solar eclipse Dec 4, 2021

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:20 AM.
2 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
I have never been on an antarctic cruise but would like to do one during the solar eclipse coming on Dec 4, 2021. In your opinion would this be something that could be observed from the deck of a cruise ship? Could I expect a reasonably stable deck for good viewing?
The path of the eclipse will be an arc starting just east of the Falkland Islands curving southwards through about the middle of the Weddell Sea, then passing over the west portion of Berkner Island and the Ronne Ice Shelf, and continuing east of the Ellsworth Mountains. From there it crosses the continent over the Marie Byrd Land before heading back out to sea near the Russian station at Hull Bay (Russkaya). The eclipse then fades over the Antarctic Ocean somewhere just north of the Antarctic Circle at about 125 degrees west Longitude.
I'm guessing east of the Falklands might be the best chance for viewing? Any chance of calm seas in that area? Are there cruises to the Amundsen Sea that visit the Russian Station? Are the seas any calmer over there? The Russkaya Station is quite close to the path of maximum totality - it looks like a good place to be.
London
617 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I think you can safely assume that there will be many trips for this phenomenon. Try getting in touch with National Geographic or Hurtigruten. But release dates won't be for another year or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Van Gogh - Fjords - 2006 Athena - Iceland - 2007
Artemis - Baltic - 2008. Arcadia - Fjords - 2009
Balmoral - Spitzbergen - 2010. Zuiderdam-Alaska -2011
Balmoral - mini - 2012. Queen Victoria-mini
Rachmaninov - Moscow/St Petersburg - 2012
Oriana - Iberia - 2013. Bremen - Antarctica - 2014
Adonia - Caribbean - 2015. Expedition - Arctic - 2015
Riviera - East Med - 2015

SplendourOTSeas - Dubai-2016
Queen Victoria - CapeTown/Soton - 2016
Arcadia - Fjords - 2016
Oriana - Northern Lights 2017
London
617 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Astro-trails.com

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Van Gogh - Fjords - 2006 Athena - Iceland - 2007
Artemis - Baltic - 2008. Arcadia - Fjords - 2009
Balmoral - Spitzbergen - 2010. Zuiderdam-Alaska -2011
Balmoral - mini - 2012. Queen Victoria-mini
Rachmaninov - Moscow/St Petersburg - 2012
Oriana - Iberia - 2013. Bremen - Antarctica - 2014
Adonia - Caribbean - 2015. Expedition - Arctic - 2015
Riviera - East Med - 2015

SplendourOTSeas - Dubai-2016
Queen Victoria - CapeTown/Soton - 2016
Arcadia - Fjords - 2016
Oriana - Northern Lights 2017
2 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by simonpjd
I think you can safely assume that there will be many trips for this phenomenon. Try getting in touch with National Geographic or Hurtigruten. But release dates won't be for another year or two.

Any comment on the chance for calm seas or clear skies?
Nova Scotia Canada
4,731 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
The itineraries aren't out yet but the best place for information is here: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum...dventures.html

Have a look at the FAQs on the right.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Eden (Navimag) four nights on ferry up inner west coast of Chile, March 2016
Expedition (GAdventures) Antarctica, Feb/March 2016
Dragon's Pearl Halong Bay, Vietnam 2014
Azamara Quest Far East, March 5, 2011
Victoria Empress, Yangtze River, March 25, 2011
Azamara Quest Ancient Empires, Nov. 14, 2009

Independent land tours:
Skiing in France, then drove to Tuscany, down to Sicily and back to Lyon: March/April, 2017
Argentina and Chile - cities and Patagonia, 2016
Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and Seoul, 2014
New Zealand and Australia 2013
China 2011
Argentina and Peru, 2007
Europe, 1985, 91-92, 95, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2011
numerous in US and Canada
Guatemala and Mexico 1971, 1972
Haiti, 1970
Jamaica, 1968-71
UK
1,543 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by retubby
Any comment on the chance for calm seas or clear skies?
We have sailed to the Falklands three times. Twice it was calm, once it was a Force 12. No-one this far out can say what the weather will be like at the time of the eclipse. December is the Austral Summer so you should have a chance of clear skies but beyond that...
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
654 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
The seas can barely be predicted 3 days at a time so I am sure you are not so naive to be expecting people to predict them for you years in advance !

There will be a plethora of cruise ships and expedition ships advertising itineraries aligned with the eclipse - likely around 2 years pre date as the last one was.

I have been on icebreakers during 2 lunar eclipses and it definitely wasn't steady enough for crisp photography, day photography for a solar eclipse is somewhat easier for focusing but still no guarantee of a stable deck on the day.

Re the Amundsen Sea region - only Oceanwide does expeditions there and their next one is 2020 - but unlikely to be early December as they do Ushuaia to Bluff in January then Bluff to Ushuaia in Feb. BUT - at this stage as no one is advertising for as far ahead as 2021 - and there are several new ships being built - no one here can possibly predict what will be advertised for what region.

While its good to plan ahead - I would start by squirreling away your $$ in a high interest savings account so you are reading and rocking for the second the offers start coming out and you can slap down your deposit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Antarctica
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Other regions: too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean), Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean),
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

Los Angeles, CA
355 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by retubby
I have never been on an antarctic cruise but would like to do one during the solar eclipse coming on Dec 4, 2021. In your opinion would this be something that could be observed from the deck of a cruise ship? Could I expect a reasonably stable deck for good viewing?
The path of the eclipse will be an arc starting just east of the Falkland Islands curving southwards through about the middle of the Weddell Sea, then passing over the west portion of Berkner Island and the Ronne Ice Shelf, and continuing east of the Ellsworth Mountains. From there it crosses the continent over the Marie Byrd Land before heading back out to sea near the Russian station at Hull Bay (Russkaya). The eclipse then fades over the Antarctic Ocean somewhere just north of the Antarctic Circle at about 125 degrees west Longitude.
I'm guessing east of the Falklands might be the best chance for viewing? Any chance of calm seas in that area? Are there cruises to the Amundsen Sea that visit the Russian Station? Are the seas any calmer over there? The Russkaya Station is quite close to the path of maximum totality - it looks like a good place to be.
I have already put a deposit on a cruise that will be in the path of totality on 12/4/21 through Ring of Fire Expeditions.

Carole