Book Suggestion

Folkaltered

We are three sisters, cruising on HAL in August 2018 from Venice to Rome

I always enjoy reading books based on the areas I'm traveling to and thought others might enjoy this one as well. The Unfinished Palazzo (Life, Love and Art in Venice) by Thames & Hudson is about a Venetian palazzo that was owned in turn by three women, Luisa Casati, Doris Castlerosse and Peggy Guggenheim. It's a wonderful history as well as an inspiring description of what me may all see in Venice!

"City of Falling Angels" reads like a crime novel, but it the true "who done it" about the fairly recent La Fenice Opera House fire. In this Italian city everyone is suspected and every one is innocent. It is quite a romp through modern Italian politics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_of_Falling_Angels

"Between Salt Water and Holy Water" is a wonderful history of Naples and Southern Italy -a often overlooked city today, yet it was the "Paris" of Italy and a required stop on anyone's Grand Tour of Europe up until the mid 19th century. It oozes with layer upon layer of lush history as the leading and very rich Mediterranean seaport for centuries. And then it stopped and fell into the genteel decay one sees today on the surface, until one explores what still lingers and remains lavish. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/597934.Between_Salt_Water_and_Holy_Water

It's always nice to enjoy a good book when you cruise or pre-cruise.

My recommendation - join your roll call - there are usually other interested and can come up with books that pertain to the cruise you are on.

We have a book club on our roll call and since we are going to Guernsey - one of the books recommended (and well worth a read) is The Guernsey LIterary and Potato Peel Society.

Onle of the advantages of roll calls :)