Takaoka-Toyama train station to Kanazawa

Spuzzum

Has anyone taken the Ainokaze Toyama railway from the Takaoka Station to Kanazawa. Would you have any idea from which entrance you would enter and what platform you would take? How large is the station?I have found very limited info on that station.

We are on a tight schedule. Our ship does not dock till 8 am and I understand it is a 25 min trip to station. We are trying to catch the 8:59 train. Have we enough time to get there and find the correct train? I understand we can use suica cards so would not have to fiddle with ticket machine. There is no transferring required at this time slot.

The next train isn't till an Hour later.

The station is medium-sized but not that busy. Several lines run through the station including JR, so the Ainokaze Toyama can be a little hard to find.

If you follow the link to the map below (Japanese only, sorry) it says the platforms for the Ainokaze Toyama line bound for Kanazawa are #3 and #4.

https://www.jr-odekake.net/eki/img/premises/0540202.gifhttps://www.jr-odekake.net/eki/img/premises/0540202.gif

Hi Heather, we are on the Diamond Princess, we are arriving in Toyama on Saturday October 21. We are trying to find the fastest way to the train station. I appreciate any assistance you can give us.

Lois

Lois,

I'm not in Japan at the moment, so I can't just pick up the phone and get an immediate answer. However, I should have an answer for you by the end of the week once one of my sources gets back to me.

By the way, I have a Japanese friend in Takaoka who teaches English. Fun person. If you would like someone to guide you around for the day, I can ask if she is available on that day.

Another alternative would be to apply for a goodwill guide: http://kggn.sakura.ne.jp/index_e.html

Thanks Heather, we all ready have a goodwill guide that we are trying to meet in Kanazawa at 9:30 am but I know some one who might be interested in your friend. I will let her know if that is ok.

I will watch for your post. Because we are on a tight time frame it would be nice to know as much as possible before we get to Toyama

Lois

Lois,

So far, I have confirmed that there will be a shuttle to Takaoka station, and the drive time is typically ~20 minutes. I am trying to get more details about the drop-off point at the station, first and last departure times, and frequency. Will let you know when I know more.

Shuttle buses should be ready and waiting as soon as passengers begin to disembark. Most likely they will drop off on the north side of the station which is larger and closest to the port. That's a bit far from the ship, so make sure you identify your return train time with your guide before you set off for the day and aim for the one before that to give yourself a cushion. Although rare, there are sometimes accidents on the tracks that can cause delays.

Thanks again Heather.

The north side of station, would that be the entrance we would want to go in?

We were planning on catching the 4pm bus back, hope the shuttle would still be running. I don't want to be one of those people running down the dock to catch the boat.

Lois