Important Info: Guarding Your Private Info

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:41 PM.
Vancouver, WA
224 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Thanks! I put out my full name and cabin number. Not sure if thats a no no but I shall remove it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Yachats, OR
887 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Even if you just post your e-mail address, it will probably be taken by someone who collects them and then sells them to spamers. Every morning I have at least 20 junk e-mails that are from someone trying to sell me the little blue pill, fake Rolex's or asking for my banking information so they can deposit $10 million dollars into my account and then give me 20% just for being a go between. As much as you want to help other people don't ever list your e-mail address.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
STEVE & DONALEE

Sept 1492 Portugal/Santa Maria/The New World
May 1979 Carnival Festivale/Caribbean
April 1984 Sitmar Fairwind/Caribbean
April 2002 NCL Norway/Caribbean
Jan 2005 NCL Sun/Caribbean
Oct 2006 HAL Zaandam/Hawaii
Sept 2008 Celebrity Infinity/Alaska
June 2013 HAL Oosterdam/Alaska
Sept 2013 HAL Veendam/New England & Canada
April 2014 Celebrity Solstice/Sydney to Vancouver

1 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Was wandering if any one who stayed in cabin 9002 forward or penthouse in very back in 8130 did they hear any noise from bar/bowling alley which is directly below this room
Western NY
3,437 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

81 Past Cruises. 561 Nights at Sea.
Carnival Diamond, Norwegian Platinum Plus.
Royal Platinum, Princess Gold , Holland Star Mariner.
mississippi
4 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
We booked a cruise on NCL about 8 weeks ago, and we used a credit card in my husband's name that we had not used in a long time. Immediately, we began to get harassing phone calls from a telemarketer in Kingston, Jamaica, who called herself "Mrs. King," probably not her real name. We could not block her phone calls because they were from overseas. She called us at all hours of the day and night, and was trying to sell us balloons, flowers, and other junk for our cabin on the NCL Spirit. The only way we could escape her was to take our phone off the hook every night before we went to sleep, and replace it in the morning. Otherwise, she woke us up at all hours. She is obviously a disturbed person. We think NCL has shared our info with her. We think they have certain affiliates with whom they share customer info. Has anyone else had an experience like this? I wrote to NCL and complained, but I have never heard back from them--no acknowledgment, no apology.
Washington State
21 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by smallperson
We booked a cruise on NCL about 8 weeks ago, and we used a credit card in my husband's name that we had not used in a long time. Immediately, we began to get harassing phone calls from a telemarketer in Kingston, Jamaica, who called herself "Mrs. King," probably not her real name. We could not block her phone calls because they were from overseas. She called us at all hours of the day and night, and was trying to sell us balloons, flowers, and other junk for our cabin on the NCL Spirit. The only way we could escape her was to take our phone off the hook every night before we went to sleep, and replace it in the morning. Otherwise, she woke us up at all hours. She is obviously a disturbed person. We think NCL has shared our info with her. We think they have certain affiliates with whom they share customer info. Has anyone else had an experience like this? I wrote to NCL and complained, but I have never heard back from them--no acknowledgment, no apology.
That's horrible!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

**PAST CRUISES**
2010 - Nov 19-20, Norwegian Star
2011 - Jan 21-23, Disney Wonder
Ohio
2 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by daun0
I just attempted to pre register (it's mandatory)with my NCL cruise and the website that they want me to use is NOT ENCRYPTED. I'm stunned by this, as they want my passport numbers and a lot of personal information. Can you believe this? I sure hope that they have an alternative available, because in this day & age, that's ridiculous! Maybe you'll tell me not to be paranoid, but I once had a key logger attempt to steal $1800 from my account online, so I am NOT going to risk this.
Oh Brother, look behind you...BOO !!!
East Texas/Arkansas border
675 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by smeyer418
well if he gives you his extension at NCL and you call the main number and are transferred to him...do you think he works there or is it like Charade and you can only call during lunch hour(you have to remember the movie to know what I mean)

but thanks for the heads up

Once upon a time, (former cruise TA) I had an ex-wife call to cancel a cruise for her ex-husband and fiance. It was their honeymoon cruise. Fortunately, she did NOT have the booking number & couldn't give any details to prove she was the female on the reservation. I called the client & the irate ex had called ALL of the wedding vendors & cancelled everything from flowers to church. It was only because she didn't have the booking number that I questioned with whom I was speaking. She obviously knew the date of sailing & other pertinent details.

And it's just too easy these days for would be thieves to find out who is home & who is gone on vacation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kat

I cannot control the thoughts, feelings, or actions of others. I can only control my response. SOMETIMES.

1,617 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Originally posted by boeckli
Click on the little red warning triangle in the top right corner of the post in question and ask the moderators to remove the relevant details from your post.
Cool! As I was reading along I was wondering what the answer was going to be. I didn't know about that little red warning triangle either ... that's for the tip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The Best Part of Cruising is ...... CRUISING!!!!!!
Miami Florida
2 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by LauraS
I realize that a few recently-registered members have offered their assistance to you, claiming to be NCL Employees. Since you have NO WAY OF ACTUALLY VERIFYING their employment with any cruise line and anyone can lay claim to to being even the King of England if they want, PLEASE DO NOT POST your personal information on the boards.

We aren't trying to discredit anyone who actually does work at NCL. But they must understand the venue in which they are participating.....anonymous. I'm sure they are really only trying to help, but offers of "customer service" really don't belong on this forum, and would only encourage those who aren't sincere in posting in a copycat manner.

Laura
I currently work for Norwegian Cruise Line and it is actually quite easy for anyone to have an employee verified by calling the general number on the website and asking the rep to look them up in Outlook, the email program we use. Also, all of our emails end in @ncl.com.

Hope this helps.

Ps I can verify employment if needed.
Kawerau NZ
5,137 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by LauraS
It is of the utmost importance that EACH AND EVERY ONE of you guard your personal information VERY carefully when posting on these, as well as other, message board forums.
Laura
Is there any way that CC can build into their application to join, both at the top and the bottom, a warning that at no time should the applicant's actual email address be used within a message.

The easiest way is to write at or dot rather than use @ or .

Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike
Pom by Birth; Coin-Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice; Canuck by Family Ties.

Contact at "casofilia @ xtra . co . nz" (Miss out the gaps)

Previous Cruises:-
#1 Sep 13 Alaska Sapphire Princess
#2 Mar 14 Hawai'i PoA
#3,4,5 Oct 14 Vancouver-Panama-Miami-Bahamas Pearl
#6,7 May 15 Norway & Baltic Star
#8,9 Sep 15 Quebec-Boston-Quebec Dawn
#10,11 Mar 16 Buenos Aires-San Francisco Sun
#12,13 Oct 16 Rome-Singapore Star

#14 Jun 17 Round Britain Caribbean Princess

Jul 17 Dover-New York Sea Princess (Via North Norway & Iceland)

Oct 17 Honolulu-Sydney Jewel
Feb 18 Sydney- Tokyo Jewel

Sep 18 Round Australia Sea Princess

Southern California
37,525 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by Nagoop
Was wandering if any one who stayed in cabin 9002 forward or penthouse in very back in 8130 did they hear any noise from bar/bowling alley which is directly below this room
So, did you ever get a reply to your question?

Do you know that this thread became ten years old at the end of last month?

I tell people to be careful about using their real name or posting their email address, and how to post it if they need to post their real email address, and some of them get mad at me.
981 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
I would also suggest not posting your email address and creating one for each cruise that way you use it for a year between when you book and sail but just for posting on boards and emailing people/businesses about the cruise after that just drop the address. With many pay providers you can create several email addresses and delete them when you are done cruising.
Boca Raton FL
147 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by nyslb49
i posted my reservation number do you think i should be worried about that call ncl and let them know possibly change the number or am i okay?
Don't ever post your reservation number on ANY boards..I sent my cabin number to roll call last year for a cruise we were going on and the roll call person very nicely deleted it for privacy reasons..
Perth, Western Australia
805 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
I am seeing many more posters supplying their surnames in posts; they obviously have not read up on posting guidelines. And yes, still the old problem of giving their proper email address instead of "whoever at gmail dot com".
Southern California
37,525 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by Port Power
I am seeing many more posters supplying their surnames in posts; they obviously have not read up on posting guidelines. And yes, still the old problem of giving their proper email address instead of "whoever at gmail dot com".
I've given that suggestion only to be attacked by someone. You don't what to follow the suggestion, don't. By don't complain when unwanted trouble suddenly shows up at your door (or computer).
Kawerau NZ
5,137 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Give advice like that but don't expect it to be followed!! We can't help those who don't want to be helped but don't stop trying please.
Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike
Pom by Birth; Coin-Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice; Canuck by Family Ties.

Contact at "casofilia @ xtra . co . nz" (Miss out the gaps)

Previous Cruises:-
#1 Sep 13 Alaska Sapphire Princess
#2 Mar 14 Hawai'i PoA
#3,4,5 Oct 14 Vancouver-Panama-Miami-Bahamas Pearl
#6,7 May 15 Norway & Baltic Star
#8,9 Sep 15 Quebec-Boston-Quebec Dawn
#10,11 Mar 16 Buenos Aires-San Francisco Sun
#12,13 Oct 16 Rome-Singapore Star

#14 Jun 17 Round Britain Caribbean Princess

Jul 17 Dover-New York Sea Princess (Via North Norway & Iceland)

Oct 17 Honolulu-Sydney Jewel
Feb 18 Sydney- Tokyo Jewel

Sep 18 Round Australia Sea Princess