tunis

smokin tiger

going to tunis in march with ncl is there anything to do around port area or is it safer to take a tour with ship.

I'm chiming in, only to say WE have questions about Tunis also.

We chose to go with a NCL excursion, in April 2014.

Soon, we hope to be seeing reviews from recent NCL pax that have just finished their Western Mediterranean Cruises.

And with the Tunisian government/politics in flux, I'm sure NCL will watching closely.

Soon, we hope to be seeing reviews from recent NCL pax that have just finished their Western Mediterranean Cruises.

And with the Tunisian government/politics in flux, I'm sure NCL will watching closely.

http://www.eturbonews.com/40498/tourism-egypt-and-tunisia-shows-signs-recovery

I was in Tunisia for two weeks in late October/early November. It is perfectly safe unless there were to be some additional inflammatory event which no one can predict.

Two of us, both women, walked around Tunis near our hotel, which was very centrally located and near the medina. It was very safe (though you don't see many women eating at any of the many streetside restaurants...)

As for the port (also visited Tunis on two cruises, in 2012 and 2011), there is not much to do near it, but you can take the local train to a stop near Carthage (Byrsa Hill) and see it on your own if you want. Alternatively, there are taxis lined up and a board that gives set rates for various tours ranging from a couple of hours to a day.

• 1 month later...
going to tunis in march with ncl is there anything to do around port area or is it safer to take a tour with ship.

WE are still looking for NEW Tunis reviews.

I cannot find any posted on Cruise Critic.

Has anyone who's been there recently have any comments?

WE are still looking for NEW Tunis reviews.

I cannot find any posted on Cruise Critic.

Has anyone who's been there recently have any comments?

We did an excursion in November 2013. There is not a lot to see and do in the Port area. I did a fair amount of research and was not confident that we could train it on our own, with our kids, into the city.

We did a tour with a man named Noureddine. There were 52 on our bus and we arranged it all together through Cruise Critic roll call. I think we paid 14EU pp. We spent the day touring the Carthage ruins, visiting the Souk, lunch in La Goulette and then a short visit out to Sidi Said. It was the perfect amount of time in each place becaue we had the two teen girls with us. If it were me on my own, I would have loved more time in the Souk area but that's just me.

Melissa

I was in Tunisia for two weeks in late October/early November. It is perfectly safe unless there were to be some additional inflammatory event which no one can predict.

Two of us, both women, walked around Tunis near our hotel, which was very centrally located and near the medina. It was very safe (though you don't see many women eating at any of the many streetside restaurants...)

As for the port (also visited Tunis on two cruises, in 2012 and 2011), there is not much to do near it, but you can take the local train to a stop near Carthage (Byrsa Hill) and see it on your own if you want. Alternatively, there are taxis lined up and a board that gives set rates for various tours ranging from a couple of hours to a day.

I understand what you are saying.

However, there is a difference between safe and mistreated.

In the medina (shopping area), I have found that it is "rude" to show an interest in an item, and then not buy it.

In this culture, once you pick something up and ask the price, the vendor assumes it's sold; just a matter of negotiating (the price).

If you try to leave, chances are, he will try to pull you back in for the sale.

If you leave empty handed, he is considered a disgraced and failed salesman.

So it's your fault if he starts swearing at you and tries to make you feel bad.(?)

Edited by $hip$hape

We did an excursion in November 2013. There is not a lot to see and do in the Port area. I did a fair amount of research and was not confident that we could train it on our own, with our kids, into the city.

We did a tour with a man named Noureddine. There were 52 on our bus and we arranged it all together through Cruise Critic roll call. I think we paid 14EU pp. We spent the day touring the Carthage ruins, visiting the Souk, lunch in La Goulette and then a short visit out to Sidi Said. It was the perfect amount of time in each place becaue we had the two teen girls with us. If it were me on my own, I would have loved more time in the Souk area but that's just me.

Melissa

Melissa,

Thanks for your reply.

I think we will just stick with the ship's excursion to the Bardo Museum.

We are in Tunis next month with MSC. The ship only docks for 5 hours, so I'm not sure if that indicates how MSC feels about the port of call. No excursions on the website so we'll have to wait and see if anything is offered onboard.

We have done Tunis before, in 2008, so well before any unrest. The port area is very industrial although I believe there's a new "Disney" style Tunisian experience in the port which includes shops, spa facilities and even the opportunity is ride a camel along the dock side.

We did a ship excursion with Costa in 2008 to the old Tunisian burial ground and then onto Carthage. The Roman ruins are spectacular, but I'm a Roman Empire geek. IMO it's well worth a visit. Then onto a souk, were I have to say, I had an unpleasant experience with a stall holder. As $hip$hape (great screen name) said, just be aware of the cutuaral differences around shopping and you'll be fine. I behaved differently in Egypt (at the pyramids)

ImageUploadedByForums1391907295.595199.jpg.362ccfa2d2a00b315dec5f371c16fc1b.jpg

I love this picture.

And everything was fine.

I'll report back on next months visit.

Edited by papcx

I understand what you are saying.

However, there is a difference between safe and mistreated.

In the medina (shopping area), I have found that it is "rude" to show an interest in an item, and then not buy it.

In this culture, once you pick something up and ask the price, the vendor assumes it's sold; just a matter of negotiating (the price).

If you try to leave, chances are, he will try to pull you back in for the sale.

If you leave empty handed, he is considered a disgraced and failed salesman.

So it's your fault if he starts swearing at you and tries to make you feel bad.(?)

I am not sure I get what you are saying. Did you have a bad experience? Norms are different in different countries. In most places where true souks/bazaars still exist, the norm is that you do not get down to serious bargaining for an item unless you intend to purchase it. However, I've never encountered a situation where casually looking at an item requires you to buy it -- and I have visited souks in several places in Tunisia, as well as Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and Turkey.

I am not sure I get what you are saying. Did you have a bad experience? Norms are different in different countries. In most places where true souks/bazaars still exist, the norm is that you do not get down to serious bargaining for an item unless you intend to purchase it.

However, I've never encountered a situation where casually looking at an item requires you to buy it -- and I have visited souks in several places in Tunisia, as well as Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and Turkey.

Yes, we have had more than one "experience".

It's good to know that you have never encountered a situation.

Look but don't touch.

It is safe, but some traders will hassle you just because you have touched an item.

Some will try to put a "free gift" in your hand... don't fall for it.

Also, if you try anything on, they assume you will buy it.

My experience has been, this is the norm.

It can get on your nerves to be grabbed and talked to all the time, not being able to look

at the things. You have to know what you want, to not being talked into buying crap.

Or when lost, ask and being pointed in the wrong direction.

It is not all relaxing shopping.... but still a must.

Edited by $hip$hape

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

My husband and I will be on a cruise that will stop in Tunisia on April 26th for the day. After much much searching on CC, I found this tour guide who received great reviews from the few people who had posted.

I can't say yet how the tour will be obviously, but I can report that Ben is very responsive and for the tour he is proposing, very reasonable in cost. He answered my email within 24 hours. I have posted his response to me which gives information about the tour. I put it on my roll call and we have 5 people who are going with us that day. I hope this helps some of you. This will be our first time in Northern Africa and I didn't want to miss this experience!

Good morning dear Candy,

Welcome to Tunisia with Dale and your travel mates.

Thank you for your confidence,I'll be pleased to provide you the service needed :

A day tour on Saturday,April the 26th. 2014

May I suggest to you the following program that you may post at cruise critics & H.A.L. Eurodam roll call if you wish to make a small group of 6/8 participants.

** 07:30/08:00 a.m Meet with the Guide at the parking facing La Goulette cruise terminal main gate:

Drive to Carthage

** Visit to the archaeological site and museum.

- Visit of the Roman and Punic remains on the Byrsa hill

- Visit of the archaeological museum.

- Stop at the Roman water storage and aqueduct.

- Stop at the tophet ( Punic sanctuary )

- Stop at the Punic harbours.

- Visit of the Roman public bath ( Antonius Pius )

** Visit to the American war cemetery ( optional )

** Visit of Sidi Bou Saïd : A charming village known to be the artists colony .

** Drive to Bardo: Visit of the National museum.

** Drive to Tunis,visit of Tunis Medina, a stroll in it's colorful " souk " (market) to experience the local atmosphere and the traditional hand craft. Possibility for shopping. ( Tiles & ceramic, leather good, carpets & rugs, antiques, spices etc.)

** Drive down town to have a rough idea about the capital of Tunisia.

** A stop in a local restaurant can be planned if you wish to sample some Tunisian dishes.

** Drive back to La Goulette port ( time to be chosen by yourself between 04:00 p.m/04:30 p.m )

The above full day private tour costs :

** For 02 persons : 110 $ per person.

** From 03 to 04 pers. : 90 $ per person.

** From 05 to 08 pers. : 80 $ per person.

** From 09 to 15 pers. : 70 $ per person.

The above rate of includes :

**The transportation in an a/c 05 seats car or in a/c van (micro bus). ( a 12 seats or 25 seats according to the number of participants.

** The entrance fees to the sites and museums

** The Licensed Tour Guide & Driver fees.

** A complimentary mint tea in a local coffee shop.

Are excluded all personal expenses such as meals,drinks or tips.

No deposit is needed at the booking, the full payment is due in cash in Tunis at your ease in USD or in Euros.

No cancellation fees, but you should inform me by e-mail or text message at least 3 days prior to the cruise ship arrival if for any reason you would like to cancel your booking.

As we still have a couple of months prior to your arrival,I might have requests for the same date from other guests boarding the H.A.L. Eurodam, I'll let you know and provide you their contacts.

I hope that my proposal meet your requirements,

looking forward to hearing from you,I remain at your disposal for any further information or detail you may need.

Best regards,

Ben Jebara M.Tahar

Tourism & Travel Consultant.

Prof.Licensed Tour Guide.

Tunisia.

My private web site : Click here to view

Here is his email: travelexpertunisia@gmail.com

We won't be home till May 1st and I'm not sure when I will post my cruise and port reviews. So if you want info on this particular tour, feel free to email me at canmullins2004@yahoo.com after May 1st and I can tell you how it went.

Bon Voyage!

Sunshine

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, we have had more than one "experience".

It's good to know that you have never encountered a situation.

Look but don't touch.

It is safe, but some traders will hassle you just because you have touched an item.

Some will try to put a "free gift" in your hand... don't fall for it.

Also, if you try anything on, they assume you will buy it.

My experience has been, this is the norm.

It can get on your nerves to be grabbed and talked to all the time, not being able to look

at the things. You have to know what you want, to not being talked into buying crap.

Or when lost, ask and being pointed in the wrong direction.

It is not all relaxing shopping.... but still a must.

Here's an article (below) about the Tunis Medina's souks.

http://www.tunisia-live.net/2014/03/05/business-in-the-medina-not-as-vibrant-as-its-storefronts/

"What was once the economic and social hub of Tunis before French colonization is now

a picturesque market of window shoppers, who may not always be willing to spend.

Storekeepers blame both a dwindling numbers of tourists and a lack of interest in traditional products for feeble earnings."

Of course, nothing is said about their (lack of) sales techniques.

From today's news:

http://www.jpost.com/LandedPages/PrintArticle.aspx?id=344872

Israeli tourists on cruise prevented from disembarking in Tunis

By JTA

10/03/2014

Passengers were told quietly by staff aboard Norwegian ship that they were not welcome per the Tunisian government during the stop.

Israeli tourists traveling on a Norwegian cruise ship were prevented from disembarking at a stop at the Port of Tunis.

The Israeli passengers were told quietly by staff aboard the Norwegian Jade that they were not welcome per the Tunisian government during the stop, B’nai Brith Canada said in a statement Sunday. The organization had been contacted by a Jewish Canadian passenger on the ship.

There were about 20 Israelis on board the ship, according to Haaretz. They did not know in advance that they would be required to remain on the ship during the day-long stop.

Jewish passengers who were not Israeli were permitted to disembark in Tunis.

“The cruise line had a responsibility to its passengers and advise them of this discriminatory policy in advance. Better still the cruise line should avoid ports that have such policies,” B’nai Brith Canada’s CEO, Frank Dimant said in a statement.

From today's news:

By JTA

10/03/2014

Passengers were told quietly by staff aboard Norwegian ship that they were not welcome per the Tunisian government during the stop.

Israeli tourists traveling on a Norwegian cruise ship were prevented from disembarking at a stop at the Port of Tunis.

The Israeli passengers were told quietly by staff aboard the Norwegian Jade that they were not welcome per the Tunisian government during the stop, B’nai Brith Canada said in a statement Sunday. The organization had been contacted by a Jewish Canadian passenger on the ship.

There were about 20 Israelis on board the ship, according to Haaretz. They did not know in advance that they would be required to remain on the ship during the day-long stop.

“The cruise line had a responsibility to its passengers and advise them of this discriminatory policy in advance. Better still the cruise line should avoid ports that have such policies,” B’nai Brith Canada’s CEO, Frank Dimant said in a statement.

"Yaacov Zacharia of Tel Aviv, one of the Israelis on board, said he was “extremely offended” when he was told just hours before planning to disembark in Tunis that he was barred from doing so.

“It was one of the most unpleasant experiences I’ve had,” he told Haaretz by telephone from Palermo, Italy - the next stop on the cruise. He and his wife, Rachel, had decided to go on the cruise with the full understanding that the stop in Tunis was part of the package. “It was one of the reasons we chose it - the experience of visiting Tunisia. We’ve visited many of the European ports of call before.”"

Did he have the required entry visa?

Pax are responsible for required paperwork.

"Yaacov Zacharia of Tel Aviv, one of the Israelis on board, said he was “extremely offended” when he was told just hours before planning to disembark in Tunis that he was barred from doing so.

“It was one of the most unpleasant experiences I’ve had,” he told Haaretz by telephone from Palermo, Italy - the next stop on the cruise. He and his wife, Rachel, had decided to go on the cruise with the full understanding that the stop in Tunis was part of the package. “It was one of the reasons we chose it - the experience of visiting Tunisia. We’ve visited many of the European ports of call before.”"

Did he have the required entry visa?

Pax are responsible for required paperwork.

It certainly seems like they did, both from the passengers' reactions, and from the fact that NCL has offered them compensation. Please see my response on this relevant thread on the NCL board:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2005294&page=2

Ruth

Just posted by NCL on their FB page:

"Norwegian Cruise Line

21 minutes ago ·

The government of Tunisia refused to allow Israeli nationals the right to disembark Norwegian Jade in the Port of La Goulette, Tunis on Sunday, March 9, 2014. In response to this discriminatory act, Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that it has cancelled all remaining calls to Tunisia and will not return.

“We want to send a strong message to Tunisia and ports around the world that we will not tolerate such random acts of discrimination against our guests,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s CEO. “We are outraged by this act and the fact that we were not notified in advance of this practice. We apologize sincerely to our guests who were affected and want them to know that we have taken the appropriate action in response.”

Norwegian Cruise Line employs more than 90 different nationalities and welcomes people of all nationalities aboard its vessels. The Company does not condone or tolerate discrimination of any type and with these cancellations hopes to send a message to those who do that such acts are completely unacceptable."

Yaacov Zacharia of Tel Aviv, one of the Israelis on board, said,

“It was one of the reasons we chose it - the experience of visiting Tunisia.

Along with Yaacav, it was one of the reasons WE chose this cruise.

I hope NCL's decision makes you happy.

From today's news:

By JTA

10/03/2014

JTA's followup:

http://www.jta.org/2014/03/14/news-opinion/israel-middle-east/tunisia-israelis-are-welcome-with-pre-arranged-papers

It appears that prearranged visas are a new requirement, as far as NCL and the passengers are concerned.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic Forums app.

JTA's followup:

http://www.jta.org/2014/03/14/news-opinion/israel-middle-east/tunisia-israelis-are-welcome-with-pre-arranged-papers

It appears that prearranged visas are a new requirement, as far as NCL and the passengers are concerned.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic Forums app.

Visas? We don't need no stinkin' visas !

(Sorry, I couldn't resist);

We were in Tunis in April 2013. We went with a ship's excursion, which I don't usually do, to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said, which was marketed as a quaint artists's village.

Carthage was pretty good, but a bit of a let down after Pompeii. Still worth seeing, especially if you have read a lot about it.

I heard from others that the mosaic museum is really impressive. Wish I had gone there.

Sidi about Said was a NIGHTMARE! As we walked through the gauntlet of the most aggressive peddlers I have ever seen, they kept trying to engage us in any way they could, trying to hand my kids "free" things and get to us by talking with them. One guy had a drum he held out in front of kids, saying, "tap tap, one Euro!" And I guess if a kid touched it, he would try to extort a a Euro from the parents. Men made comments to my six year old daughter, like "Hey, Barbie, where is Ken?" And "Hi, Princess, pretty eyes!" This made me very uncomfortable, and she did not know what to do with all the unwanted attention from strangers. I had to give my kids a quick lecture about not talking to anyone, not looking at anyone, and not taking flowers or anything else offered to them.

It was a shame, because there was actually some nice pottery there that I would have like to buy, but I did not even dare stop to look. It seems once you engage with them, you are expected to buy and they will harass you to no end.

Oh, and our guide pointed us to a particular pottery place that most likely gave him kickbacks. Lots of kickbacks for guides there. Remember that.

We stopped for a drink at a cafe and they would not give us a menu with prices, even though we asked three times in three different ways. They pretended not to understand. I guess you were just supposed to order drinks and find out how much they cost after you had consumed them.

So, unless that kind of "shopping" is your scene, avoid the "quaint artist's village" of Sidi about Said.

Back at the pier we bought a few small things at the shops that are there just for ships, where no one was harassing us or speaking in appropriately to my daughter, and we all rode on the camels at the dock, which my kids later said was the highlight of their cruise. Note, camel ride prices sometimes go down in the afternoon. I think it was 5 Euro each for us. The ship's photography staff will take pictures for you, too.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got home from a cruise that included Tunisia. We had an amazing tour with Taha through Tours by Locals. My one wish for that port was a camel ride. He arranged one for us on the beach at Gammarth for $15/person US. The camels were well behaved, healthy and clean. The handlers were awesome making sure we got on and off safely and one fellow took our cameras and got many good pix of all us. The ride on the beach was 45 minutes and quite comfortable. Lunch was also included in our tour and was terrific. He had pamphlets for the 10 of us at the start of the tour and all of our stops had sufficient time to enjoy the stop. Taha was very informative and his narratives also included some humour and not just a dry recitation of facts. I absolutely recommend him for Tunisia and rate him 11 plus out of 10.

We just got home from a cruise that included Tunisia. We had an amazing tour with Taha through Tours by Locals. My one wish for that port was a camel ride. He arranged one for us on the beach at Gammarth for $15/person US. The camels were well behaved, healthy and clean. The handlers were awesome making sure we got on and off safely and one fellow took our cameras and got many good pix of all us. The ride on the beach was 45 minutes and quite comfortable. Lunch was also included in our tour and was terrific. He had pamphlets for the 10 of us at the start of the tour and all of our stops had sufficient time to enjoy the stop. Taha was very informative and his narratives also included some humour and not just a dry recitation of facts. I absolutely recommend him for Tunisia and rate him 11 plus out of 10.

Thank you for your reply, and the review of your tour!

• 4 weeks later...

How was Tunis? What did you see? My husband and I are going next month with the MSC Lirica and are trying to decide what not to see because of limited time. We definitely want to visit Carthage but are trying to decide between Sidi Abu Said and the Medina. Since neither of us care about shopping we are only interested in both places because of culture and architecture.

What were your favorite places?

Thanks!

Katherine