Which airport is the least worst to fly out of? (like that grammar?!)

I know that LGA(LaGuardia) and Newark(EWR) are not the most fun airports, but will be flying home from a cruise that docks and disembarks in NYC (well, probably Brooklyn?). Can book flights home from either airport. Is one "better" than the other as far as getting there by taxi or whatever form I use, getting to gate without getting completely lost, etc. Thanks for your input.

Pooh

In August I flew out of Newark. I never want to fly out of NYC again. Security lines seemed like they were blocks long. Far too many people. Just awful.

But The other 2 airports might be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All things being equal, our experience is that it's easier to get to LaGuardia. But, you have to consider which airport has the best connections to your destination and that could be something different. They're all big, busy airports.

I have no first-hand knowledge to answer your question, but for our October cruise we're flying into LaGuardia and flying out at Newark simply due to non-stop flight schedules that work best for our plans.

As far as your comment about what dock/Brooklyn, here's the schedule for 2018:

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

New York City Airports are way below standards that one would expect to find in a city as big as New York. With that being said, my first choice would be Kennedy, followed by La Guardia and then Newark.

Well, thanks guys for information so quick. Looking for other's ideas too. Flights are similar in time and price for the two airports mentioned. Unfortunately there are no flights out of Kennedy with my airline of choice. Is Kennedy so much better that I should look to see if another airline would be available for me out of Kennedy. I have given enough clues (grin), my first airline is SW. I am also hoping that there is EZ check available when docking in NY?

So far it looks like I should fly out of LaGuardia. Best flights don't leave until after 4PM so I will have plenty of time at least!!!

Pooh

I would never fly out of Newark again. When changing planes we had to go back thru security as the new terminal was outside the secure zone. Many people missed follow on flights due to the long lines. Worst airport we have ever been in.

As an X Nyrker I know that getting to any of those airports from Brooklyn is a real pain!!! Any possibility of staying over a night in Manhattan before you fly home??

Southwest is not always the least expensive out of NYC.

You may be surprised to find that sometimes one way into NYC on one airline and then out of NYC on another airline works out really well in terms of price and scheduling. I have done that for my many visits home from California.

Hi Pooh,

I love your name. Every time I see it I smile. We are flying out of LaGuardia in September when we get back from our TA. It is a non-stop flight. I have never flown in or out of LaGuardia but I have been there on a shuttle stop to JFK. It looks like an easy airport to navigate. It is fairly close to the port too. We will be using the Princess shuttle. The only bad thing is that we have to wait until 4PM to get the flight.

Newark is further away. I have never driven up to Newark but I have been in the terminal due to connecting flights. It can be a bit much to navigate so I am happy that I will be going out of LaGuardia.

Well, thanks guys for information so quick. Looking for other's ideas too. Flights are similar in time and price for the two airports mentioned. Unfortunately there are no flights out of Kennedy with my airline of choice. Is Kennedy so much better that I should look to see if another airline would be available for me out of Kennedy. I have given enough clues (grin), my first airline is SW. I am also hoping that there is EZ check available when docking in NY?

So far it looks like I should fly out of LaGuardia. Best flights don't leave until after 4PM so I will have plenty of time at least!!!

Pooh

To go back to your originally posted question, LGA would definitely be better than Newark. The cost of getting to Newark (assuming you are docking in Brooklyn) would be much much greater. Kennedy is about equal to LGA as far as distance (from Brooklyn), but I can appreciate your wishing to fly SW. Unless you can find a fare or a time you like better from Kennedy, I would stick with LGA.

The problem w JFK is that if you have to switch airlines and sometimes even if you do not have to switch, you have to take a train from one terminal to another. That takes time and can be a real pain.

DON

LaGuardia airport is undergoing a major renovation. I would not, under any circumstances, fly in or out of there. Traffic is horrendous.

I would opt for Newark. That is my home airport and I have never had any problems there. Depending on how many of you there are, taking the Princess shuttle is probably the best way to go. There are many tolls going from Brooklyn to NJ, so a taxi or Uber will cost a fortune depending on which tunnels, bridges and toll roads are used.

I know that LGA(LaGuardia) and Newark(EWR) are not the most fun airports, but will be flying home from a cruise that docks and disembarks in NYC (well, probably Brooklyn?). Can book flights home from either airport. Is one "better" than the other as far as getting there by taxi or whatever form I use, getting to gate without getting completely lost, etc. Thanks for your input.

Pooh

Our TA on the Caribbean Princess docked in Brooklyn a few years ago. We took Princess transportation to EWR where our daughter picked us up. We live near EWR. The porter in Brooklyn was most helpful in getting us thru customs and took our bags right to the bus. Very easy, no hassle.

Howard

We fly in/out of EWR all the time. While the security lines can be long the airport is easy to navigate. May I suggest you apply for Global Entry which comes with TSA pre-check. This makes the security process much easier. I would book the Princess transfer if you choose EWR. It is quite a distance and you have to pass through NYC to get there.

LaGuardia airport is undergoing a major renovation. I would not, under any circumstances, fly in or out of there. Traffic is horrendous.

I would opt for Newark. That is my home airport and I have never had any problems there. Depending on how many of you there are, taking the Princess shuttle is probably the best way to go. There are many tolls going from Brooklyn to NJ, so a taxi or Uber will cost a fortune depending on which tunnels, bridges and toll roads are used.

We would not be using this airport until 09/2019. Do you think that the renovation you are mentioning will be done by then?

Pooh

Ok, now I don't know! I guess if we decide to do EWR, definitely do Princess transfer. We do use them a lot for ease of travel. Again, even if it takes awhile to get there, that's ok as we would have a late pm flight home.

How bad is the construction now at LaGuardia? Anyone been through there recently? I would hope that would be done in 1 1/2 years!

So I guess that this would be a 50/50 proposition? I guess that flight times, prices, availability of EZcheck if at all, will be my deciding factors!! Was going to think of doing a Princess tour that lets you out at airport, but flight isn't quite late enough for that.

So I guess my final question to you guys about the two airports, which has the best food selections after security and which has the nicest seating areas (thinking wonderful rocking chairs with cool view in Seattle airport)! Grin.

Pooh

JFK is a rat hole.

We taxied there from Brooklyn after arriving on the QM2 last year, to catch a flight to Calgary.

Arrived at JFK around noon, but flight not until 5.30 p.m., (no direct flights before that time), but there was simply nowhere to sit in the departures area, as there were no seats until you pass through security. (Note - not a case of the seats there being full, there were simply no seats there, which is obviously a deliberate - & nonsensical - design decision). As we couldn't check in until around 3 p.m., we had three hours to kill & had no option but to transfer ourselves & luggage to arrivals to get a couple of the sparse seats there at a grotty 'diner'/cafe.

It is simply insane that there were no seats in the departures area (I assume this is still the same today ?). People were sitting/lying on the floor & it just felt so grubby & unwelcoming. None of the staff seemed to want to be there either !

The whole experience left a very bad taste in the mouth.

JFK is a rat hole.

We taxied there from Brooklyn after arriving on the QM2 last year, to catch a flight to Calgary.

Arrived at JFK around noon, but flight not until 5.30 p.m., (no direct flights before that time), but there was simply nowhere to sit in the departures area, as there were no seats until you pass through security. (Note - not a case of the seats there being full, there were simply no seats there, which is obviously a deliberate - & nonsensical - design decision). As we couldn't check in until around 3 p.m., we had three hours to kill & had no option but to transfer ourselves & luggage to arrivals to get a couple of the sparse seats there at a grotty 'diner'/cafe.

It is simply insane that there were no seats in the departures area (I assume this is still the same today ?). People were sitting/lying on the floor & it just felt so grubby & unwelcoming. None of the staff seemed to want to be there either !

The whole experience left a very bad taste in the mouth.

Not a NY airport but we had the same experience in FLL. People sitting on the floor and the planters for hours on end waiting to be able to check in so they could get to seating. Freaking insane.

Pooh Understands, you and I need to set up a meet & greet for lunch, but not today because, dang! It's snowing again! ha ha

I can't contribute anything one way or another to your decision process on this one. We try to avoid anything connecting thru NYC.

It was a while now but we've flown in/out of JFK, LaGuardia and Newark in the past and Newark was by far the best of the three. Plus, the Princess transfers were really easy and actually cheaper than a cab from EWR to the pier (Red Hook). One more thing, depending on -your flight itinerary, United has some beautiful 757-200 series planes with the most fantastic business class that fly into EWR. Not sure if that is in your budget but great for cross country flights.

So, speaking of grammar, one of my English teachers told me that "a preposition is a fine word to end a sentence with". So, I do like your grammar! hahaha