Which Antarctica cruise?

celoplyr

So I really want to go to Antarctica next winter, partly because I really want to step foot on all 7 continents, but I'm also a huge photographer. I loved the Galapagos for that reason (nature and wildlife). Price isn't a huge consideration, but I am still working, so time off is a problem.

I think I narrowed it down to two cruises. One is the vavilov "crossing the circle". It's 12 days, starts in the Falkands (for an afternoon) and flies from King George back. The second is ocean endeavor (I think) South Georgia, falkland and crossing the circle. It's 23 days (including xmas) and starts in Ushuaia.

Each have the same amount of time on the continent. Each has the ability to camp (if possible).

The vavilov is a smaller ship (<100) and is cheaper, and with a time frame where I wouldn't miss xmas, but probably wouldn't be too difficult to get off from work. Obviously, falklands and South Georgia are not really included, but I'd have a taste (and I can always go back and just do those).

The other ship has a private room (which is nice) but is obviously more expensive. And is 200 passengers. The length is possibly difficult to get off from work, and I would miss Christmas with my family. I also am prone to seasickness so the flight isn't my ideal, but neither is the boat. But it does include South Georgia which I've read is where the wildlife is.

Also, on a completely different question, the parka from the cruise lines, is it possible to get a non-down one? I'm highly allergic to down. Otherwise I'll have to find one in Arizona!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree to go to the TA forum. There are two things which jump out for me: 1. flying from King George and back. This is risky as weather can cancel flights. Make sure you have full insurance if you do this.

2. You will miss South Georgia on your first option. I missed it too but those who have been say it is a must see.

Do not worry so much about the size of the ship as they do a great job of juggling. Mind you the ship I was on had about 130 passengers, and often there were less than 100 going to shore as there were kayakers, people who took zodiac cruises and people who did not want to go ashore for various reasons.

So I really want to go to Antarctica next winter, partly because I really want to step foot on all 7 continents, but I'm also a huge photographer. I loved the Galapagos for that reason (nature and wildlife). Price isn't a huge consideration, but I am still working, so time off is a problem.

I think I narrowed it down to two cruises. One is the vavilov "crossing the circle". It's 12 days, starts in the Falkands (for an afternoon) and flies from King George back. The second is ocean endeavor (I think) South Georgia, falkland and crossing the circle. It's 23 days (including xmas) and starts in Ushuaia.

Each have the same amount of time on the continent. Each has the ability to camp (if possible).

The vavilov is a smaller ship (<100) and is cheaper, and with a time frame where I wouldn't miss xmas, but probably wouldn't be too difficult to get off from work. Obviously, falklands and South Georgia are not really included, but I'd have a taste (and I can always go back and just do those).

The other ship has a private room (which is nice) but is obviously more expensive. And is 200 passengers. The length is possibly difficult to get off from work, and I would miss Christmas with my family. I also am prone to seasickness so the flight isn't my ideal, but neither is the boat. But it does include South Georgia which I've read is where the wildlife is.

Also, on a completely different question, the parka from the cruise lines, is it possible to get a non-down one? I'm highly allergic to down. Otherwise I'll have to find one in Arizona!

What I did.

Antarctica

Antarctic Barbecue

While the Vav is a nice smaller vessel - pick the itinerary with SGI & FI - you will not regret it one iota.

The parka provided by Quark to keep is a 2 in one and does not contain down. https://shop.quarkexpeditions.com/products/quark-parka

Christmas happens at the same time every year - how often do you get a once in a life time voyage ? To me its a very easy decision.

Seasickness - speak to your doctor about the most suitable remedy and try them out long before the trip so you can suss out any particular side effects.

Agree that you can afford it both money-wise and time-wise, pick the longer trip that goes to Falklands and South Georgia. Both these places are a photographer's delight (while being utterly different from one another), particularly if you are interested in wildlife. Even if the ship is bigger, the time you spend on board waiting for your turn to go ashore, while anchored in breathtaking places, will not be wasted. The time spent at sea will not be wasted either. So if you can find the time, for me it's a no brainer;

Seasickness - speak to your doctor about the most suitable remedy and try them out long before the trip so you can suss out any particular side effects.

This is a very important comment. Don't wait until you think you need seasickness medicine to take it. I have had people that were sicker with the patch on then off, so see how medicine affects you before you get on a ship. All medicines have side effects. Different medicines bother different people with side effects in different ways so know how Meclizine i.e makes you feel on land. How sleepy you get etc.

Agree that you can afford it both money-wise and time-wise, pick the longer trip that goes to Falklands and South Georgia. Both these places are a photographer's delight (while being utterly different from one another), particularly if you are interested in wildlife. Even if the ship is bigger, the time you spend on board waiting for your turn to go ashore, while anchored in breathtaking places, will not be wasted. The time spent at sea will not be wasted either. So if you can find the time, for me it's a no brainer;

I think that's my biggest fear- affording it money and time wise. 23 days plus travel days is more than I realistically can take (with a family trip in the summer I'm already committed to). I'm 34, and so this probably won't be my last opportunity for an amazing trip, and I'm thinking about just taking another FI/SG tour later. The vavilov would allow me a quick taste to see how wrong I am ;) however, I'm hoping that my life moves enough that pushing off the trip another year wouldn't be good (like I won't be single in 2019 and would be more constricted for money).

I also don't want to cram and hit travel fatigue. I get that fairly often. I think I'm leaning towards the Vavilov, and figuring out a way to do the rest at a later time.

That being said- is it going to get boring after 12 days? I've never stayed that long in one hotel/boat when traveling. Would a shorter trip be better? I think 2 weeks is my max, but I can go shorter.

That being said- is it going to get boring after 12 days? I've never stayed that long in one hotel/boat when traveling. Would a shorter trip be better? I think 2 weeks is my max, but I can go shorter.

My shortest Antarctica trip was 23 days - the longest was 33, others were 30 and 31. The 23 day one felt too fast for me !

There is no physical way to be bored if you have an interest in the environment you are in. You will be out on decks watching bergs, albatross, petrels, whales, you will be in the lecture room learning about the things you are going to see, you will be dining with fellow passengers and lecturers and guides, and chatting with them about what you just saw or what you are about to see.

Well I guess I have to take the shorter cruise, my boss flat out vetoed the longer one. Says he can't live without me for 3 weeks straight. I thought that may be a huge factor!

Now to find the money for it ;-)

I was going to add definitely the smaller ship.

South Georgia was one of the highlights of my life. It was amazing. But we cannot do everything all at once.

And walking on the continent was also amazing.

I'd go for the smaller ship as you get double the excursions. And less time but more excursions wins ever time for me.

Raina

Well I guess I have to take the shorter cruise, my boss flat out vetoed the longer one. Says he can't live without me for 3 weeks straight. I thought that may be a huge factor!

Now to find the money for it ;-)

Time to get a better boss !!!

As you are a photographer, tell your boss that you need a minimum of three weeks leave and include Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica. You won't regret it!

BTW Fram's jackets weren't lined with down, more shells, which acted as a warm windbreak.

Study Trip Advisor's thread on Antartica to help you make your decision.

My trip was my 7th continent also, but the thrill didn't compare with the spectacular wildlife.

Fram's jacket are, in our opinion, not warm. Windproof and waterproof, but not warm.

Does anyone know about the Silversea jackets? There is suuposed to be an out shell and an inner jacket? Are they qarm enough, or should I plan on wearing my expedition weight underware?

Does anyone know about the Silversea jackets? There is suuposed to be an out shell and an inner jacket? Are they qarm enough, or should I plan on wearing my expedition weight underware?

My info about Silversea jackets is dated ... I don't recall that the outer shell could be separated from the inner. They were plenty warm, but as with any polar-region voyage, I would suggest having layers that you can put on/remove under the jacket should it become necessary.

If the jackets are similar to what they provide on Seabourn (an assumption I am making because it is the same supplier) then I will tell you they are two pieces with the inner piece being a light to medium weight puffer jacket ( no shape and not too well made IMHO) and a very nice outer layer parka with large pockets and a good hood. And hopefully like Seabourn Silversea also provides a nice wool knotted cap that fits nicely under the hood (ours sported a cute penguin in the design). I wore my thermal layer under the jacket and I was fine. As to fit I wear US size 4 and ordered a small. I could have traded it for an extra small as it was a little large but I wanted to have full movement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Fram's jacket are, in our opinion, not warm. Windproof and waterproof, but not warm.

I agree. I guess I meant "warm" in the context that they keep the cold wind blowing through you. Not warm and cozy as the down parka I wore underneath on extra cold days, plus thermal underwear.

I recently wore mine every day during a visit to Kangaroo Island, SA, which is cold to a Queenslander, and it did its job of keeping me warm and dry.

I agree. I guess I meant "warm" in the context that they keep the cold wind blowing through you. Not warm and cozy as the down parka I wore underneath on extra cold days, plus thermal underwear.

I recently wore mine every day during a visit to Kangaroo Island, SA, which is cold to a Queenslander, and it did its job of keeping me warm and dry.

We'll be in Australia this time next year and will most likely be visiting Kangaroo Island. We have used our Fram jackets on quite a few trips away from our polar trips but never imagined that they might be needed there!

We'll be in Australia this time next year and will most likely be visiting Kangaroo Island. We have used our Fram jackets on quite a few trips away from our polar trips but never imagined that they might be needed there!

I wore my Fram parka when I went bush walking every day, because it was cool early in the morning, with the occasional shower. (I had a heater on in my cabin whenever I was inside, as I wasn't very successful with the wood fire. Being from the sub tropics, I don't own much outer warm clothing suitable for bush walking.)

I wore my Fram parka (the light blue one, I don't know about the new version) in various area of the world including France; Norway, Queensland and even French Polynesia. As it's doing a wonderful job of being waterproof and windproof while actually not being warm, it's my clothing of choice to carry along when there is a chance of rain and wind. In a cooler place I wear one or several layers underneath, in warmer climate just a tshirt. A very handy piece of clothing.

I've seen people wearing the light blue one around Norway (probably after a Svalbard trip, since that's fairly common in this neck of the woods). However, the new style with the blue jacket and the fluorescent yellow hood? I can only imagine myself wearing it for something like sailing, where the extreme visibility doesn't seem so out of place! Haha! Honestly, I haven't worn it since I tried it on the ship. The cut doesn't fit me all that well, and I have a few windproof/waterproof shells that I love, so I probably should have just skipped it. Does Hurtigruten offer a shipboard credit in lieu of the jacket?

Apparently GAdventures will give you credit in the onboard shop if you already have their parka. I didn't know this, so I came home from my last expedition with a G parka, but that one is surprisingly cozy (it has a removable synthetic-down inner jacket). I didn't wear it much on the trip, because I preferred my uninsulated shell for landings and an ultrawarm parka for zodiac cruises and windy days on deck. But I found the G parka quite cozy the few times I wore it to blend in to the crowd! ;)

I've seen people wearing the light blue one around Norway (probably after a Svalbard trip, since that's fairly common in this neck of the woods). However, the new style with the blue jacket and the fluorescent yellow hood? I can only imagine myself wearing it for something like sailing, where the extreme visibility doesn't seem so out of place! Haha! Honestly, I haven't worn it since I tried it on the ship. The cut doesn't fit me all that well, and I have a few windproof/waterproof shells that I love, so I probably should have just skipped it. Does Hurtigruten offer a shipboard credit in lieu of the jacket?

Apparently GAdventures will give you credit in the onboard shop if you already have their parka. I didn't know this, so I came home from my last expedition with a G parka, but that one is surprisingly cozy (it has a removable synthetic-down inner jacket). I didn't wear it much on the trip, because I preferred my uninsulated shell for landings and an ultrawarm parka for zodiac cruises and windy days on deck. But I found the G parka quite cozy the few times I wore it to blend in to the crowd! ;)

I must admit I didn't think I would ever reuse my Fram parka either. But it was perfect for my morning bushwalking in a national park in Kangaroo Island, where I didn't see a sole.