Excursion to Torres del Paine National Park

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:07 AM.
Paradise, USA
628 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Has anyone done a one-day ship's excursion from Punta Areana, flying into Puerto Natales, and visiting the Torres del Paine National Park? If so, I would appreciate any comments you might offer about the value of the excursion and whether you would recommend it. Many thanks!
Florida, USA
1,254 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by notjaded
Has anyone done a one-day ship's excursion from Punta Areana, flying into Puerto Natales, and visiting the Torres del Paine National Park? If so, I would appreciate any comments you might offer about the value of the excursion and whether you would recommend it. Many thanks!

Torres Del Paine NP is a long distance from Punta Arenas and there's a better excursion. I'd recommend seeing Magdalena Island via high speed boat or ferry. Depending on your time of year, you'll see thousands of Penguins (Feb/March timeframe) raising their young. We used the high speed boat via private charter and arrived 45 minutes before the ferry that the cruise line uses. Also, our van load of folks paid half the rate of the ship plus extra time on the island. We also had time to visit Punta Arenas and get a few trinkets. Check Trip Advisor and CC for tour guides - as our trip was 2010 so couldn't recommend a tour guide for 2016/2017 cruise.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magd...allanes_Region
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
...Seeing The World, One Holiday at a Time...44 Countries, 49 US States, and 8 Territories so Far...
Norway and the North Cape (NCL Jade-6/08)
W Western Caribbean (NCL Pearl-11/08)
South America and Cape Horn (NCL Sun-2/10)
Eastern Caribbean (NCL Pearl-11/10)
Mediterranean (Barcelona, France, Monaco, Italy, Greece, Turkey (NCL Jade-4/11)
Southern Caribbean & Panama Canal (HAL Zuiderdam-11/11)
Norway, Iceland, Scotland, Ireland & The Faroe Islands (NCL Sun-9/12)
Bahamas and Florida Keys (NCL Sky - 11/12)
Alaska Northbound and Denali (NCL Sun - 5/13)

Christmas Family Cruise (NCL Dawn - 1/14) Western Caribbean
Eastern Caribbean (HAL Westerdam - 11/14)
Chile - Peru - Columbia - Panama - Ft Lauderdale (Celebrity Infinity - 3/15)
Southern Caribbean (HAL Oosterdam - 11/15)
Baltic from Copenhagen (NCL Star - 5/16)
British Isles from Southampton (NCL Jade - 5/17)
Antarctica from Ushuaia (Hurtigruten MS Midnatsol - 2/19)
**Bucket List**: Far East, Egypt, Iberian Peninsula, River Cruises in Europe
Nova Scotia Canada
4,731 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
We took a full one day bus tour into Torres del Paine from Puerto Natales. It was interesting but to me with less time because of your flight and much more money I would look at another option.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Eden (Navimag) four nights on ferry up inner west coast of Chile, March 2016
Expedition (GAdventures) Antarctica, Feb/March 2016
Dragon's Pearl Halong Bay, Vietnam 2014
Azamara Quest Far East, March 5, 2011
Victoria Empress, Yangtze River, March 25, 2011
Azamara Quest Ancient Empires, Nov. 14, 2009

Independent land tours:
Skiing in France, then drove to Tuscany, down to Sicily and back to Lyon: March/April, 2017
Argentina and Chile - cities and Patagonia, 2016
Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and Seoul, 2014
New Zealand and Australia 2013
China 2011
Argentina and Peru, 2007
Europe, 1985, 91-92, 95, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2011
numerous in US and Canada
Guatemala and Mexico 1971, 1972
Haiti, 1970
Jamaica, 1968-71
Paradise, USA
628 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by maryann ns
We took a full one day bus tour into Torres del Paine from Puerto Natales. It was interesting but to me with less time because of your flight and much more money I would look at another option.
Thank you for sharing your experience and insights!
RIDGWAY, CO
56 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Dear notjaded, I am also trying to manage a RT day from Punta Arenas to Torres Del Paine. Our cruise has an excursion but it is prohibitively expensive. It is a total gamble wi no guarantees that the weather will cooperate but I MUST try to get there. Did you have any luck?
Paradise, USA
628 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by AERIE_JMR
Dear notjaded, I am also trying to manage a RT day from Punta Arenas to Torres Del Paine. Our cruise has an excursion but it is prohibitively expensive. It is a total gamble wi no guarantees that the weather will cooperate but I MUST try to get there. Did you have any luck?
We are booked on a VERY expensive excursion with a flight. Afraid there is no other way if you Must get there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
150 days at sea. 21 more on horizon.
RIDGWAY, CO
56 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Oh so sorry to hear that. I know, Seabourn's excursion is $1200 per person. My dream has been to go for a week there but alas...don't think that will transpire. When were you there? Were you weather-lucky enough to see the massif? Was the expense worth it?
Paradise, USA
628 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by AERIE_JMR
When were you there? Were you weather-lucky enough to see the massif? Was the expense worth it?
I'll report back after we return in February...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
150 days at sea. 21 more on horizon.