and there are no tours for the senic railway. We go 23/2/18, cruise D804. In fact they are not offering many tours at all to most of the islands. We did a snorkelling trip to the Pistons last year which was great, but no sign of it this year.

Hi we are looking at this trip - is there space on the open deck of the train for everyone or is it a 'first come first served' basis ? ThanksGill

When we did the trip everyone was upstairs the toilets were downstairs and I think there was air conditioning if it was too warm.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app