Eliminate the DSC

dcruiser50

Cruise lines,well for that matter, companies in general, want to advertise the lowest price possible.

Until all cruise lines decide to come together and do it,doubt you will see any single cruise line take that step.

Seabourn have already done it.

Why would anyone care with so much passion about what others do specifically about this subject? Brings to questions the reason for this thread.

...uhm, to me this threat adds no value to future cruisers and it does seems very much like a thread that could be sponsored by the cruise line industry.

OP...I read all the time how someone want this cruise line to do this, or that cruise line to do something else.

I keep wondering, why post here? There’s nothing any of us can do about their policies or pricing structure.

Better to send a letter to NCL directly. At least someone who works for the company will get a look/see at it. To my knowledge, no one here can help.

Cruise lines do monitor Cruise Critic so people's posts do get read. If enough people agree with a proposal I am sure the cruise lines will hear about the feelings. But I agree most times nothing will happen. 100 agreeing comments on here is far better than a single email or letter to NCL

I would say in most first world countries like in Europe, Australia and Singapore there is protection for the consumer under the government law. It comes under the advertising law whereby what the total price the consumer pays must be the quoted price.

The dsc is deemed to be compulsory as you have to pay first and then try and claim the refund after the cruise.

There is no such law in the USA. If the USA consumer agency can out-lobby the Retail Association lobby in Washington then things would change. But imagine NCL advertising the $499 special and it now becomes $600+. What would NCL say about this.

Let me be clear that the DSC does not confuse me nor do I resent it, in fact on all my cruises (16+) I always include extra cash tips over and above to reward exceptional service that I have always received. I just wish that these hard working staff will get all they deserve

As others have stated, I prefer not to pay for services I will not receive for many months. We also extra tip, but would prefer not to pay a higher insurance premium for a service we would not receive if we cancelled.

The ship and all other associated fixed costs have to be paid for by the cruiseline before I sail, so I’m fine paying for them before I sail. But the crew does not get paid until weeks after I sail so why should the cruiseline get to hold my money any sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP...I read all the time how someone want this cruise line to do this, or that cruise line to do something else.

I keep wondering, why post here? There’s nothing any of us can do about their policies or pricing structure.

Better to send a letter to NCL directly. At least someone who works for the company will get a look/see at it. To my knowledge, no one here can help.

It's called discussion and it's the purpose for boards like CC.

If they were to do that then don’t expect the cruise fare to just go up by the amount of the DSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happened with the uk all inclusive. It did go up a bit more but the package includes drinks, water and coffee in restaurants so hard to tell if it was a lot more.. i got a good deal on my cruise later this month so tempted to say it remains good value.

I am a loyal platinum latitudes member and enjoy following CC but I would love to see NCL eliminate the DSC and just add it to the cruise fare, makes sense, less confusion for all. Just a note that the bar servers are not part of the DSC they participate through the 20% gratuity and are paid on commission (verified by ship officers)

Better to allow pricing without promos.

As others have stated, I prefer not to pay for services I will not receive for many months. We also extra tip, but would prefer not to pay a higher insurance premium for a service we would not receive if we cancelled.

The ship and all other associated fixed costs have to be paid for by the cruiseline before I sail, so I’m fine paying for them before I sail. But the crew does not get paid until weeks after I sail so why should the cruiseline get to hold my money any sooner.

Your entire cruise fare is for a service you won’t be getting for several months.

You don’t include refundable monies in the amount of insurance you carry.

The crew is paid every week.

While it is your preference, your rationales are flawed and inaccurate.

Big difference between discussion and whining.

This is whining?:

I am a loyal platinum latitudes member and enjoy following CC but I would love to see NCL eliminate the DSC and just add it to the cruise fare, makes sense, less confusion for all. Just a note that the bar servers are not part of the DSC they participate through the 20% gratuity and are paid on commission (verified by ship officers)

I'd say that is no more whining than this is:

IMO, neither is whining.

Doing the service charges the way that they do (and the other cruise lines with gratuities) works for the cruise line and the employees. As long as that continues to be the case it could be expected that no changes will be made to the practice, regardless of how the passengers feel about it.

Touché......

Let’s say NCL does peruse these threads regularly (I think they may glance at them from time-to-time given they host CC M&Gs every chance they get), their pricing process has not changed. It’s not going to change.

As they are want to do, they have found a pricing process that works. Some of what they’re doing is innovative (i.e. bidding for upgrades, UBP perk, SDP perk, etc).

Their financial results are very good. They have no impetus to change.

All the whining about it isn’t going to change it, unless their business model changes. That doesn’t look like it will happen any time in the foreseeable future.....not when things are going well.

I think NCL are leaning to making their cruises all-inclusive. Its getting harder to book a cruise with just the bare essentials ( no UBP SDP shore excursion credits, etc). You cant even get a stripped down SailAway fare on some cruises when they are first listed for sale (Spirit 2020).

They must be doing pretty good with their all-inclusives or they would back away from that model.

On the other hand, they could always go the way of the airlines. I can see it now: Cruise the Caribbean from $39 for 7 days, not including pool loungers ($25 per day, $50 pool side) umbrellas $25 per day, luggage $50 per bag, carry-on, $25 per bag. Buffet dinner not included $25 each, dining room, $50 each. Lunch at buffet $25, dining room $50. Breakfast the same. Cabin steward, $25 per day. Soap and shampoo $10. Tips and taxes not included, gratuity not included, DSC not included, port charges not included.

Tony

I think NCL are leaning to making their cruises all-inclusive. Its getting harder to book a cruise with just the bare essentials ( no UBP SDP shore excursion credits, etc). You cant even get a stripped down SailAway fare on some cruises when they are first listed for sale (Spirit 2020).

They must be doing pretty good with their all-inclusives or they would back away from that model.

On the other hand, they could always go the way of the airlines. I can see it now: Cruise the Caribbean from $39 for 7 days, not including pool loungers ($25 per day, $50 pool side) umbrellas $25 per day, luggage $50 per bag, carry-on, $25 per bag. Buffet dinner not included $25 each, dining room, $50 each. Lunch at buffet $25, dining room $50. Breakfast the same. Cabin steward, $25 per day. Soap and shampoo $10. Tips and taxes not included, gratuity not included, DSC not included, port charges not included.

Tony

Tony,

We cruise NCL and Celebrity the most, but both lines have gone to price bundling including promos that we don't want or need. We don't drink like a fish and don't want the drink packages. Because of this we recently did a great cruise on Royal Caribbean that was 23 days from Sydney to Seattle. We were Diamond due to being Elite on Celebrity and didn't have to buy an alcoholic drink the entire cruise. The Diamond Happy Hour runs from 4:30 to 8 and you can even order a glass of wine in the MDR up to 8pm. The entertainment on Royal is as good as NCL, and they even have great ice shows. The food is not quite as good as Celebrity, but slightly better in the MDR than NCL.

Their prices are cheaper for the cruises that we have picked so far. Alt least Celebrity doesn't bundle its transatlantic or Repo cruises, so we will still stick to Celebrity for those as well as Royal, unless NCL gives us the option to avoid the price bundling. So far, any cruise that we look at to compare doesn't all avoiding bundling.

Just as prices are dictated by the buyer, wages are dictated by the employee. If a particular job does not pay well enough for you do not take that job. Problem solved.

No it doesn’t even touch the problem. These are apples and oranges here.

<p>I understand that you can fill out a form and request an adjustment. Since the impression of poor service or service in general is subjective to the individual involved and with the frivolous complains I have seen on this site is the reason I made my wish in the first place</p>

That’s why we wanted it included too.

In fact I know people who are removing DSC the first day of every cruise and I highly doubt they pay anything. I don’t think other people should subsidize their cruises.

Probably isn't participating and that is posters excuse to not tip anyone.

Gotcha. Didn't think about that.

Guest Service: Madam, is there a reason you want to remove DSC?

The Person: Absolutely. This $14.99/day DSC is racism even though I received very good services from everyone. Reverse this charge forthwith and give me back my money.

May be I should try this on my next cruise and see how it goes.