Wild life beginning of March

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:35 PM.
#1
36 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
i just put a deposit in a 14 day antarctic trip which goes to the Shetland islands and the peninsula and hopefully crosses the circle. It departs Mar 3 and is a photography trip so I am trusting that the company would make sure they do these trips at good times of the season for photography. I expect we will see lots of whales at this time but I was also hoping we would also still see lots of penguins and youngish chicks. I am also hoping for icebergs. Is this getting too late in the season?
#2
Nova Scotia Canada
4,731 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
We went at the end of February and into March. We saw tons of fantastic icebergs, including witnessing some calving. We saw whales, including from kayaks and from the bow of the ship. We saw lots of penguins but the chicks were growing up.
#3
Palm City, Fl
4,156 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by satie37
i just put a deposit in a 14 day antarctic trip which goes to the Shetland islands and the peninsula and hopefully crosses the circle.
I am a little confused...the Shetland Islands are off the coast of Scotland. That would be closer to the Arctic...whales but no penguins.

Are there other Shetlands?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Ruby Princess 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2016 (Journey-E. Caribbean)
HAL Zaandam 2016 (BA to Santiago)

HAL Zuiderdam 2018 (Partial Canal)
HAL Maasdam 2018 (Tahiti)
#4
36 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by thinfool
I am a little confused...the Shetland Islands are off the coast of Scotland. That would be closer to the Arctic...whales but no penguins.

Are there other Shetlands?
My bad - should have specified SOUTH Shetland Islands. They are just off the top of Antarctica.
#5
36 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by maryann ns
We went at the end of February and into March. We saw tons of fantastic icebergs, including witnessing some calving. We saw whales, including from kayaks and from the bow of the ship. We saw lots of penguins but the chicks were growing up.


Thanks for sharing this. I was thinking that as it was towards the end of the season the sightings would be sparse.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
#6
UK
1,542 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
We have been at both ends of the season and saw plenty of ice, snow and wildlife. Whatever time you go you will not be disappointed. Just don't fix on seeing anything in particular. These are not called expedition trips for nothing: plans have to be, and are, re-evaluated constantly.
#7
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
652 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by digitl
We have been at both ends of the season and saw plenty of ice, snow and wildlife. Whatever time you go you will not be disappointed. Just don't fix on seeing anything in particular. These are not called expedition trips for nothing: plans have to be, and are, re-evaluated constantly.
100 %
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Antarctica
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Other regions: too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean), Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean),
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.