Future Cruise Credits. How do they work?

MarkBearSF

I've found an itinerary for Summer 2019 that I want to book. We'll be aboard the QM2 this September. I'm wondering if I can save some money by purchasing future cruise credits, but don't know exactly how they work.

If it's a factor, this will be a US booking.

• Can I purchase the credits onboard for an already-booked cruise?
  • Does it matter if the booking is part of a group?
  • Is there a limit?

(For what it's worth, I'm looking at the QM2 New England cruise with a July 4 overnight in Boston, and thinking of booking with the Pied Piper group. I'm sure it will be a sellout, as always, and am willing to book early - but can wait if I can save money.)

Thanks!

I've found an itinerary for Summer 2019 that I want to book. We'll be aboard the QM2 this September. I'm wondering if I can save some money by purchasing future cruise credits, but don't know exactly how they work.

If it's a factor, this will be a US booking.

• Can I purchase the credits onboard for an already-booked cruise?
  • Does it matter if the booking is part of a group?
  • Is there a limit?

(For what it's worth, I'm looking at the QM2 New England cruise with a July 4 overnight in Boston, and thinking of booking with the Pied Piper group. I'm sure it will be a sellout, as always, and am willing to book early - but can wait if I can save money.)

Thanks!

Future cruise credits can only be used against a deposit for a new cruise booking.

Future Cruise Credits are solely for the use of the actual named purchaser.

No limit on the amount that can be purchased by an individual. Vouchers are only valid for 12 months, then expire.

Not redeemable against Saver Fares.

No doubt other CC members will add additional information

The terms are different for US Future Cruise Down payments so hopefully someone with some experience will be able to answer.

For UK bookings they are only valid for a year, the cruise needs to be booked within that time, not taken. For US bookings it was 4 years.

They can only be used with certain fares (in the UK Cunard and Early Saver) so that could be a problem with your group booking.

The terms are different for US Future Cruise Down payments so hopefully someone with some experience will be able to answer.

For UK bookings they are only valid for a year, the cruise needs to be booked within that time, not taken. For US bookings it was 4 years.

They can only be used with certain fares (in the UK Cunard and Early Saver) so that could be a problem with your group booking.

Thank you.

Think it's best for the OP to speak with the Group's PCS

You may also buy them for a third party that is not on board, providing you have all their details, including their World Club number, and you pay for the FCD. I have done this for a friend and another friend has done it for me.

No, For Uk Residents That perk has now been rescinded. FCDs can only be purchased by guests travelling on board. Guests travelling on board cannot purchase an FCD for a friend or family member that is not travelling.

No, For Uk Residents That perk has now been rescinded. FCDs can only be purchased by guests travelling on board. Guests travelling on board cannot purchase an FCD for a friend or family member that is not travelling.

I stand corrected, but it must be very recent, as a friend bought one for my husband and very only two or three months ago.

It is difficult to verify exactly the terms for a US FCD, since almost all useful information other than a few FAQs has been removed from the US Web site. We (US-based) were on QM2 in December 2017 and purchased FCDs, as we have for the past several crossings. The basics are:

- Minimum amount is US$300, which counts as the entire deposit for whichever future cruise to which it is applied

- You have four years in which to use the FCD on another cruise

- The FCD is refundable if unused (not sure about requesting a refund before the end of four years...nothing in the letter we received prohibits it)

- On the furture cruise to which the deposit is applied, you receive OBC. If it is 6-9 days, the per person OBC amount is US$100 for inside and ocean view, US$150 for balcony (and presumably Club Balcony, although that is not stated), US$200 for Grills. For cruises of 10+ days, the amounts are doubled. OBC expires at the end of the chosen voyage and any unused portion will not carry over or be refunded.

- Non-transferable (i.e., only for the person who booked it), only applies to the first two persons in a cabin.

Why not just book the cruise whilst onboard and then either leave it in the hands of Cunard or transfer it to your TA.

Some people are waiting for cruises to be released, liase with friends or to firm up their holiday entitlement. Some just like to browse taking their time.

I booked early because this holiday jaunt is always a very popular sailing, and next year with 7 days and an overnight in Boston, it will certainly sell out early. Furthermore, there are cabins available near the little "pup" lifeboats (8043-8050) which sell fast.

I didn't want to wait.

- Mark

Some people are waiting for cruises to be released, liase with friends or to firm up their holiday entitlement. Some just like to browse taking their time.

My response was to MarkBearSF who already has a cruise in mind for Summer 2019.

It is difficult to verify exactly the terms for a US FCD, since almost all useful information other than a few FAQs has been removed from the US Web site. We (US-based) were on QM2 in December 2017 and purchased FCDs, as we have for the past several crossings. The basics are:

- Minimum amount is US$300, which counts as the entire deposit for whichever future cruise to which it is applied

- You have four years in which to use the FCD on another cruise

- The FCD is refundable if unused (not sure about requesting a refund before the end of four years...nothing in the letter we received prohibits it)

- On the furture cruise to which the deposit is applied, you receive OBC. If it is 6-9 days, the per person OBC amount is US$100 for inside and ocean view, US$150 for balcony (and presumably Club Balcony, although that is not stated), US$200 for Grills. For cruises of 10+ days, the amounts are doubled. OBC expires at the end of the chosen voyage and any unused portion will not carry over or be refunded.

- Non-transferable (i.e., only for the person who booked it), only applies to the first two persons in a cabin.

Hi

Another point to note with the USA FCD terms is that if you book a discounted cruise they are now not giving the OBC which to me is the whole point of purchasing the FC.

They will use the deposit but no OBC given. This has happened to me twice now.:evilsmile:

Hi

Another point to note with the USA FCD terms is that if you book a discounted cruise they are now not giving the OBC which to me is the whole point of purchasing the FC.

They will use the deposit but no OBC given. This has happened to me twice now.:evilsmile:

Hmmm?

I never book a Cunard cruise unless it is discounted via Cunard Sale and always have received the FCC OBC.

I know there is fine print about not applicable to travel industry rates , ect..

I booked early because this holiday jaunt is always a very popular sailing, and next year with 7 days and an overnight in Boston, it will certainly sell out early. Furthermore, there are cabins available near the little "pup" lifeboats (8043-8050) which sell fast.

I didn't want to wait.

- Mark

You might want to check about the overnight in Boston. It may look like an overnight on the schedule, but last year, the departure was not long after midnight (officially the next day ). That would allow people to watch the fireworks display.

You might want to check about the overnight in Boston. It may look like an overnight on the schedule, but last year, the departure was not long after midnight (officially the next day ). That would allow people to watch the fireworks display.

I had noticed that the next day departure time was early (6:00 or 7:00 AM) so I wasn't planning on doing anything in the city the next day. However, it's great that we don't have to be aboard in the afternoon of the 4th.

- Mark

I had noticed that the next day departure time was early (6:00 or 7:00 AM) so I wasn't planning on doing anything in the city the next day. However, it's great that we don't have to be aboard in the afternoon of the 4th.

- Mark

Mark,

If I may ask, how do you find the departure (and arrival) times?

Vince

I love future cruise credits, I just booked an 8 day trans-Atlantic for September, 2019,and my FCC $300 covers my deposit with no further payment until June 28, 2019. If I change my mind the credit can be used for another cruise. I am a US resident, and I booked it on board.

• 2 weeks later...
I love future cruise credits, I just booked an 8 day trans-Atlantic for September, 2019,and my FCC $300 covers my deposit with no further payment until June 28, 2019. If I change my mind the credit can be used for another cruise. I am a US resident, and I booked it on board.

Yes the FCC deposit of $300 can be used on any booking but the on board credit promised when you originally pay the deposit for a future cruise is not always awarded.