Single cruiser/double points

fishn4sun

If you mean towards different VIFP status it's by days cruised, not cost of the cruise. A party in the most expensive suite earns the same number of nights as a party in the lowest cost inside cabin. How much you or I paid has nothing to do with it. Perhaps it should but...

If you mean towards different VIFP status it's by days cruised, not cost of the cruise. A party in the most expensive suite earns the same number of nights as a party in the lowest cost inside cabin. How much you or I paid has nothing to do with it. Perhaps it should but...

Right, but single cruisers are paying double as if there were another person in the cabin so it would be nice if we could get the points for our phantom cruiser. Doesn’t matter what type of cabin it is or what the price is.

I've been thinking about this and it will still be a long time before I can take advantage of this, but the one time you could benefit from being a single cruiser it during one of the milestone cruises.

Since get you 25, 50 or 75% and so on back in on-ship credit on "the price of your booking" during a milestone that the one time I'd pay for the Captains suite as a single person and then stuff the rest of the family(wife and kids) in dirt cheap interior. Then my wife would just move cabins suite once on board. I've read the rules and I haven't seen anything that would prevent this.

This is one of the things that drove me from Carnival to Norwegian... Though you don't technically get extra points for paying double occupancy, they do have "Latitudes insider offers" where you do get an extra point per night. They also used to give another point per night if booked 9 months in advance. Taking advantage of these offers allowed me to become Platinum after only five 7 night cruises...

Yes, I have never understood why Carnival doesn't do double points like RCCL. I usually sail with friends but in my own cabin so on RCCL I am just 3 nights away from being Emerald. I just turned Platinum on Carnival on my last cruise but that took 40 years so I don't think there is anyway for me to hit Diamond before I die.

I've been thinking about this and it will still be a long time before I can take advantage of this, but the one time you could benefit from being a single cruiser it during one of the milestone cruises.

Since get you 25, 50 or 75% and so on back in on-ship credit on "the price of your booking" during a milestone that the one time I'd pay for the Captains suite as a single person and then stuff the rest of the family(wife and kids) in dirt cheap interior. Then my wife would just move cabins suite once on board. I've read the rules and I haven't seen anything that would prevent this.

But you would still pay double as a solo cruiser - so doesn't matter if wife is on original booking or not??? Or am I missing something?

Right, but single cruisers are paying double as if there were another person in the cabin so it would be nice if we could get the points for our phantom cruiser. Doesn’t matter what type of cabin it is or what the price is.

What you are saying is you pay more, so what you should get is a cheaper price, not disagreeing with that. It's still one person sailing x number of nights, which is what the points are based on.

Dead horse? Meet Louisville Slugger!

Yeah, you're right. I'm out of this one at this point.

What you are saying is you pay more, so what you should get is a cheaper price, not disagreeing with that. It's still one person sailing x number of nights, which is what the points are based on.

Yeah, you're right. I'm out of this one at this point.

If I need to pay for two people then I should get double points. If they want to reduce the price by only having me pay for one person, then I’m OK with getting one set of points.

when did rcl start giving double pts as i read above. I got fed up and quit cruising 2 years ago .... but rcl never gave me double pts for all my solo cruises. News to me that they changed this policy.

Ill have to ask and it might make it more worth it to book rcl in the future.

Im paying X 2. I did see a partial ov transit that said no solo supplement but it conflicted with what i already had booked. not sure if it was a typo, but i did see that one cruise where i think paradise is doing a partial transit of the panama canal and had ovs for no supplement.

Ive occassionally run into a better deal on a balcony on carnival for solo than for insides, but i agree the solo deals are rare on carnival.

just one of the things that made me quit cruising and ive probably done close to 100 cruises id guess on multiple lines.

If I need to pay for two people then I should get double points. If they want to reduce the price by only having me pay for one person, then I’m OK with getting one set of points.

You are Platinum. You know it is the number of nights sailed. It does not matter how much you pay or why you pay it.

You are Platinum. You know it is the number of nights sailed. It does not matter how much you pay or why you pay it.

Yes I know how it works. All I am saying is if they are making me pay for 2 people it would be nice to get the points for the person that I am paying for that doesn’t exist. I have heard that other lines do this and it would be nice for Carnival to do as well.

BUT... its about how many nights you, the individual, has sailed on any of carnivals ships, meaning, your VIFP number reflects the number of nights you sailed.

the double charge is the cost of the cruise, you didnt sail double nights. the VIFP status reflects the number of nights that particular person in accordance with his or her VIFP number sailed and they award one point per night, regardless of what you paid.

the amount you pay for cruising solo is a surcharge, you do not pay double port fees for example, you pay for one person.

I understand. However, my mystery cabin mate that does not exist doesn’t accrue points, yet they are charged full fare. Sure, there’s no port fees as I’m sure that would cause some difficulty with Customs when trying to count actual physical bodies. Maybe they should let my shadow cruiser have their own VIFP number. Or give me the option to pay a fee equal to the port fees so that I can accrue the VIFP points. I would be fine with that. Carnival gets the double fare, some more additional cash, and it doesn’t cost them anything. At least I can get something for having to pay for my spirit freeloader!

It’s true. I get screwed on this 2-3 times a year.

Since Carnival's reward system is based on DAYS CRUISED not points or money spent, you are getting what the program allows, simple as that. You know that going in, so you are not getting screwed in any way. If you do not like the current program rules, do not use it.

when did rcl start giving double pts as i read above. I got fed up and quit cruising 2 years ago .... but rcl never gave me double pts for all my solo cruises. News to me that they changed this policy.

Im paying X 2. I did see a partial ov transit that said no solo supplement but it conflicted with what i already had booked. not sure if it was a typo, but i did see that one cruise where i think paradise is doing a partial transit of the panama canal and had ovs for no supplement.

Ive occassionally run into a better deal on a balcony on carnival for solo than for insides, but i agree the solo deals are rare on carnival.

just one of the things that made me quit cruising and ive probably done close to 100 cruises id guess on multiple lines.

Royal Caribbean started this in 2013. So for a 7 night cruise I would get 14 points. This is why I just need three more nights to get to Emerald. I really don't understand why Carnival doesn't do the same for their solo passengers. I even ask John Heald about it but he never responded.

Royal Caribbean started this in 2013. So for a 7 night cruise I would get 14 points. This is why I just need three more nights to get to Emerald. I really don't understand why Carnival doesn't do the same for their solo passengers. I even ask John Heald about it but he never responded.

I believe Celebrity does as well. So at least if my cabin mate bails on me for Edge and I’m stuck paying for my whole cabin I’ll get double points. That makes me feel a little better. Although I really don’t want to foot that entire bill!

Carnival does nothing for solo cruisers besides giving us the honor of paying for someone who doesn’t exist. At least a few years ago when the rates were cheaper, it wasn’t so bad. But now over $1000 for one person in an inside on a 7 day cruise is getting a steep. We can’t get any love.

I understand. However, my mystery cabin mate that does not exist doesn’t accrue points, yet they are charged full fare. Sure, there’s no port fees as I’m sure that would cause some difficulty with Customs when trying to count actual physical bodies. Maybe they should let my shadow cruiser have their own VIFP number. Or give me the option to pay a fee equal to the port fees so that I can accrue the VIFP points. I would be fine with that. Carnival gets the double fare, some more additional cash, and it doesn’t cost them anything. At least I can get something for having to pay for my spirit freeloader!

There is no "mystery cabin mate", "shadow cruiser" or "spirit freeloader". You are paying to have a solo cabin and a bed that you do not want anyone else to use. That is the state of the program at this time. Paying the port fees for a "fake second person" would have nothing to do with you getting the additional VIFP points which are really the DAYS CRUISED by a real person, not ports visited. Using your logic, you should be complaining about higher fares for first and business class seats, better seats in sports venues, better seats at concerts, or for a stretch limo rather than a town car. What you should be requesting is single cabins that only have one bed in them and are half the size of a double cabin and priced for one person.

There is no "mystery cabin mate", "shadow cruiser" or "spirit freeloader". You are paying to have a solo cabin and a bed that you do not want anyone else to use. That is the state of the program at this time. Paying the port fees for a "fake second person" would have nothing to do with you getting the additional VIFP points which are really the DAYS CRUISED by a real person, not ports visited. Using your logic, you should be complaining about higher fares for first and business class seats, better seats in sports venues, better seats at concerts, or for a stretch limo rather than a town car. What you should be requesting is single cabins that only have one bed in them and are half the size of a double cabin and priced for one person.

No problem. Give me a 1A and charge me for one person. If Celebrity and RC can give double points, why can’t Carnival? And no I shouldn’t complain about those other things. I’m not asking for a suite to be the same price as an inside. I’m asking not to be penalized for cruising by myself. Or at least if that’s the way it has to be, give me the benefit of paying for 2 people. A cabin to myself isn’t necessarily a luxury.