How long should I expect it to take to get off Marina in European ports.? I am

stipmom

concerned about meeting private tour guide by 10:30 when we do not dock until 10.

If you dock at 10 no problem. But ship needs to be cleared and if you tender all bets are off.

To end your worry, don t pay in advance and then tell guide you ll call him when ship docks and clears.

Have done this many times, just ask or find one that will work with you in this regard.

Have even missed a port due to bad weather, or other unforeseen conditions,,,if you pay in advance VERY HARD or impossible to get money back when abroad.

;Yes, I have,,when sort of forced, given deposits before. Just TRY to avoid it.Have been lucky in many ports doing this. In some out of the way countries, like Viet Nam,Russia,etc,,,,,have just opted for ships tour.Felt safer and had little luck finding on my own.On a few, told guide we would go on own back to ship,,after tipping him.So much depends on WHICH country and port you re in.

If you are docking than this shouldn't be a problem. These guides do this all the time. It is their livelihood. Contact your guide and ask them what their policy is for 1. lateness (how long will they wait), 2. cancellation if ship doesn't port and 3. refund. The policy for prepaying or a required deposit is often dependent on where you are in the world. Your guide will be the best source of accurate information. Often they will tell you what time to meet knowing the disembarkation time and port particulars. We have had only one incident on Oceania where we were late in a docking situation due to wind. It wasn't handled well by Oceania and it was mayhem getting off the ship. All of the private guides were out there waiting even though we were a hour getting off the ship. Make sure you have their phone number/email to provide a heads up to what is happening on the ship and an estimate of when you disembark.