"Elderly Excursions" - Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya & Harvest Caye

mds556

My family is sailing on the Getaway in December and we are looking for excursions for my parents that are in there 70s. They are up for anything.....it's usually the "getting there" that's difficult for them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at the Salsa, Salsa in Cozumel, the Jolly Roger-Roatan Catamaran, and maybe Jeeps or dune buggys, or the submarines that are offered at different ports (Costa Maya & Harvest Caye). Does anyone have experience with the "getting" to any fun places? Some walking and stairs is okay, but is there a lot of obstacles, etc?

My family is sailing on the Getaway in December and we are looking for excursions for my parents that are in there 70s. They are up for anything.....it's usually the "getting there" that's difficult for them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at the Salsa, Salsa in Cozumel, the Jolly Roger-Roatan Catamaran, and maybe Jeeps or dune buggys, or the submarines that are offered at different ports (Costa Maya & Harvest Caye). Does anyone have experience with the "getting" to any fun places? Some walking and stairs is okay, but is there a lot of obstacles, etc?

It’s been my experience that the “getting there” is relatively easy, mainly just walking to a parking lot or dock to board the vehicle or boat. If we are boarding a van I always speak up to make sure DH is in the front seat since his agility is not that great for crawling to the back seat. They’ll be fine!

I leave on the same cruise on 9/16/2018. Although I’m only 58 I have more difficulty moving and walking than almost any person in their 70s because I have rheumatoid arthritis. I am doing the Salsa Cooking and dance with beach break in Costa Maya, the Jolly Roger catamaran snorkeling and lunch in Roatan, and The Playa Mia deluxe beach break in Cozumel. I checked with the playa Mia resort and they have assured me that they are completely handicapped accessible and even have sand wheelchairs to help people get to and from the water. I know I can’t dance anymore although I have taken salsa classes when I was younger, but as long as there is not a lot of walking required I should do OK on the salsa and beach break tour. I still need to find out how far I need to be able to walk to get to where the boat or transportation picks up to be sure that I can do the Jolly Roger catamaran but other than that I shouldn’t have any problems because while I can’t walk very well I swim like a fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Roatan, we've used Victor Bodden for transport twice and been quite happy with them. They will provide private transportation anywhere you'd like to go on the island. You pick whatever excursions you'd like to do and they'll take you there: https://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm . We traveled with our 2 year old, so we did all the animal excursions (Iguana farm, Bodden's house with monkeys, sloths and parrots).

In Costa Maya, we loved our excursion, but getting there was a bit challenging. This tour was great - https://www.thenativechoice.com/tours/mayan-experience-tour , a visit to the ruins, with very flat easily walkable ground (we had a 2 year old in a stroller and easily made our way around) and then a really good lunch made by Mayan grandmothers. The downside is they don't pick up passengers at the port, and you can see the distance to their office here: https://www.thenativechoice.com/find-us . They recommend a cab for travelers with disabilities, but there were no cabs when we departed the port (we saw them when we returned). If this tour is something your parents would really like to do, I'd recommend they contact the Native choice people and ask if they can arrange for a cab ahead of time to meet them at the pier.

• Like 1

Did the Salsa and Salsa dance and it was very fun. It was like a comedy show while making the Salsa. Sat more than danced which was fine with me. Dancing was by choice. Some people just watched the rest of us make fools out of ourselves with our two left feet, but we all had a great time.

Did the Salsa and Salsa dance and it was very fun. It was like a comedy show while making the Salsa. Sat more than danced which was fine with me. Dancing was by choice. Some people just watched the rest of us make fools out of ourselves with our two left feet, but we all had a great time.

How much walking was required to get to the transport for the tour? Some ports have some type of golf cart type vehicles to transport people from the ship to the end of the dock. Do they have this at the Costa Maya port? When you get to the area where the NCL people are holding signs, how much further do you have to walk to get to the bus or van that’s providing transportation?

Maybe after a few margaritas I would be more inclined to get up and dance! ;)

How much walking was required to get to the transport for the tour? Some ports have some type of golf cart type vehicles to transport people from the ship to the end of the dock. Do they have this at the Costa Maya port? When you get to the area where the NCL people are holding signs, how much further do you have to walk to get to the bus or van that’s providing transportation?

Good question....I wasn't thinking about the pier walk. I know that can be far at some. Maybe they would have a wheelchair they can provide just for that.

In Costa Maya there is a tram that provides transportation from one end of the very long pier to the shore end. However, in all my cruises that stopped in Costa Maya, I am not sure what the schedule may be as it appears that once the long tram is completely filled and returns to the shore end, it sits for a while at that end waiting for passengers to go back out.

Once you are on shore, there is a gathering area where tours are organized. From there you must walk out of the port area to the public area outside the port. It takes about a minute or so for the able bodied to do the walk.

In Costa Maya there is a tram that provides transportation from one end of the very long pier to the shore end. However, in all my cruises that stopped in Costa Maya, I am not sure what the schedule may be as it appears that once the long tram is completely filled and returns to the shore end, it sits for a while at that end waiting for passengers to go back out.

Once you are on shore, there is a gathering area where tours are organized. From there you must walk out of the port area to the public area outside the port. It takes about a minute or so for the able bodied to do the walk.

Ummmm, So 10 minutes for me. Gotcha!

We used Ronys tours in Roatan- they picked us up right by the port so no problem. In Cozumel we did a cooking class at a restaurant that was about a ten minute walk- not difficult. Details and links here if helpful https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/

• Like 1

Dear wife and I are in our early 7os, but can keep up with a younger group. I walk 3.2 miles every other day and still cut my almost acre yard every week.

However, we find that certain activities that we once enjoyed, we don't want to do anymore. We are not interested in beach time, since that involves massive sun exposure and skin cancer concerns.

Also, we would not be interested in a submarine or dune buggy tour. A glass bottom boat to see the coral and sea life would be great. Historical or cultural activities are great. Zip lining, probably not.

I don't remember exactly how much was involved, but it was a short walk to the bus and maybe a half block to the Salsa. I am in my 60's and have only 1 good foot and 70 lbs overweight and I made it with no difficulties.

I don't remember exactly how much was involved, but it was a short walk to the bus and maybe a half block to the Salsa. I am in my 60's and have only 1 good foot and 70 lbs overweight and I made it with no difficulties.

It’s embarrassing to say but I can only make it to the back of a walmart super center if I have a grocery cart to lean on! During a flare I would need a scooter to traverse that distance so I should probably talk to someone at the shore excursion desk when I get on board.

• 3 weeks later...

I went on NCL Getaway 9/16-23 to Costa Maya, Harvest Caye, Roatan, and Cozumel using a scooter for the first time. I checked with the excursion desk as soon as I boarded and they intern checked with each of the tours that I was interested in. They were all accessible for me and my scooter! I did the Salsa, Salsa, & Beach break in Costa Maya, the Jolly Rogers Catamaran, Snorkel, with lunch in Roatan, and the Playa Mia deluxe beach break in Cozumel. They were all great!