Antarctica vs. Alaska

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:32 AM.
Sydney Aus
1,145 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Read this blog under the section route
http://www.gotravelyourway.com/2013/.../#.VhCzl7TI7vg

I was asked by no less than 3 people in the last 3 weeks which hotel did we stay at in Antarctica....

So I have no surprises that people are that naive... especially if its been booked by a couple and either he or the travel agent have planned it

(It was similar on safari in Africa.... oh no one told me we would see lions and elephants)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Clipper Cyclades 2005
Silver Cloud North Sea 2006
Seabourn Sojourn Baltic 2013
Seabourn Quest Antartica 2014

Sydney Aus
1,145 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by digitl
Well, I've searched and searched the 'View out the Boeing 747' photograph they posted but I can't find any Polar Bears!

I think I did find Wally, though!!
Yeah that was the poster
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Clipper Cyclades 2005
Silver Cloud North Sea 2006
Seabourn Sojourn Baltic 2013
Seabourn Quest Antartica 2014

3,021 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by MrsWaldo
Read this blog under the section route
http://www.gotravelyourway.com/2013/.../#.VhCzl7TI7vg
What a ridiculous post! There is no way that photo was taken out of a plane flying, probably, at 35K feet.

And polar bears in Antarctica? That is TOO funny.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My travel blogs --
personal travel blog - Travel Snippets and More
general travel info blog - Travel Ideas. Travel Hints. Travel Warnings.

Sydney, Australia
121 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by diane.in.ny
What a ridiculous post! There is no way that photo was taken out of a plane flying, probably, at 35K feet.

And polar bears in Antarctica? That is TOO funny.
I need to tell it is true that the Sydney to Johannesburg Qantas flight flies over Antarctica. I flew on it this year on October 8 and took many photos from the plane out the window. One could see the blue sea against the ice. I was amazing! We flew over it for about 30 minutes with everyone in the plane being fascinated and standing up by the windows. We could not get enough of it.

I think his saying that with a bit iuck, you might see a polar bear was a joke. Of course, one could not see a polar bear at that height!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
TOTAL DAYS - 250
Zaandam - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso 10-31 January, 2017 21 days
Carnival Imagination - Long Beach to Santa Catalina and Ensenada - 4 days - 23-27 August, 2015
Alaska Southbound - Whittier to Vancouver 19th July, 2014 - 7 days
Gemini Star cruise (1994) Asia - 14 days
Greek island cruise (1975) - 14 days
P & O Cruise to nowhere (1970) - Australia - 4 days
Southern Cross (1965/6) Panama Canal, Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia - 28 days
Spanish Ship (1965) Southampton, Bay of Biscay, Santander (Spain), Casablanca, Canary Islands, Aruba, Venezuela, Panama City - 45 days
Greek ship (1964) Haifa (Israel), Cyprus, Rhodes, Piraeus - 14 days
P & O Himalaya (1964) Australia, Sri Lanka, Mumbai, Port Said, Suez Canal, Naples - 36 days
Seven Seas (German ship) (1961) Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, New Caledonia, Fiji, Samoa - 30 days
Cruise up the Shannon River, Ireland (2006)14 days
Sailed from St Martin to Antigua (1990) 14 days
Sailed off the coast of Turkey (1988) 14 days
No of countries visited: 151
9,721 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by Estelle8
I think his saying that with a bit iuck, you might see a polar bear was a joke. Of course, one could not see a polar bear at that height!
Of course, one could not see a polar bear from any height in Antarctica.
California
2,034 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by PerfectlyPerth

We had a woman on board my 3rd trip who - on the second landing (a shore with a mere 20,000 penguins) - got off the zodiac and glared at me and said "is this all it is everyday, putting all the heavy gear on then just getting on these rubber boats and standing around here? Is this the same place as yesterday?"

I said "no yesterday was a different location - seals and albatross, no penguins, and yes really truly this is what we are doing several times a day for the next 3 weeks".

She sighed and got back on the zodiac and demanded to be taken back to the ship !

One has to wonder what she thought she had spent $30,000 on.
I'm curious if you know..... Did she do any more zodiac expeditions or did she just spend the rest of the trip on board the ship?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess, October 2014 (CA Coastal - SF, Ensenada, Long Beach, San Diego, Santa Barbara - SF)
Sapphire Princess, September, 2012 (Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers)
NCL, Norwegian Pearl, April, 2010 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Sun, April, 2009 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Coral Princess, May, 2008 (Repo SF to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Star, May, 2007 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Carnival Paradise, Nov. 2005 (LA to Ensenada)
MS Karamzin, July, 1996 (Volga - Moscow to St. Petersburg - Russian River Cruise)
HAL Rotterdam, July 1993 (Alaska)
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
652 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Smokeyham
I'm curious if you know..... Did she do any more zodiac expeditions or did she just spend the rest of the trip on board the ship?
I don't recollect seeing her on shore during many landings at all. Her husband always went ashore. I got the impression it was his holiday and his interest - he really could have saved a fortune and sent her on a $3000 Bahama's cruise in the meantime.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Antarctica
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Other regions: too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean), Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean),
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

California
2,034 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by PerfectlyPerth
I don't recollect seeing her on shore during many landings at all. Her husband always went ashore. I got the impression it was his holiday and his interest - he really could have saved a fortune and sent her on a $3000 Bahama's cruise in the meantime.
Sounds like that would have been a better choice for all involved!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess, October 2014 (CA Coastal - SF, Ensenada, Long Beach, San Diego, Santa Barbara - SF)
Sapphire Princess, September, 2012 (Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers)
NCL, Norwegian Pearl, April, 2010 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Sun, April, 2009 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Coral Princess, May, 2008 (Repo SF to Vancouver)
NCL, Norwegian Star, May, 2007 (Repo LA to Vancouver)
Carnival Paradise, Nov. 2005 (LA to Ensenada)
MS Karamzin, July, 1996 (Volga - Moscow to St. Petersburg - Russian River Cruise)
HAL Rotterdam, July 1993 (Alaska)