Fathom Adonia - what is experience in Aft Facing Suites?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:46 AM.
Florida
55 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
I am on the May 7th Adonia cruise and as a surprise for my best friend, I upgraded us from a balcony to one of the Aft-facing suites (Reservations state PH - Guarantee.) We have not yet been assigned our cabin #. I am just getting over a big surgery and may have to bring my scooter chair, so I want the extra room.

Can anyone who has stayed in one of the Aft Suites let us know what can we expect? Does the couch open up to a bed? Is there a DVD Player in the main room?

I know the surcharge is $5 for Room Service. Is there Room Service available all day, or just for Breakfast? THANKS!!!
Phoenix, AZ
187 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
We just returned from the 4/2 Cuba sailing. We were upgraded to a PH suite (C088). Complete luck of the draw, we had booked a balcony cabin. There are 6 AFT suites, 2 on each deck. Per the deck plan the 2 on B deck have convertible sofas and the other 4 do not. We were greeted with a bowl of fruit and champagne chilling in a bucket. There is a DVD player. Ours did not work right and it took nearly 2 hours to get it fixed after reporting it, so if you plan to use it, make sure it is working in advance of using it. DVDs are available in the library. Other perks included FREE room service, and a complimentary dinner for two in the Ocean Grill (normally $25 per person). The room service is available all day but after breakfast the menu is limited to sandwiches and the like. Make your Ocean Grill reservations as soon as you can as the prime times go away fast.

Overall the suite was a great experience. Huge wraparound deck, two bathrooms, jacuzzi, tables (one inside, one on the deck) for dining, robes and slippers. On the negative side, there is much more motion than in the middle of the ship, the engine vibration is real noticeable and the exhaust came wafting down depending upon the winds.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Fascination - Southern Caribbean - 1996
Celebrity Mercury - Panama Canal - 2002
Fathom Adonia - Cuba - April 2, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
187 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
6 days before the cruise (the preceding Monday), received an email that looked just like previous Fathom emails, welcome to Fathom, exciting experience, etc. Nothing about an upgrade. Like previous emails there was a booking confirmation attached. I checked it to see if there were any changes and I saw a cabin change, along with a category change (PH). In the comments down lower it said

Shower Over W/P Bath W/P = Whirlpool Bath
Category Upgrade
Upgraded From Cat B1

It felt like we had just hit the lottery.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Near Tampa, Florida
3,418 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Question:

From photo online, it looks like due to the metal enclosure around an aft facing suite one wouldn't be able to see over the rail when seated. Is this correct?

The view from a regular balcony seems more open when sitting.

Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Most of my reviews: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...mberName=tbmrt
9/16/17 MSC Divina
5/7/17 Fathom Adonia
12/9/16 Windstar Windsurf
9/10/16 Royal Caribbean Oasis of Seas
11/30/15 Celebrity Equinox
12/12/14 Celebrity Equinox
5/19/14 Caribbean Princess
12/10/13 MSC Divina
12/13/12 Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas
12/14/11 NCL Dawn
12/03/10 NCL Sky
10/16/10 NCL Sun
06/05/10 Bahamas Celebration
12/04/09 NCL Sky Bahamas
11/30/09 Royal Caribbean Majesty Bahamas
11/29/09 NCL DAWN WAS CANCELLED!
12/08/08 Celebrity Solstice Eastern Caribbean
12/07/07 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
Phoenix, AZ
187 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Depends upon which chair you are in (there are 3 kinds), your height and your posture. The rail is wooden with a clear fiberglass panel below it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
300 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
We love our aft penthouse on the Adonia. We were told to keep the drapes closed because of the heat generated by the sun???? Our suite was very warm..after 3 days of being told keep the drapes closed, I asked for a technician to visit my cabin. He was wonderful and immediately corrected an issue with the ac. Even though we were docked for 31/2 days we enjoyed the suite immensely. Can't wait to be back on fathom 5/21
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/17/18 Celebrity Equinox
11/27/17 NCL JADE
11/11/17 NCL Escape
5/21/17 Fathom Adonia
4/8/17 Celebrity Summit. So.Caribbean
1/25/17 - NCL Pearl
1/1/17 - Fathom Impact cruise Dominican Republic
10/1/16 - RCL Vision of the Seas Greece/Turkey/Croatia
2/14/16 NCL Getaway Western Caribbean
1/18/16 Celebrity Constellation
12/17/15 Celebrity Constellation
9/12/15 NCL Jade Greece/Turkey
Celebrity Constellation 1/15
HAL Westerdam Alaska 6/28/14
RCL Independence of the Seas 4/12/14
RCL Liberty of the Seas 2/15/14
Celebrity Constellation 12/14/13
Star Princess Alaska 9/13
NCL Epic 2/16/13
RCL Majesty of the Seas 1/14/13
NCL EPIC 4/7/12
RCL LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 1/12/12
RCL NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS 1/11
RCL VOYAGER OF THE SEAS 10/11 Med. Italy
RCL NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS 1/10
HAL WESTERDAM 2/10
NCL SKY 1/9
HAL WESTERDAM 4/9
CELEBRITY CENTURY 1/8
CARNIVAL LIBERTY 4/8
RCL Sov. of the Seas 2/7
RCL SOV. OF THE SEAS 1/7
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH 2/7
CARNIVAL MARDI GRAS 1993
Carnival Mardi Gras '92
Big Red Boat 1/88
Big Red Boat 12/89
CARNIVAL JUBILEE 1/87
San Diego area
761 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
We were in one of the aft PH suites on deck B a week ago to the DR. Loved it! Lots of room, incl a wall of storage closets in the bedroom! I agree with most of what pbenjamin wrote, except we did not notice an engine vibration problem nor "motion of the ocean". We hosted a small Cruise Critic get-together in our suite on the first sea day. BTW, early on in the cruise our stewardess delivered chocolate covered strawberries in the afternoon. Nice!