Drinks in cabin

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:31 AM.
Charlotte
3,846 Posts
Joined May 2007
I like soda but I don't drink much of it on the ship (We usually go Carnival). I find water, tea, and lemonade to be fine. I do usually pre- order a 12 pack of bottled water - Carnival sells it in the Fun Shops for a reasonable fee. I bring Crystal light packets or the flavor drops to add to it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
7/99 Carnival Imagination
6/01 Carnival Paradise
6/03 RCI Sovereign of the Seas
7/06 RCI Adventure of the Seas
12/08 Holland America Westerdam
6/10 Carnival Glory
6/12 Carnival Ecstasy
6/15 Carnival Victory
7/16 Carnival Magic
1/17 Carnival Conquest

10 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Originally posted by amandaepperson21
big water bottles that I fill with juice in the AM (I see y’all judging me 😂😂).
You should be posting this in the tips section! I will definitely be doing this on my first cruise in July!
H-Town
790 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
We bring our sodas. We bring a rolling cooler and the packs fit easily in the cooler when boarding. We also carry on wine and I bring my own Red Bull and corkscrew, all in the cooler. We order water beforehand and will bring a mug with a lid for carrying drinks around.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We LUV to Cruise! We LUV to Travel!

Carnival Holiday - May 2002
Carnival Celebration - May 2003
Carnival Triumph - August 2007
Carnival Conquest- August 2008
Carnival Victory - May 2009
Carnival Freedom - June 2011
Carnival Triumph - June 2014
Carnival Triumph - June 2015
Carnival Breeze - June 2016
Carnival Freedom - November 2016 - My sisters 50th birthday
Carnival Freedom - June 2017
Carnival Valor - October 2017 - My birthday cruise
Carnival Valor - November 2017 - Thanksgiving cruise
Carnival Breeze - August 2018

Upcoming cruises planned:
October 2018 - birthday cruise
November 2018 - Thanksgiving cruise
Texas
36 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Carnival allows one 12 pack per person. I was so happy we decided to do this. At first I didn't want to go through hassle of lugging the soda on board but they really came in handy and saved us some money on a drink package.
3,055 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by satchimosmom
Does NCL offer canned drinks onboard at all? I’ve got the beverage package, but I’ll need a Pepsi when I first wake up and don’t want to have to go down several floors and across the ship just to find a cafe or bar!
Prior to 2016, NCL allowed us to bring soda onboard - none is allowed anymore.
AFAIK, you would need to go to a cafe or bar to get your soda as I have never seen any canned beverages onboard since the change in rules. You can check with guest relations upon check-in and perhaps they can accommodate you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

12/1/2017 Viking Mayfair - 12 days - Egypt, Pathways of the Pharaohs
8/9/2017 Norwegian Jade - 10 day Norwegian Fjords from London
6/13/2017 Oceania Nautica - Scandanavian Glory from Southhampton
4/14/2017 Viking Emerald - Imperial Jewels of China - 14 day - Beijing to Shanghai
11/2/2016 Celebrity Constellation - Israel and the Mediterannean
6/3/2015 - Oceania Marina -14 night Nordic Exploration
8/31/2014 - Diamond Princess -18 night r/t from Tokyo
10/27/2013 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas -Barcelona/Ft. Lauderdale
10/14/2013 - NCL Norwegian Spirit - Venice to Barcelona
May 2013 - Celebrity Constellation - Amsterdam/Amsterdam
5/5/2013 - Celebrity Constellation -Miami/Amsterdam
August 2011 - NCL Sun - Copenhagen/Copenhagen

EMAIL dogs4fun
Boston, MA
131 Posts
Joined May 2015
Depends on how much soda you want to drink, really. Bear in mind, though, that a few years ago some of the lines banned bringing beverages onboard - period (I know NCL did, and I'm pretty sure Royal did as well....aside from the allotted bottles of wine with a corkage fee). So, PLEASE check with the cruise line before you assume you can actually just do this.

That being said, my boyfriend and I are pretty big soda drinkers. I've sailed on NCL and Royal; he's only done Royal. We generally opt for the all-inclusive beverage package when we sail, either by grabbing it as a "Free at Sea" perk on NCL or by stalking the Royal website and snagging it for 20-30% off. We've calculated what the price needs to be for it to be of value to us. If we can't get that package at a good price, we will at least purchase the soda package. It's literally just soda, and on both NCL and Royal, it's $8.50/person/day. We will easily drink that, particularly if we're paying for each alcoholic beverage we consume.

Even if we were allowed to bring our own (and it used to be an option), we still wouldn't. We feel the package is worth it because we don't have to lug a case of soda with us through embarkation, then lug it around until staterooms are available. Plus, we don't have to run to our room every time we want a soda - we can simply waltz up to any bar or order it directly from the waiter at meals. Sometimes, convenience is the value.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Dawn 10/17/14-10/24/14 Bermuda....er, Bahamas (Hurricane Gonzalo revised my itinerary)
Norwegian Gem 7/11/15-7/18/15 Florida & Bahamas
Norwegian Getaway 1/10/16-1/17/16 Western Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 12/20/16-1/6/2017 Eastern Caribbean

Oasis of the Seas 10/29/2017-11/12/2017 - Western & Eastern...er, Western x2 Caribbean (Hurricanes Irma and Maria this time)
Freedom of the Seas 10/13/2018-10/20/2018 - Southern Caribbean

6,437 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by satchimosmom
Does NCL offer canned drinks onboard at all? I’ve got the beverage package, but I’ll need a Pepsi when I first wake up and don’t want to have to go down several floors and across the ship just to find a cafe or bar!
You can pay oop for cans in the minibar.