Dawn itinerary change to Canada/New England

shof515

Yes but in this case the passengers not allowed into Canada would have been allowed into Bermuda. Does not seem fair since they may have purposely avoided Canada cruises for this purpose. So should they just never be allowed to cruise then since at anytime the cruise line can change the itinerary to Canada?
I agree.

But how do they know this? Do they pull a background check on everyone at the pier? That would take time. Or do they ask with a questionnaire and based on responses say that one is not admissible? Would people that maybe wanted to cancel and misrepresent facts have to prove they actually had a DUI? Or if they misrepresented facts the other way, do Canadian officials pull a criminal check on everyone enroute? We do background checks at work on all new employees and it takes several days, some small towns files even weeks. Maybe they have access to a better system. I never heard of this law before, but luckily have never had a DUI.

But how do they know this? Do they pull a background check on everyone at the pier? That would take time. Or do they ask with a questionnaire and based on responses say that one is not admissible? Would people that maybe wanted to cancel and misrepresent facts have to prove they actually had a DUI? Or if they misrepresented facts the other way, do Canadian officials pull a criminal check on everyone enroute? We do background checks at work on all new employees and it takes several days, some small towns files even weeks. Maybe they have access to a better system. I never heard of this law before, but luckily have never had a DUI.
I also wonder how they know someone has a DUI or whatever.

Maybe they were able to run the passenger list through CBP and CBP flagged folks they wouldn't allow in based on whatever knowledge CBP has on hand.

What is also possible is people carrying passports from countries that require a Visa to enter Canada are being denied boarding because of course they don't have the required Visa.

There are websites that can provide criminal information (for a fee) in a matter on minutes. It makes sense that Canada would be able to obtain it at least as quickly.

Yikes! I never thought about that with cruising but it makes sense. I had a friend and her husband that wanted to honeymoon in Canada and didn't think anything of the restrictions. He had a DUI from 6 years earlier and he was considered inadmissible.

I had a client who was very close to the date when she could enter Canada after a DUI. She told me she would have to pay a hefty fee to have it waived. Decided she wouldn't pay or go.

The safety of the passengers is the number one priority. While Florence is still many days away it's expected to gain strength to a cat 4 or 5 major hurricane that will effect some or many parts of the east coast. Behind Florence are two other TD's that will become hurricanes. One right now shows a track towards Florida by the later part of next week. While cruising is a great vacation one should still be aware of what's out there. Three years ago we were on an RCI ship in late January and a lot of you know the rest of the story as it made National and World news.

What is also possible is people carrying passports from countries that require a Visa to enter Canada are being denied boarding because of course they don't have the required Visa.

May also be that some are traveling without passports which are required for entry into Canada

The safety of the passengers is the number one priority. While Florence is still many days away it's expected to gain strength to a cat 4 or 5 major hurricane that will effect some or many parts of the east coast. Behind Florence are two other TD's that will become hurricanes. One right now shows a track towards Florida by the later part of next week. While cruising is a great vacation one should still be aware of what's out there. Three years ago we were on an RCI ship in late January and a lot of you know the rest of the story as it made National and World news.

XXXXX

Is that the one with the piano doing the self assisted movement in the main atrium back and forth to the timing of

the wave motion ? And to top it off the all the deck furniture not tied down in sync with the same movement.

Right now the weather forecasters are saying it will make a rough go of it south of Bermuda looking perhaps

making landfall along the east coast - petering out and going up the coast or continuing inland potentially causing floods and wind damage.

As big as the cruise ships are they are like floating corks in a giant bathtub.

Weather Reports LINKS:

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-09-07-hurricane-florence-inland-flood-risk

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-09-06-hurricane-florence-atlantic-ocean-bermuda-us-east-coast

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-09-07-hurricane-tropical-storm-florence-olivia-hawaii-forecast

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-09-07-tropical-storm-helene-isaac-hurricane-atlantic-forecast

Safe sailing one and all !

For those with troubled admittance into Canada - at least you won't be put in a dingy and set out to sea there

will be alternatives albeit some not so desirable.

Curious if an airline transports a passenger with incomplete credentials to a destination that will not allow the

entry - it is responsible for returning that passenger back to the point of origin -

Cruise ship lines same situation responsibility ?

We are departing today from Baltimore on RCCL grandeur of the seas, our itinerary was changed from Bermuda to the bahamas. That was to be our only stop so not sure if that had anything to do with it but this is what they sent us

As a result of this unexpected itinerary change, we will be adding a 50% refundable Onboard Credit to your SeaPass account.*This amount will be based on the cruise fare portion paid, non-inclusive of taxes and fees.*If your onboard spend does not reach this amount, the remaining balance will post to your credit card on file.*You will also receive a 50% future cruise credit of your cruise fare paid, for a cruise booked within the next year, in hopes that you will join us on another Bermuda cruise. While we hope you choose to stay, if you decide not to sail with us, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare portion of your cruise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

This is why we usually buy insurance that includes a travel interruption clause. Sadly we did not this time as it was kind of a last minute planning thing. We are leaving this weekend out of New York and ours was changed from Bermuda to the Bahamas and Port Canaveral. Like the other person that said... Make the best of it and don't sweat what you can't control. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

We are departing today from Baltimore on RCCL grandeur of the seas, our itinerary was changed from Bermuda to the bahamas. That was to be our only stop so not sure if that had anything to do with it but this is what they sent us

As a result of this unexpected itinerary change, we will be adding a 50% refundable Onboard Credit to your SeaPass account.*This amount will be based on the cruise fare portion paid, non-inclusive of taxes and fees.*If your onboard spend does not reach this amount, the remaining balance will post to your credit card on file.*You will also receive a 50% future cruise credit of your cruise fare paid, for a cruise booked within the next year, in hopes that you will join us on another Bermuda cruise. While we hope you choose to stay, if you decide not to sail with us, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare portion of your cruise.

Wow that’s a great deal! That’s how cruiselines should treat their guest. There are to many options now for cruises and they should start showing loyalty and respect to those who choose to do business with them instead of the typical “oh well” mentality they have done in the past. Glad to hear they are treating y’all well. Sorry for the changes to your trip!

Yes but in this case the passengers not allowed into Canada would have been allowed into Bermuda. Does not seem fair since they may have purposely avoided Canada cruises for this purpose. So should they just never be allowed to cruise then since at anytime the cruise line can change the itinerary to Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe chose not cruise out of the NE during hurricane season? It doesn’t seem fair that because they have a criminal record, they get a full refund, while others would love a full refund but can’t get one.

There are websites that can provide criminal information (for a fee) in a matter on minutes. It makes sense that Canada would be able to obtain it at least as quickly.

We pay a fee to a third party, and it takes days. Maybe ours are more comprehensive and can be used for legal purposes and we get state and country info, maybe that is what takes so long. And yes maybe they have access to Federal data bases too.

May also be that some are traveling without passports which are required for entry into Canada

You need a passport for entry to Bermuda. Canada and Bermuda have similar entry requirements.

If they were going to be denied entry into Canada, It is also possible they would have trouble with entry into Bermuda as well.

I would anticipate the offer was due to the poor itinerary...

ncl believe they have pulled off good cruises on both their re routed ships in the circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You need a passport for entry to Bermuda. Canada and Bermuda have similar entry requirements.

If they were going to be denied entry into Canada, It is also possible they would have trouble with entry into Bermuda as well.

Similar but not identical.

You don't need a passport to enter Bermuda. Canadians might but US citizens don't.

I know more than one person with DUI's on their (Mass) driving record who have traveled Bermuda and not been denied entry.

Edited by phoenix1181
added information

US citizens on closed loop cruises to either Canada or Bermuda do not require a passport. They can take these cruises (as well as closed loop cruises to the Caribbean) with an official birth certificate and photo ID such as a drivers license.

Further, Canada considers a DUI conviction as the type of crime that is an indictable offense, similar to a felony in the US making it difficult for those with DUIs to enter Canada. Bermuda does not.

Edited by njhorseman

Canada/NE cruises usually cost more than Bahamas runs. From that point of view Dawn is luckier than Escape. I’d have been thrilled with the change. But then again I would never have booked Bermuda to begin with since hubby “can’t stand that boring island”. Lol

An RCI ship switched to Nassau and RCI offers full credit if you want to cancel.

A Carnival ship switched to Grand Turks, Half Moon Cay and Freeport and 25% credit.

In my personal view based on our preferences in itineraries all three of them received a better deal than Escape.

We pay a fee to a third party, and it takes days. Maybe ours are more comprehensive and can be used for legal purposes and we get state and country info, maybe that is what takes so long. And yes maybe they have access to Federal data bases too.
http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/how-does-canada-know.php

Many Americans interested in entering Canada with a DUI or DWI wonder how the Canadian border knows if a visitor has a criminal record. Canada's front-line border agents now have access to more information than ever to help identify potential security risks when screening visitors. As of Nov 23, 2015, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) agents have full access to the FBI criminal database at their primary checkpoints, which allows them to*detect when a visitor has a warrant or a criminal conviction. United States criminal records are visible to border officers through the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC). Operated by the RCMP, the CPIC central police database is interfaced with the United States National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which is the FBI CJIS database interlinked with all federal, tribal, state, and local agencies in the US

http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/how-does-canada-know.php

Many Americans interested in entering Canada with a DUI or DWI wonder how the Canadian border knows if a visitor has a criminal record. Canada's front-line border agents now have access to more information than ever to help identify potential security risks when screening visitors. As of Nov 23, 2015, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) agents have full access to the FBI criminal database at their primary checkpoints, which allows them to*detect when a visitor has a warrant or a criminal conviction. United States criminal records are visible to border officers through the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC). Operated by the RCMP, the CPIC central police database is interfaced with the United States National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which is the FBI CJIS database interlinked with all federal, tribal, state, and local agencies in the US

If my memory serves me correctly, Canada is the only foreign country that has direct access to the NCIC database. Hence it's a lot easier for Canada to deny entry to US citizens with criminal histories than it is for other countries to do so. It's quite understandable that the US has granted that access to Canada given the long US-Canadian border and the ease otherwise of entering Canada from the US.

Referring to the RCI package of 50% OBC and 50% future cruise for being re-routed from Bermuda to Bahamas, kirsty_r gave us this NCL cheer:

I would anticipate the offer was due to the poor itinerary...

ncl believe they have pulled off good cruises on both their re routed ships in the circumstances.

You've got to be kidding me. How is the Escape going to the Bahamas better than the Grandeur going to the Bahamas? Please, take off you NCL colored glasses and explain that to us. And there is no way Canada instead of Bermuda is a better itinerary.

Sorry, but RCI is showing us how passengers should be treated.

Referring to the RCI package of 50% OBC and 50% future cruise for being re-routed from Bermuda to Bahamas, kirsty_r gave us this NCL cheer: You've got to be kidding me. How is the Escape going to the Bahamas better than the Grandeur going to the Bahamas? Please, take off you NCL colored glasses and explain that to us. And there is no way Canada instead of Bermuda is a better itinerary. Sorry, but RCI is showing us how passengers should be treated.

Good for RCCL willing to operate at a significant loss.

Edited by BirdTravels

Good for RCCL willing to operate at a significant loss.
Right. Good for RCCL for recognizing that sometimes, that's what you need to do for your customers. If Wall St is any judge of business practices, it would seem that Wall St is pleased with RCCL, not so much with NCL, over the past 5 years (even the past year).