Christmas!

Jellybean46

Sorry I know it really is too early to talk Christmas :p but, we have just booked an Asia cruise over Christmas and New Year. I have never cruised Christmas or HAL before and wonder if anyone could give me information on what happens onboard specifically to celebrate the festivities.

We are travelling with a 14 and 12 year old.

Thank you for any information x

Sorry I know it really is too early to talk Christmas :p but, we have just booked an Asia cruise over Christmas and New Year. I have never cruised Christmas or HAL before and wonder if anyone could give me information on what happens onboard specifically to celebrate the festivities.

We are travelling with a 14 and 12 year old.

Thank you for any information x

In a nutshell - the ship will be decorated beautifully. Santa will be tracked and usually arrive on board and gives gifts to the children. There is usually a nice Christmas carol session late evening as well as a special service.

New Year's Eve - definitely a big celebration with bubbly and hats.

Hopefully others will add to the list for you.

Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in the Atrium accompanied with carols being sung by the Entertainment Staff and guests while Stewards distribute Christmas cookies, hot chocolate, and maybe warm Apple Cider start the festivities. As kazu mentioned, on Christmas morning in the Showroom, a video is shown, proceeded by announcements from the Bridge of a UFO approaching the ship, of Santa's arrival is something that ought not to be missed. Santa then appears on the stage and the children are called on the stage and presented with gifts. (Adults are then invited to also come to the stage for a photo with Mr. Claus.) It's a grand time even for this Senior Citizen!

A gala Christmas Eve dinner is served in the MDR. As I recall, the dinner service on Christmas Day is "normal" other than a pastry Yule Log usually is at the entrance to the MDR and a pastry Yule Log dessert item is available.

Good Christmas Cookies are available throughout the cruise in the Lido Restaurant at the Ice Cream Station.

New Year's Eve on the Prinsendam was the most fun I have had on that evening in years! The program does vary from ship to ship. The larger the ship, the more party options that will be available. (My experience is on Prinsendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Zaandam.) Count on lots of music, a balloon drop in a lounge, and one glass of complimentary "champagne". (Tip: visit the rear of the public room from where the bubbly is coming. As the distribution time comes to a close, it's not difficult to snag another glass or two or ?.)

There will be a Christmas Eve Mass. On some of my cruises, a Protestant Minister was aboard and also conducted a Christmas Eve service. My most recent experience on Zaandam, there was no Minister, but a service was organized by interested guests.