unwanted upgrade

Reader0108598

Tedferg, Perhaps you are looking at the deck plans of a different ship?? OP is not on Plaza, is on Riviera, although Crown does have a Plaza deck, too. The big deck area being discussed is the aft Terrace pool.

correct - I deleted the post when I took a second look at Deck Plan :-)

No TA and it was marked no upgrade, been on 29 cruises I know the game. :) Problem was that the rep marked it no upgrade unless higher catagory. I never said that ! Picked this cabin for the deck right out of the door.

So not marked “no upgrade” but none unless higher cat, unfortunately what Princess (or any line) call a higher category many don’t think is an improvement, it’s why I now always say No upgrade, full stop.

I haven’t heard anyone mentioning about the term META added to there reservations. It’s always on my reservations & it means that I will only except an upgrade to the next higher category like from inside to Ocean View or Ocean View to Balcony etc. It’s a great thing if you’re willing to be moved to a higher category.

The only time my stateroom was changed was on the Pacific Princess as they needed my inside handicapped stateroom. I was notified by my T/A.

Tom😎

I haven’t heard anyone mentioning about the term META added to there reservations. It’s always on my reservations & it means that I will only except an upgrade to the next higher category like from inside to Ocean View or Ocean View to Balcony etc. It’s a great thing if you’re willing to be moved to a higher category.

The only time my stateroom was changed was on the Pacific Princess as they needed my inside handicapped stateroom. I was notified by my T/A.

Tom😎

But even then you can get moved to a cab8n you really don’t want or like.

Of course they can always move you even when you say no upgrade, but that is really rare, think I’ve only heard of it happening to someone once and that was due to an issue with the selected cabin.

So not marked “no upgrade” but none unless higher cat, unfortunately what Princess (or any line) call a higher category many don’t think is an improvement, it’s why I now always say No upgrade, full stop.

I did say No upgrade! do not know why they marked it like that!

This is exactly what I did not want. I mark all my bookings no upgrade.

Hello

Crown princess 1/16/19 booked inside R736. I chose that cabin because of the huge deck right out the door. Asked to mark no upgrade! What do I see this morning but an email telling me I have been upgraded to plaza deck with a window!

I am going to call when they open wondering what my chance of getting my cabin back is. Anyone care to share their experience with this ?

Thank you Reader

Are you saying you don't want to go from an inside cabin to a perfect location on the Plaza deck in a window cabin? You are the exception, but call and get what you want. I wonder if you need that outside escape for a smoke? That's the only reason I can think you'd decline this lovely upgrade.

Are you saying you don't want to go from an inside cabin to a perfect location on the Plaza deck in a window cabin? You are the exception, but call and get what you want. I wonder if you need that outside escape for a smoke? That's the only reason I can think you'd decline this lovely upgrade.

Actually - the location the OP had is awesome. It is an inside cabin within steps of being at the aft pool area. IMO - the only upgrade that I would take in his situation is a balcony. For someone who loves to be outside - this is the perfect location. This deck area is often empty at night and first thing in the morning so it is like having a large aft deck to yourself. I love the location and I have never smoked a day in my life.

Plaza deck is convenient for International Cafe but not for going outside.

Actually - the location the OP had is awesome. It is an inside cabin within steps of being at the aft pool area. IMO - the only upgrade that I would take in his situation is a balcony. For someone who loves to be outside - this is the perfect location. Not plaza deck.

why would anyone want to go outside if not to SMOKE ???...:mad:

In March, my sister and her husband and my husband and I had close inside cabins. Three days before the cruise, I was notified that I had been “upgraded” to a midship cabin two floors higher. I called immediately and the worker assured me that I would get my original cabin back, but that it wouldn’t show up on my cruise personalizer.

I didn’t know whether to print my documents or not. On the day before the cruise, I called again and the worker told me that I should have called at least five days before to get my original cabin! She then assured me that I would be changed back, but to print the documents as showing on my personalizer.

I printed my documents with the new cabin information and,indeed, that is where I was placed. This cabin was a four-person cabin with the top beds hanging down. It was the most uncomfortable cabin we have experienced in twenty-five cruises!

Point of the story: Don’t believe what you are told. You will be placed wherever they choose. At least that was our experience.

Just checked all four of our booked cruises ~ two in the next few weeks or so. Thankfully, no change. We also choose our cabins carefully as we prefer to be all of the way aft and also like access to the "private" pool. No, we do not smoke either. That's like suggesting that all of us who spring for a balcony are out there secretly smoking.

Don't smoke and yes I booked that cabin for the near by deck/pool! They can keep their lovely upgrade!

Actually - the location the OP had is awesome. It is an inside cabin within steps of being at the aft pool area. IMO - the only upgrade that I would take in his situation is a balcony. For someone who loves to be outside - this is the perfect location. This deck area is often empty at night and first thing in the morning so it is like having a large aft deck to yourself. I love the location and I have never smoked a day in my life.

You are spot on Coral!

why would anyone want to go outside if not to SMOKE ???...:mad:

Some people just don't get it, Volijeep! Have not smoked in at least twenty years,just like the outside in the middle of winter when I am in the caribbean. Since I live in the Northeast.. Have a great weekend ! :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Just got off 28 day Emerald cruise in R740. Loved that cabin location. I chose it and had it marked no upgrade. Booked directly thru Princess. 4 months prior to sailing, i looked at cruise personalizer and was moved to Aloha deck mid ship. I was furious. It took many phone calls but finally got my cabin back. We were traveling with friends who had cabin next to us. They werent moved.

I now will check my cabins every few days.

Myself and friends booked 3 cabins on the Riviera Deck on the Emerald next year to Hawaii. One friend called and asked if I had received an email stating that I was upgraded. This was the day after we linked all three reservations for dining purposes. I said no. She called, it was up two decks and mid ship but not in as desirable location as we had on the Riviera Deck (we are the last balcony room--hence a slightly larger/angled balcony) plus near to the pool, bar and buffet on the upper decks. She read that the reservation had already been upgraded and if she wanted to decline they would do their best to get the original room back. This upgrade was 11 months in advance of our cruise date. She was able to get the original room back. Well I decided to call and put do not upgrade on mine. Come to find out they had in fact upgraded me as well. I was also able to get my original room back. Why would they move 2 of the reservations after linking? We are across the hall from our 3rd friend? This is our first experience with Princess. Had we not specifically picked those rooms for location and other amenities an upgrade would have been nice. I dont understand the reasoning for making the upgrades to far in advance.

Myself and friends booked 3 cabins on the Riviera Deck on the Emerald next year to Hawaii. One friend called and asked if I had received an email stating that I was upgraded. This was the day after we linked all three reservations for dining purposes. I said no. She called, it was up two decks and mid ship but not in as desirable location as we had on the Riviera Deck (we are the last balcony room--hence a slightly larger/angled balcony) plus near to the pool, bar and buffet on the upper decks. She read that the reservation had already been upgraded and if she wanted to decline they would do their best to get the original room back. This upgrade was 11 months in advance of our cruise date. She was able to get the original room back. Well I decided to call and put do not upgrade on mine. Come to find out they had in fact upgraded me as well. I was also able to get my original room back. Why would they move 2 of the reservations after linking? We are across the hall from our 3rd friend? This is our first experience with Princess. Had we not specifically picked those rooms for location and other amenities an upgrade would have been nice. I dont understand the reasoning for making the upgrades to far in advance.

Makes no sense to me especially since it is not an apparent upgrade from where I sit.

Hello

Crown princess 1/16/19 booked inside R736. I chose that cabin because of the huge deck right out the door. Asked to mark no upgrade! What do I see this morning but an email telling me I have been upgraded to plaza deck with a window!

I am going to call when they open wondering what my chance of getting my cabin back is. Anyone care to share their experience with this ?

Thank you Reader

Got a nice upgrade from an inside to a B-1 balcony on Oceania Riviera. I have NO problem taking an upgrade if offered. I usually have deck plans of whatever ship we're going to be on & check where the upgrade is located. Obviously I'd refuse one under the jogging deck, unless I liked being woken up early(I don't!)

OP did get a meta upgrade, but did not want the one received. Wanted no upgrade at all and should not have received one if the reservation was correctly marked.

OP did not give the Plaza deck cabin number, but some of those oceanview cabins can be very undesirable.

o Several are smaller than normal cabins. So much smaller that only one nightstand is there.

o Some have the dreaded 3rd and 4th bunks mounted on the wall.

This was the day after we linked all three reservations for dining purposes. ..... Why would they move 2 of the reservations after linking? We are across the hall from our 3rd friend? .... understand the reasoning for making the upgrades to far in advance.

As you said, you linked the reservations for dining purposes. That is all the linking affects. It does not apply to cabin locations.

As for when the upgrades were made, it has to do with what cabins were selling and which were not. The algorithms said they could resell your original cabins better than selling the cabins that were the upgrades. I have received an upgrade as soon as one hour after booking a cruise, many months before embarkation day.

Just got off 28 day Emerald cruise in R740. Loved that cabin location. I chose it and had it marked no upgrade. Booked directly thru Princess. 4 months prior to sailing, i looked at cruise personalizer and was moved to Aloha deck mid ship. I was furious. It took many phone calls but finally got my cabin back. We were traveling with friends who had cabin next to us. They werent moved.

I now will check my cabins every few days.

marking your booking no upgrade is a request only but anyone can be moved for operational reasons

Got a nice upgrade from an inside to a B-1 balcony on Oceania Riviera. I have NO problem taking an upgrade if offered. I usually have deck plans of whatever ship we're going to be on & check where the upgrade is located. Obviously I'd refuse one under the jogging deck, unless I liked being woken up early(I don't!)

I understand what you are saying I also study the deck plans that is why I picked that cabin! You walk out your door up a few steps you have a huge aft deck and pool! I do not want to be in an inside with a window or not in the middle of the ship! I did ask them to mark it no upgrade! 29 cruises number 30 coming up not a newbie at this circus..lol :)